Maneuver

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
FrozenVomit
Maneuver

Post by FrozenVomit » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:12 am

MANEUVER Step: Rank + Dexterity Step Action: Yes Skill Use: Yes Requires Karma: No Strain: None Discipline Talent: Swordmaster

When using the Maneuver talent, the character sacrifices his attack to try to avoid attacks made against him. The character must direct the Maneuver talent against one opponent. The character makes a Maneuver Action Test instead of an Attack Test, using the result of the test as his or her Physical Defense for the round even if the result is lower than his normal Physical Defense. If the character avoids all attacks during the round in which he uses Maneuver, in the next round he adds his rank in Maneuver talent to the result of the next Attack Test he makes against the opponent he out-maneuvered. If this attack hits, the character also adds his Maneuver Rank to the Damage Test result.

1st question.
Let's say we are 3 attacking 1 creature.

I got the best Init and I decide to use maneuver against the creature. No luck I got 3 on my roll, 3 is now my new Physical Defense.

The creature attack,he have 2 attacks. I have luck! the 2 attacks target my 2 friends.

Technically I avoided all the attack in the round that I used Maneuver. Does Maneuver activate? Do I absolute need to be targeted?

2nd Question

I sacrifice my attack to do maneuver. Can I still do Second weapon OR Second attack OR use my second attack that I gain with Air Dance?
Technically they are not action. Right? I only sacrifice my 1st "attack"

FrozenVomit

Re: Maneuver

Post by FrozenVomit » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:34 am

Forgat to mention that this is 1st Edition

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:44 am

A couple of things.

First, this only applies to earlier versions of the talent -- ED4 doesn't work quite the same way. That said...

I would allow the Maneuver bonus to activate in your example -- you did avoid all attacks that round.

I would not allow Second Attack in the same round as Maneuver, since you didn't make a first attack, you can't very well make a second (and the ED1 description says you have to use the same weapon you used for the first attack, which you didn't make...). That it isn't an action is kind of secondary.

Second Weapon isn't as specific in its wording, though it does say it allows the adept to "attack with two different weapons." I'm personally inclined to allow it, but require that it be the "off hand" weapon.

For Air Dance... I'm inclined to allow the "extra" attack as well, but I can understand why somebody else might not (as with Second Attack, there's no primary attack made that would allow an "extra" one). Honestly, this situation (using Air Dance in the same round as Maneuver) would only show up in a multi-Discipline or Versatility situation. (In ED1 Swordmasters don't get Air Dance and Warriors don't get Maneuver.) In those kinds of situations... in my opinion, what "works" starts to depend on the rest of the group and how things seem to fall, balance-wise.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

FrozenVomit

Post by FrozenVomit » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:07 am

Well said! I hope my Table agreed.