[2M] A Day with No Color Sticks @ 23:59 PM GMT 2/26/2021

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Lashana
AAR: [2M] A Day with No Color Sticks @ 23:59 PM GMT 2/26/2021

Post by Lashana » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:57 am

AAR: A Day with No Color Sticks
GM: Shannanigans
ECR: 2
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Youghdel: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs
Patrique: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs
Skriblz: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs
Kayapo: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs
Orfen: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs
Itzal: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs

GM Reward: SoBelle:

Downtime:

Summary:
The Adepts went on a shopping expedition for the supplies needed to make replacement color sticks for Skriblz. They took on a colony of bats to recovery a bushel of walnuts before moving on to the Harper Farm. At the Harper Farm they managed to deescalate the tensions between the Harpers and the Dorsetts by determining that it was actually a free ranging group of dyres that had damaged the fence and raided the farm. They earned the beets and radishes they had come for there. The Dorsetts gave them all knitted mittens and made Skriblz a custom box for her color sticks. Their last stop took them to meet with the apiarist Rugnare Brightmantle. She was initially unable to help them as she was dealing with the raiding influence of 4 juvenile bears. But the party was able to supply a suitable deterrent to keep the bears away from the hives. Doing so encouraged Rugnare to supply the needed honeycomb as well as honey.
As they were leaving they also noticed they were covered in streaks of color. They were able to figure out it was from pollen in the flowers - dandylions, sunflowers and indigo which they determined could be used to make yellow, orange and green.

bronzemountain

Bar Tales: The One With the Beets

Post by bronzemountain » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:02 pm

Right. So I'm at the Lazy Cumquat. Or maybe the Hair Cumquat. The Staring Cumquat? I don't know, it's some bleeding bar with the name Cumquat. That's a funny word. Cumquat. It's sort of just becoming sounds now.

Anyway. So I'm there, and some folks are saying how the cumquat is a ferocious rodent, see, and others are saying what it's some kind of citrus fruit and things are getting rowdy, which is the best thing that things can get. The citrus fruit gang seems smarter so I side with them, also on account of there's this one bloke on that side who has a fine fucking scarf and you gotta respect a good scarf.

Of course, we get into it. Fists flying. Beer and blood everywhere. Fucking glorious.

Then this human walks in and she wants help getting some vegetables and nuts and honey. Now I figured this was on account of her being a trash-diving gutter snipe, and there ain't nothing wrong with that. But it turns out she doesn't want to eat any of this, and I mean, since the vegetables involved are beets and radishes, good on her. I wouldn't want to eat that shite either. She also says that there's likely to be some tussling involved.

So I figure sure, why not, let's help this human bash some farmer's face in and abscond with their veggies. Fine way to spend an afternoon. Joining in are two more windlings, because if there's one thing windlings know it's how to mug farmers. Don't fucking interrupt me in me own story ya cheeky bugger. If I say that's how it is, that's how it is. Unless you want your teeth relocated to your rectum. Yeah, didn't think so.

We got these two blokes, one all skinny and spooky like and the other all in tune with the spirits. Bunch of tosh if you ask me but they seem keen enough. Then there's another human, you know the type. Cock of the walk. Good for talking the guard down. And there's this elf who's up for it. So we've got our crew and off we go because fuck farmers.

Actually, first we gotta go to this tree what has the walnuts. It also has bats. Big fucking bats. With red glowing eyes and teeth made of ice. Every time they beat their wings, it's like the sound of babies screaming. They navigate by sending out the cries of wailing widows and measuring how they bounce back. That's called echolocation it is, and now you know a big word you fancy tosser.

The elf, whose name is Orphan, which seems likely enough if you ain't got folks t'name you but is kind of embarrassing for namegivers at large seeing as how we're about the giving of names, anyway, this girl lights my sword on fire. No not like that you wanker. Me actual sword on actual fire. Me metaphorical sword don't need any help lighting on metaphorical fire. At least your literal mum didn't think so.

Now I've got me a flaming sword and I'm zipping around like Death's own torch bearer. Itzal, me spooky mate, is ripping into the souls of these flying demon rats, and Kayapo, me spiritual mate, is calling up leopard spirits and such. The bats get done proper, and we put a bunch of nuts in sacks which is where nuts belong in the first place.

