dog

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
earcaraxe
dog

Post by earcaraxe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:06 pm

In the GM's guide, doesnt the description of the simple "dog" on page 277 miss a number about the tracking skill of the dog? Or is it simply a step 6 (=untrained)? It might be an oversight, considering all the other dogs have a number on it.

Belenus

Re: dog

Post by Belenus » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:59 pm

I only have the german GM's guide and therefore can only guess that your "simple dog" is our "watchdog".
Since its description says he's used to guard a specific place and not to travel and hunt, I would say it's correct that he doesn't have the tracking skill at all.
So it would be step 6 (=untrained) + 2 (sense of smell)

lanir

Re: dog

Post by lanir » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:29 pm

I think you're referring to the guard dog entry. It makes sense as the average domestic canine isn't necessarily any good at tracking. Step 6 sounded low for realism; they may not be great at it but they're clearly better than an untrained human.

But it's actually step 8 with the bonus from their enhanced senses. This pushes their untrained tracking ability higher than any human can reach without training. So it feels like the numbers here make a lot of sense.

Edit: Blah. I should drink coffee before responding. Just realized I repeated what Belenus said.