Group True Pattern Threads

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
ottdmk
Group True Pattern Threads

Post by ottdmk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:59 pm

So, as it looks like my adventuring group in a Play By Post game is going to be setting up a Group True Pattern. For the most part, the benefits seem pretty straightforward. I'm just looking for clarity on one thing: Durability Rating.

Say you tie a thread to your Group Pattern Item, and define it as helping Durability Rating as per page 230. The way I see it, it means that you then recalculate your Unconsciousness and Death Ratings using the new Durability value. So, if you're a 5th Circle Warrior who has tied his Durability Rating thread all the way up to 5th Rank your Unconsciousness Rating would now be (Toughness x 2) + ((Durability Value 7 + Thread Rank 5 = 12) x 5). So a Human Warrior with a Toughness of 13 would end up with an Uncon of 86 and a Death Rating of 97 with that (admittedly very pricey) Thread at Circle 5.

Have I got that straight, or am I missing something?

ender3rd

Re: Group True Pattern Threads

Post by ender3rd » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:14 pm

My understanding is that the thread raises your effective circle. Thus the same hypothetical Human Warrior with T=13 would be (Toughness x 2) + (Durability Value 7 x (5 + Thread Rank 5 = 10)) for a total of 96 uncon and 112 death rating

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:16 pm

OK, I can see that making more sense. Thanks!

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:01 pm

Just thought of something... how would this work with multiple Disciplines?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:33 am

It applies to the highest Circle.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:14 pm

If member of a Group misses his chance to re-new his oath, will he lose all his threads, and after re-joining he needs to spend Legend Points again, or threads will be inactive, but after re-joining will work normally?

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:49 pm

You need to look at several different sections of the Players Guide. Pages 235-236 and 219.

Page 219 says "Weaving permanent threads requires a character to spend Legend Points based on the item and the rank of the thread being woven. The expenditure of Legend Points creates the permanent thread".
It also says "Losing Threads: All of a character’s active threads are usually lost when that character dies."
and "Legend Points spent on a permanent thread cannot be recovered, even if the thread is unwoven, displaced, or otherwise destroyed. Weaving permanent threads offers significant advantages, but the character must consider that he may spend the Legend Points and ultimately have nothing to show for it."

Pages 235 and 236 tell us that all members of the group must be present (with their Group Pattern Item) when the group is renewed (at least once a year) or new members added (at which time the entire group would, I assume, be renewed for a year). I believe the purpose of this is to force groups to be manageably small.

Page 236 talks about "members who missed a renewal ceremony or died and lost their threads to the Group True Pattern can re-join the group as if they were new members" in the same sentence, as if dying and not being at the ceremony were pretty much the same thing as far as the group pattern were concerned. When you die, you loose all your threads and thus are no longer in the group. If the group is renewed or reformed without you, you are no longer in the group and thus would lose your threads.

The next section says "If a character loses his Group Pattern Item, he cannot weave more threads to the Group True Pattern, and any threads already woven will lose their benefit until he recovers the item." So here is a circumstance where it talks about "losing the benefit" for a while, but it never mentions that not being at a renewal is in this category. So it seems to me that loosing your Group Pattern Item is a bit bad, but is only a temporary setback, so long you can get it back in time to be present (with your GPI) when the group pattern is next renewed.

Thus I would say, yes, if a Group Pattern is renewed or reformed (new members added), any threads attached by members not present at the renewal (now former members) are lost for good, and assuming the person joins again, would need to spend LP on his threads again. If you have a small group that gets together frequently, it is probably a good idea to not wait until the last day to renew your group pattern.