Then we go to give these farmers what's theirs. Except they're already on the warpath and looking to scuffle and that's my kind of mood so I go with them. There's some other family of dirt pickers named the, uh, Dermots, or Rednots, or fuck. I don't remember. The bad ones. I'm with the good ones. But it turns out the whole, whatever, the raison' de guerre, the cassus belli if you will, is actually a bunch of dyres, which are basically what happens when a bull humps a mountain and a baby happens. I'm sad that there's to be no dust up but everyone else seems happy so job done, we get the beets and the radishes.

Finally, it's time to get the honey. Now I've got it in me head that the way to get honey is to punch a bear till it gives it up. Turns out honey comes from adorable houses, bit smaller than what's comfortable for the likes of me. Right cute little things, though. Except it turns out bears are involved and smashed up the houses! I'm all for smashing some bear face but Kayapo has some clever tosh about putting boards with nails and spikes in them around the bee houses on account of no bear likes to step on a bunch of nails.

Now I'm familiar with boards with nails in them, what with them being a fine way to bash uppity wankers so as they remember it proper. But this way involves just leaving them around. I'm skeptical but fuck me, it worked. So, learn something new every time, right? It also turns out that if you kip in a field of wildflowers you get turned into all kinds of colors from their pollen and I don't mind saying I looked fucking beautiful.

Somehow, somewhere along the way, we got paid. I'm not sure for what, but mostly I guess for kicking bats in the bollocks. And the human girl got her these sticks that are like candles that you don't light on fire but rub on paper.

And that's how I made this drawing of you after I kicked your nose flat and why the blood actually looks red. Now ain't that a thing! Now go give this story to the Great Library, that's a lad.

Xzandrate

Re: [2M] A Day with No Color Sticks @ 23:59 PM GMT 2/26/2021

Post by Xzandrate » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:36 pm

Bonjour Patrique's Pals,

Today I will take you on the exciting journey to bring you a new item. Caduceure Crayons! These wonderful sticks of color allow you to put the powers of an Illusionist to parchment. (Pre-order yours today friends!)

We life in a mountain, and they dominate our lives, so we begin with the color to draw the mountains, brown. My extensive information network had informed me that the best thing to use was the shells of the walnut fruit. I travelled with some friends to a large walnut tree in a beautiful meadow. We collected the walnuts and found the tree to be inhabited by messenger bats. How fortunate, this presented me the opportunity to collect guano for the new Songsters Smelling Salts by Patrique. (guaranteed all Organic)

Next, we needed to color in the sunsetting over the mountains we live in. This needed a majestic red, the kind extracted from certain root vegetables. We visited a farm and made a wonderful deal with a new Pal who loved his beets and radishes (Merci little Harper). The locals recognized me and brought further gifts, such delightful cookies. But we still needed more.

The key to our contraption is the secret ingredient from bees. We visited a rather renowned keeper of bees, she was exasperated and fell at our feet when we arrived. Others were trying to claim the ingredients I needed. The bears, woodland thieves! We constructed some defenses to keep the bears away and tested them the next night. It was a success, the bears left and did not return! (Order you own Passions Protection Sticks to keep bears from your loved ones.) Given the luck of the Passions we also came across a number of other colours in this plains as the flowers painted Patrique and his Pals. We returned home and I worked hard to bring you these new sticks of color.

Supplies are limited, act fast, and stay tuned for the next issue of Patrique's Pals.

Serespar

Re: [2M] A Day with No Color Sticks @ 23:59 PM GMT 2/26/2021

Post by Serespar » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:01 pm

From the journal of Kayapo

I am struck sometimes about the difficulty in balancing the need to be gentle with the truth, with speaking your personal truth when others are so caught up in themselves that they endanger others.

Skriblz the human beastmaster asked me to join her as she sought out the ingredients she would need to make color sticks for her art work. I was of course delighted to assist. We were joined by Orfen the elven elementalist, Patrique the human troubadour and two new friends, both windlings; Itzal the Nethermancer and Youghdel the Sky Raider.

Skriblz needed three ingredients for her color sticks; two to make dye and one for the crayon itself, and an artist friend of hers had explained to her where to find them. Near Juniper Holler (hex 40.09) were walnut trees where we would could gather nuts for a brown dye. The goodfolk of Harper Farm (hex 37.07) had quality beets and radishes for the red dyes Skriblz wanted to use. Quality honeycomb wax could be obtained from an apiarist in a flower vale near Sosanopa (hex 37.05). And so, we set out.

