Elemental Spear - Water

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Jason
Elemental Spear - Water

Post by Jason » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Reading Elemental Spear - Water, I am unclear on the intended effect.

Is the intended reading, target heals Will + 4 and can spend a recovery test at +2 (no other modifiers)?
I ask, because this seems to break the 'healing always takes a recover test' that exists elsewhere and the few exceptions specifically call that out.

I would have expected this to be more like grove renewal in impact (Elementalist or target spends a recover test for the effect) or at least have some sort of use limit. Otherwise out of combat, the Elementalist could just fire Elemental Spear - Water at every one until they are fully healed of damage, leaving recovery tests primarily for in combat usage (IE fire blood) and wound recovery.
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)

etherial

Re: Elemental Spear - Water

Post by etherial » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:17 pm

Jason wrote:Reading Elemental Spear - Water, I am unclear on the intended effect.

Is the intended reading, target heals Will + 4 and can spend a recovery test at +2 (no other modifiers)?
I ask, because this seems to break the 'healing always takes a recover test' that exists elsewhere and the few exceptions specifically call that out.

I would have expected this to be more like grove renewal in impact (Elementalist or target spends a recover test for the effect) or at least have some sort of use limit. Otherwise out of combat, the Elementalist could just fire Elemental Spear - Water at every one until they are fully healed of damage, leaving recovery tests primarily for in combat usage (IE fire blood) and wound recovery.
I can tell you from experience that Recovery Test at +2 (no other modifiers) is pretty terrible IME.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:27 pm

etherial wrote:
Jason wrote:Reading Elemental Spear - Water, I am unclear on the intended effect.

I can tell you from experience that Recovery Test at +2 (no other modifiers) is pretty terrible IME.
Sorry, my question really comes from the first half of the reading.
Water spears heal instead of harm; the target may immediately spend a Recovery test with a +2 bonus (this may not be affected by other healing aids).
Does the first part mean that
a) the effect test Will + 4 is changed to healing, meaning recovery test free healing
or
b) that the effect test is ignored
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)

etherial

Post by etherial » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:51 pm

Jason wrote:
etherial wrote:

Sorry, my question really comes from the first half of the reading.
Water spears heal instead of harm; the target may immediately spend a Recovery test with a +2 bonus (this may not be affected by other healing aids).
Does the first part mean that
a) the effect test Will + 4 is changed to healing, meaning recovery test free healing
or
b) that the effect test is ignored
Sorry, should have finished my tea before posting. I tried running it with the Effect Test ignored and it just wasn't worth it. I think that's RAI, but I recommend running it differently.

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:09 pm

"Water spears heal instead of harm; the target may immediately spend a Recovery test with a +2 bonus (this may not be affected by other healing aids)."

Its because healing during combat is Really Rare (Fireblood only as I think, and it cost Standard Action). Other than that you have to wait for an hour after combat, also an hour needs to past from Recovery test to Recovery test.

So if someone can make Recovery test during combat its Great, even more if he can spend Karma on it. It requires 1 thread, so its obvious you will weave additional thread to make it from +2 to +4, or even better Additional Target (+1). With no other means to heal during combat its Life Saver.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks for the responses.

It did seem weak with just the recovery test at +2. However healing with out a recovery test seemed out of character (recovery test free healing). It is ok on a consumable, however, it breaks as part of a spell as it basically creates free limitless healing out of combat. Even allowing the Effect Test even in combat, it would still allow 'limitless' healing that would be significant.

comparing it to Grove renewal, it is a weaker heal in or out of combat. However that makes some sense given that Elemental Spear - Water fits in the same matrix as the other Elemental Spears.
Out of Combat, Grove renewal is R+5 +2/success healing
In Combat, Grove renewal is Out of Combat * 4 + extra threads
ES-W is ~8-10 + extra threads depending on toughness, unclear if there should be a +2/success (as it adds to effect, but effect is replaced)
Both require a recovery test, Grove renewal from either, ES-W from target.

Given the above, I agree that RAI shouldn't include the effect test, but should be replaced.

Lys

Post by Lys » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Here's an easy fix: Elemental Spear Water allows the the target to spend a Recovery Test to heal with a bonus of Effect Test +2. So the total bonus becomes the Caster's Will+6, which is really good, but it still costs a Recovery Test.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Text could easily use some clarification. Adding a "ignore effect test information" would provide enough clarity.

Razan is right though: this would be way too strong if it offered flat healing without a recovery test use. There's basically one thing I'm aware of that does that, and it's the Healing Potion, not any Talent or Spell. So it's definitely just "RT @ +2" and nothing else.

I think that's it for clarification. But if you're worried about power level...

I personally think it's fine. This is in-combat healing available to all, which basically is only available from Elementalist spells; otherwise, each individual needs Fireblood. It's healing all at once, setting it apart from Grove Renewal, and I'd argue should be weaker for the all-at-once aspect (someone about to die needs that 15 health right now, not a few health per turn). Unlike Grove Renewal, this is a true RT, which means both Karma can be used on it AND an enterprising Adept that drank a Booster Potion early can benefit from it (last 24 hours or until bonus used). Finally, next Circle, two extra threads can be applied, making this comparable to a Booster Potion on its own.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:11 am

A quick note about Healing Potions, in this context:
Healing Potion: A healing potion automatically heals one Wound and grants a +8 bonus to the character’s next Recovery test within 24 hours. If the character has no Recovery tests left when ingesting the potion, he may choose to make an immediate Recovery test with a Step 8/2D6.
So, even Healing Potions use RTs, it's just that they ALSO provide a free RT if the Adept doesn't have one.

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:15 am

@The Undying,

I agree with everything you said except using the booster potion before hand:
Oh, and would the +2 effect per extra success on casting impact the RT then?