AAR: [12M] Dancing with Spirits (2021-03-28 @ 18:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Montaugh
Re: AAR: [12M] Dancing with Spirits (2021-03-28 @ 18:00 GMT)

Post by Montaugh » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:36 pm

My name is William Carver, I am a Circle 11 Scout, Circle 9 Thief, Circle 7 Cavalryman and a Journeyman of the 5th rank.

Karl contacted Dubhan, Zil, Xeviouz and myself for help with completing the deed for his thread item Earworm.
We traveled to the location that we thought the first owner Noldraen Longshoulder was laid to rest. We found his tombstone near a large tree, Karl played his flute and an air spirit was called to us name Zephyr. He listened to the song that Karl played and it was missing something, a sense of rhythm.

Zephyr sent us to an old opera house from before the scourge, it laid in ruins but there we encountered a spirit by the name of Carmen. She offered to teach Karl a better sense of rhythm, and he started dancing with her. He seems to have forgotten the lessons we learned as young novice adepts, though to be fair he was not dancing with a dead child. As soon as the dancing started other spirits appeared and attacked us. Zil was ruthless banishing the spirits left and right, Xeviouz engaged then as normal, and one of them took my face. I don't mean he copied my face, I mean he flat out removed my face, eyes, nose, mouth.. I can only imagine what I looked like to the others. Of all of us to be targeted by that power, I might have been the best suited to losing my face, not that I recommend it. I quickly used echolocation but failed to taut the spirit with hand gestures. The fight was over shortly as is the case with Wardens traveling together. We then returned to Zephyr and Karl one more played his flute.

Zephyr told us that something else was missing. Karl was missing the power of the wind. He told us of a spirit that was driven mad by the scourge. Typhon was the name of the spirit. He was found in some nearby mountains. We traveled to the general area and I scouted out the location of Typhon. Zil tried to summon a powerful Earth Elemental to aid us, but was unable to do so. This is where things went sideways on the adventure... Typhon was a very powerful spirit, more powerful than nearly everything else I have currently encountered. He engulfed Dubhan, Karl, Ruben, Charlie, and myself in the with is blowing winds, Dubhan was knocked out, Charlie came closer to death than he has ever come before and he and I were knocked down. I ordered charlie to flee as I ran in another direction in the hopes that it would chase me and not Charlie, I need not hae done so though. Karl rose to the challenge and managed to kill Typhon in a flaming hell that consumed him with a well placed Flame Arrow. The other air elementals were also quickly killed, the fight was over so quickly I never got to get a shot off with Shepard's Strength. We returned to Zephyr and Karl played the song on his flute once more, this time the spirit was happy with it and said that it was a fitting legacy to Longshoulder.

William Carver

Waijhou

Re: AAR: [12M] Dancing with Spirits (2021-03-28 @ 18:00 GMT)

Post by Waijhou » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:20 pm

Sunday March 28, 2021

Rumors Karl Tomsson : Karl needs to fulfill a Deed for his flute/whistle "Earworm". He gathers a group to. Travel far away to where this Spirit supposedly resides. Maybe he can find a nobleperson to finance the Trip?

I was approached by my good friend Karl about helping him with a spirit and a flute. I naturally accepted his invitation. I don't know what a flute and spirit have in common but I am always willing to assist a friend. Aso along for the adventure were William Carver, Zil, and Dubhan.

We begin doing some research at the Great Library of what I guess is the previous owner of Karls’ flute. I think we are supposed to go find the body and or spirit of the guy and talk to him/it? No too sure, nobody tells me the book stuff. We are to look for a tree among trees, what ever that means. We leave Throal, headed west. We are heading to 17.11 We secure passage on an air ship called Take On Me, with Captain Ah Ha.

As we are approaching our destination, we see the ruins of a previous building and on the hill we see a very large tree, much bigger than any others in the area. Perhaps this is the tree of trees. Captain Ah Ha lets us off at the ruins, saying he will hang around for a couple days before departing.
We began to search the area. Dubahn says the Astral is clear in this area. Zil is looking for spirits. Karls seems to think there is something in the ground by the tree, buried.
I think it is a grave, there seems to be a spirit in the area, it is talking about the song Karl is playing on his flute. Karl doesn't understand him, but Zil does. Zil begins to interpret for Karl. The spirit is telling Karl to go to an opera house and play a tune for a long dead dancer, she will appear and dance, I guess that teaches Karl about rhythm ? Not sure, but we seem to be going to the spot where once an opera house stood.

We reach the ruined Opera House, much of it is still standing as it was created out of large stone. THe insides are not doing so well. Karl pulls out his flute and begins to play. The song he plays is pretty nice, as he goes along the astral seems to shift and it almost feels like the stage appears, and seats and balconies. Then I can make out a spirit, it is dancing. After the song ends, the Spirit, later identified as Carmen, asks what we are doing here. Karl begins talking to the Spirit Carmen about rhythm. Karl and the spirit Carmen begin to dance, then several other spirits emerge and lok threatinly at Karl. There is a battle between the late arriving spirits; that are all jealous of Karl dancing with Spirit Carmen, and the rest of us. The spirits are not intent on causing us physical harm, but they are very good at taunting.

We head back to the tree. We recover from the battle as Karl talks to the spirit again. THe spirit is impressed with karls new skill but says he needs more training. He needs to learn from the power of wind. He sends us to see an air spirit to the north named Titan. It is about a day's march to the north. We tak to Zil about what we can expect when facing an older Air Elemental htat is insane. We prepare for battle with the crazy elder air elemental.

When we reach the area this elder Air Spirit is supposed to be roaming, we see the clouds start to spiral and a small tornado touches the ground right before us. THere are 4 air elementals here and we engage in battle. Titan does an erage attack knocking almost all the party members down, Dubahn is unconscious. Karl moves to the side taking careful aim and kills Titan with a single arrow. The other 4 air elementals are quickly put down. It takes a day to get back to the tree where Karl plays his flute with his new found meaning of air. THe tree is pleased and gives Karl his blessing. We head back to Throal.