Travel went smoothly as we approached the grove near Juniper Hollow. There, we found a cauldron of bats quietly nesting in a large walnut tree. As we planned to gently move beneath the tree to gather fallen walnuts, I was greatly saddened by Orfen. The young elf ran up speaking loudly, so full of herself as she disturbed the bats that they took flight and attacked. It sickened me to have to kill some of nature’s innocent creatures because of her thoughtlessness and the way she endangered others. I do not wish to add any sand to the rock polisher of life that she will encounter, but this is the second time she has put other lives at risk because she is so self involved. The way things are headed, I fear that she will likely get someone killed and never notice or take ownership of her role in their death. I pray that her process of growing up gets through to her gently, without harm to others.

After gathering the walnuts and saying a prayer over the unnecessary dead from the colony of bats, we moved on.

At Harper Farm, we ran across two neighboring families of farmers about to enter into a violent disagreement over a broken fence and some uprooted vegetables. Youghdel seemed quite enthusiastic about the impending mayhem. Investigating, we discovered a trio of Dyre had found the field to be a tasty place to eat, defused the situation, and obtained the beets and radishes Skriblz needed.

In the Flower Vale, we discovered the apiarist had been having trouble with the local bears. We showed her how Skunk Boards (spare pieces of wood with sharp objects nailed in so that they poke through the other side) could be placed poke ‘em side up around the hives, to deter the bears without really harming them. We watched that night as the bears moved on to easier non-hive prey, satisfied that things were in balance with Namegiver and Nature living side by side in harmony. As we were leaving, we noticed that we had been covered in colorful pollens during our time in the flower vale. I made a gift of a sketch book to Skriblz, showing her what plants could be used for what colors as she uses nature’s bounty to grace her art.

predajey

Excerpts from Orfen's Journal Entry

Post by predajey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Crammed in a corner and covered in dust is a dense book detailing the travels of Orfen. Amidst the myriad of the Throalic handwriting are a few nuggets of completely irrelevant thoughts from her. It would take a researcher hours just to determine if there is any information worthy of note. The text remains unaltered to maintain its authenticity (Certain terms and names written wrong to keep in character). As you begin reading the entry, a nearby scholar looks at what you're reading, eyebrows raised, and simply says, "Good luck" as they resume reading. It takes about 6 hours to read the entire entry.

"We set out to collect all manner of deliciousness! I'm not sure why everyone has such an aversion to beets and radishes. Honey, I can understand. Honey is good."

"Not sure why it's still dangerous so close to Throal. Vralino has done many wonderful things to make the area safe. Her idol Juniper also does a great many deeds to create a safe area to reside. It should be particularly safe near Sosanopa and Juniper Hollow."

"I know all about these bats. They're used as messenger bats. I'm not sure how, though. They don't seem capable of reciting any linguistic sounds, let alone messages."

"...farm feud with the Dorsets! There will be so much need for a physician! I can show the team how awesome I am with my rescue kit!"

"The fence had hooved indentions, possibly belonging to Strakkonya? Or maybe a pig? No, they're too small for a pig. They have to be something larger, like a larger pig? Or a cow? Definitely not the work of the Dorsets."

"BEARS!!! Wow, this Kayapo fellow knows a lot about bears! Maybe even more than I do! I could only accent his knowledge with my own."

"We shouldn't be covered in pollen for long. I've heard of bad things happening because of pollen. While it is pretty, it can be poisonous or paralytic, or it could even trigger allergies! We could use it to create different colored honey, too. That would be a wonderful shortcut to making Skribl's color sticks! I know a bit of alchemy, but not enough to make color sticks."

Other bits were found amongst the ramblings that were quite entertaining, even though they weren't really relevant to the journey:

"EVERYONE'S SO PUFFY!!! AIR ARMOR EVERYWHERE!!! YOU GET AN AIR ARMOR, AND YOU GET AN AIR ARMOR!!! I hope Patrique doesn't try to start an Air Armored clothing line."

"There's so much guano everywhere! Why is Patrique collecting it!?! He's bat shit crazy, I swear!"

"Grandma said something about reinforcing reactions. I wonder if I can do something like that with Youghdel? I'll light his sword on fire every time he gets excited about a fight. Maybe people will fear him when he gets excited? He definitely seems to enjoy the burning blade, parading it around like he summoned it himself."

"A windling? Complaining about tiny houses? That seems a bit hypocritical."

"Now that Youghdel has applied the leather straps, the Air Armor makes him look like he has bulging muscles everywhere. He even looks like he's packing an extra weapon, like a club or something."

"I like orange. Why couldn't I be covered in orange? How did I get stuck with maroon? It is the least festive color I can think of. WHAT KIND OF FLOWER HAS MAROON POLLEN!?!"