Spot Armor Flaw

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Lursi
Spot Armor Flaw

Post by Lursi » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:30 pm

Hi Folks,

I just played a human elementarist at 7th cirlce and used “Spot Armor Flaw” to deepen the impact of my damage spells.

I wondered... is this a correct application of this talent?

It would have made a nice addition to the discipline at higher circles.

Lursi
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.

Tattered Rags

Re: Spot Armor Flaw

Post by Tattered Rags » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:16 pm

As GM, I don't think I would allow this. It's interesting, but doesn't quite sit right with me. Maybe with spells that target PD only, but even then I'm not sold on it.

I consider it really only viable for martial attacks (melee, unarmed, ranged, throwing).

However, like I said, it's interesting. It's also not necessarily counter rules as intended. Versatility messes with everything! But Rule of Cool is reason enough to let you do it.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:53 am

Spot Armor Flaw isn't intended to allow enhanced damage from spells -- even if they go against Physical Armor.

Spells aren't "aimed" the same way as physical attacks (whether close combat or ranged), and so shouldn't be able to take advantage of the "weak point" idea that Spot Armor Flaw is supposed to represent.

As Rags said, Versatility can mess with anything. We did our best to catch (and minimize) the worst potential abuses, but given there are over 200 talents in the Player's Guide and Companion, it is really hard to cover every eventuality.

That said, if you're finding that it doesn't seem to be breaking anything... have fun.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Lursi

Post by Lursi » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:09 am

Thanks for feedback!

I would put it the following:

A) it is of course only helping a “physical”
damage spell
B) if you add it in high circle (9+) for the casters, they cant take it with versatility earlier on.
C) i am not yet sure if it shifts the balance too much. I think about reducing the damage bonus to plus 1.

Another radical thought i had was treating all physical damage spells like missiles allowing avoid blow against them.

Maybe just for a few evenings to see how ut plays.
Of all things I lost, sanity I held dearest.