Hypothetical Talent: Forge Arcana

Discussion on playing Earthdawn. Experiences, stories, and questions related to being a player.
Tattered Rags
Re: Hypothetical Talent: Forge Arcana

Post by Tattered Rags » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:29 pm

The concept, and the specific use of "foci," brings to mind foci in Shadowrun. They are items of specific intent (such as increasing magic power, etc.) and might be a good source for ideas on how to apply this concept to Earthdawn.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Dougansf wrote:I think it might make more sense as a Forge Weapon Knack around Rank 6.
Another great point. Not sure why I jumped to a new Talent. If you squint, I think you could see this as a knack for Forge Weapon. Even if isn't right and tight, still probably better than a completely new Talent.

My personal preference would still be to have it as Warden tier for my previous reasons, but I think more than anything, that's really just personal preference. I don't think there's anything wrong placing it at Journeyman.

I'll take a look at the spells in the PG and think on wording. "Effect Step" is I think only going to catch a handful of other spells but I agree, finding a way to limit it to damage is more in keeping, especially if it is a knack to Forge Weapon. Maybe be enough to say "spell damage Step" but that could also catch spells that use terms other than Effect Step for damage, which could be worse. An example here is stuff that is "Circle + N" which scales much more slowly and can't benefit from Willforce but IS used for damage step in some cases.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Tattered Rags wrote:The concept, and the specific use of "foci," brings to mind foci in Shadowrun. They are items of specific intent (such as increasing magic power, etc.) and might be a good source for ideas on how to apply this concept to Earthdawn.
While a foci might be useful if it were built upon, I was really just looking for something to attach the effect to rather than building up something substantially new. "Foci" in other universes tend to add a lot of things that I don't think belong in ED, or that we want, removal of ingredients being a primary example.

Technically, we already have a good attachment point: the grimoire. An Adept can only have one grimoire (they may be carrying others, but only one counts as "their" grimoire), so that'd be a logical place to put this effect. HOWEVER, and this is a pretty significant however, I'm afraid it would add more confusion than help because there are already rules for casting FROM the grimoire. Attaching this effect there might lead people to believe the benefit is restrict to grimoire casting, which isn't the intent, grimoire casting already gets a native bump with the extra success.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:55 am

Another point might be matrix items.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:03 am

Matrix items are another interesting alternatives with other design space or possible points of confusion.

The bonus, a new design space, is that Forge Arcana could be restricted for use on Matrix objects, meaning that only spells cast through that matrix receive the bonus. That's interesting and flavorful, adds a more concrete visual to it (the Weaponsmith strengthens the True Pattern of the Matrix Object, allowing it to focus astral energy more effectively, resulting in improved Effect), and increases the cost factor (magicians have to improve each object). The down side is that it can never be used to improve Talents, which is going to be the lion's share of matrices that a magician likely has.

The possible confusion, if we DO NOT want to use the previously mentioned design space, is that players may assume that that is the result, even if it's not the intent. Knack description specifically addressing this could help, but given the discussion over in another thread where people are reading RAW as allowing multiple Wounds per hit while I think it's fairly clear that it is one Wound per hit, I'm not keen on even a hint of ambiguity. :)