Spellcasting Knacks

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Strand
Spellcasting Knacks

Post by Strand » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:39 pm

I was wondering if you could perform multiple spellcasting knacks in the same turn?

The wizard spellcasting knacks are mostly buffs for a ally, like Arcane Edge and Arcane Accuracy.

It states that if you perform a thread weaving test in that round you may perform this knack as a simple action.
Which seems to me that if you had both knacks you could perform both at the same time being simple actions.

But there is a rule that states that knacks cannot be combined unless specifically stated.

Just wondering what the official ruling is.

Panda

Re: Spellcasting Knacks

Post by Panda » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:55 pm

No, you still cannot. It's the same talent and you can't use it more than once a round.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Regarding the simple actions and them being not limited per round: What we do on our table, is limiting them to one per "type" per round.

Best example is Battle Shout, Battle Bellow, and Taunt. All those are simple actions. During one round of 6 seconds, the players is limited to one use of his mouth as a simple action. He has to chose one of those talents and cannot use multiples. He is however free to also use Maneuver, which uses his feet/legs, and anticipate blow, which relies on his senses&experience.

That way the Spellcasting-knacks which are a simple action when you use Threadweaving, use your Spellcasting talent and you can use it only once.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:20 am

Aegharan wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:23 pm
Regarding the simple actions and them being not limited per round: What we do on our table, is limiting them to one per "type" per round.

Best example is Battle Shout, Battle Bellow, and Taunt. All those are simple actions. During one round of 6 seconds, the players is limited to one use of his mouth as a simple action. He has to chose one of those talents and cannot use multiples. He is however free to also use Maneuver, which uses his feet/legs, and anticipate blow, which relies on his senses&experience.

Makes sense. No matter how 'unlimited' the number of simple actions you can make, you are still limited to what is (meta)humanly possible:

- You CAN draw you sword while battle shouting, parrying an attack and run toward your target.
- You CANNOT Taunt, Battle Shout and yell a warning to a character at the same time: you only have 1 mouth!

Tattered Rags

Post by Tattered Rags » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:20 am
you only have 1 mouth!
::laughs in Bone Crown::
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Lamoron

Post by Lamoron » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
You CANNOT Taunt, Battle Shout and yell a warning to a character at the same time: you only have 1 mouth!
KILL THAT "Insert inappropriate adjective" BEHIND YOU!

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:02 pm

Lamoron wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 pm
Bonhumm wrote:
You CANNOT Taunt, Battle Shout and yell a warning to a character at the same time: you only have 1 mouth!
KILL THAT "Insert inappropriate adjective" BEHIND YOU!
Made my day <3

Ferretmonger

Post by Ferretmonger » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:07 pm

So would you also disallow someone casting a spell and Taunt in the same round, as "the one mouth" is used for cssting the spell?

I would allow it in a heartbeat since ED is magically unreal in other instances as well. Trying to shoehorn some logic into ED isn't always the best way to go, imo.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:35 am

Most spells don't require speech to cast them.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Spader

Post by Spader » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:42 am

Ferretmonger wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:07 pm
So would you also disallow someone casting a spell and Taunt in the same round, as "the one mouth" is used for cssting the spell?
If the description of the spell says the caster needs to speak some words, I would encourage my player to make a demonstration of how all of it would sound, have a good laugh and allow for the rolls.