AAR: [10H] To Travel on Swift Winds (2021-02-21 1800 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:28 am

LFG: [10H] To Travel on Swift Winds
Time: 2021-02-21 @ 18:00 GMT
GM: Xzandrate
Difficulty: 10 Hard

Rumor: : Thorkell has heard rumors of the Swiftwind, a Troll moot that are masters of airship design and gear enchantment. He would like to meet this group and learn from them, maybe forging an Alliance in the process.
Requesting Player: Thorkell
Reward: 1 time use of Crystal Plate Pattern, Living Crystal alt reward

Notes: Up to 5 players (1 PM Eastern)
Last edited by Xzandrate on Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lashana

Re: LFG: [10H] To Travel on Swift Winds (2021-02-21 1800 GMT)

Post by Lashana » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:33 am

Name: LaShana
Last played on: 2021/2/12 (possibly)
ECR: 10 (491715)
Discipline: Thief 10/Scout 6
Quote/Unique: Well that was....interesting/fun/unique!! Can we do it again?
Notable Abilities: Enthusiasm and an ability to fumble/stumble into trouble. Can also open...and close....doors - possibly even if they are locked....and a wicked bow
Also can speak some languages, track things, be incredibly sneaky, survive a bit in the wild while navigating! 😁
Downtime: none

verse86

Post by verse86 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:47 am

Name: Thorkell Gulbrandsen
Date of Last Game Played: My Rumor
ECR: 10
Discipline: Weaponsmith 9/Warrior 5
Unique: Thorkell brings the downtime activities. Besides that he is a perceptive and tanky troll.
Downtime:
[Craftsman] Rank 9 / 33 (+2 if metal) can make mundane items, weapons, and armor
[Efficient Forge Weapon] Rank 11 / 26 (+2 if metal) (can forge rank weapons at once)
[Rapid Forge Weapon] Rank 11 / 26 (+2 if metal) (can use extra successes to reduce downtime by 1 day each)
[Rapid Forge Armor] Rank 11 / 26 (+2 if metal) (can use extra successes to reduce downtime by 1 day each)
[Item History] Rank 4 / 24
[Research] Rank 6 / 22
[Design Enchanting Pattern] Rank 10 / 30
[Craft True Pattern] Rank 10 / 34 (+2 if metal)

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:22 am

Name: Zil
Date Player last played: Event
ECR: 11
Discipline: Elementalist 11th circle on the path of the purifier / Exemplar of Garlen - Windling
Quote/Unique:May the blessings of Garlen be upon you! Travel in style with a party Elementalist! Heat Food! Plant Feast! Purify Water! Shelter! Air Mattress! All the comforts of home upon the road.
Notable Abilities: Questor of Garlen, Physician. Lots and Lots of very good healing.
Downtime: Research rank 4, step 12 (step 15 if pay 20 sp for library access).
    Item History Rank 4 (step 16).

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:01 pm

Name: Karl Tomsson
Date of Last Game Played: 2021-01-30
ECR: 11
Discipline: Archer (11) & Beastmaster (9)
Quote/Unique: I see.
Notable Abilities: Fighting, talking, and cuddling the biggest Bear in known Barsaive.
Downtime:
Animal Training (talent rank 11 step 22)
Forge Weapon (rank 10 Step 22, several successes, probably)
Research (Rank 5 Step 16, or Step 19 with Library Access)
Last edited by Aegharan on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

etherial

Post by etherial » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:45 am

Name: Daldorer
Last Game Played:2021-01-30 (or maybe 2-20)
Effective Circle: 11
Discipline: Nethermancer
Quote/Unique: Daddy can make you feel better
Notable Abilities: Banish, Critical Thinking, Evidence Analysis
Downtime:
  • Alchemy Step 8 (Rank 3) Recipes: Booster Potion and Small Light Quartz
  • Item History Step 20 (Rank 8) (Historian: Extra Successes reduce Research Times)
  • Research Step 44 (Rank 12) (Librarian: Extra Successes reduce Research Times)
  • Patterncraft 24 (Rank 12) :
    • Craft Blood Charm
    • Craft True Pattern
    • Design Enchanting Pattern
    • Incorporate Bound Spirit
    • Incorporate Glyph

Waijhou

Post by Waijhou » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:06 pm

Name: Xeviouz
Last time you (player, not character) played: EVENT: 1.30.21
Circle: 11/6(ECR11)
Discipline: Warrior/Horror Stalker
Quote/Unique: Lets do this!
Notable Abilities: Sword & Board
Downtime: ---

verse86

Post by verse86 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:33 pm

LaShana, Zil, Karl, and Daldorer: thank you for joining me.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:59 am

AAR: To Travel on Swift Winds
GM: Xzandrate
ECR: 10
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
Thorkell: 104000 lp, 1150 sp, 5 TIPs, 1900 sp of Living Crystal
LaShana: 104,000 LP 2100 SP 5 TIP
Zil: 104,000 LP 2100 SP 5 TIP
Karl: 104,000 LP 1,600 SP 5 TIP, 1,000 SP worth of Living Crystal
Daldorer: 104,000 LP 2100 SP 5 TIP

Alternate Rewards:

Journal Reward: +5200 LP, +525 SP

GM Reward:Moe'uhane - 124,000 LP 2000 SP 3 TIPS

Downtime:
Thorkell:
[Craftsman] Rank 9 / 33 (+2 if metal) can make mundane items, weapons, and armor
[Efficient Forge Weapon] Rank 11 / 26 (+2 if metal) (can forge rank weapons at once)
[Rapid Forge Weapon] Rank 11 / 26 (+2 if metal) (can use extra successes to reduce downtime by 1 day each)
[Rapid Forge Armor] Rank 11 / 26 (+2 if metal) (can use extra successes to reduce downtime by 1 day each)
[Item History] Rank 4 / 24
[Research] Rank 6 / 22
[Design Enchanting Pattern] Rank 10 / 30
[Craft True Pattern] Rank 10 / 34 (+2 if metal)

Zil:
Research rank 4, step 12 (step 15 if pay 20 sp for library access).
Item History Rank 4 (step 16).

Karl:
Animal Training (talent rank 11 step 22)
Forge Weapon (rank 10 Step 22, several successes, probably)
Research (Rank 5 Step 16, or Step 19 with Library Access)

Daldorer:
Alchemy Step 8 (Rank 3) Recipes: Booster Potion and Small Light Quartz
Item History Step 20 (Rank 8) (Historian: Extra Successes reduce Research Times)
Research Step 44 (Rank 12) (Librarian: Extra Successes reduce Research Times)
Patterncraft 24 (Rank 12) :
Craft Blood Charm
Craft True Pattern
Design Enchanting Pattern
Incorporate Bound Spirit
Incorporate Glyph

Summary: The adepts have made more formal diplomatic contact with the StoneClaw moot of the eastern Twilight Peaks, as well as the Swiftwind moot in the more central peaks. A disturbance in the ancestral Gray Forest had caused a lack of True Wood. The adepts met the Gray Woman of the forest and she directed them to destroy the Dark Heart that corrupted the forest.

verse86

Post by verse86 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:06 am

Thorkell's Journal:
I am excited to finally meet the Swiftwind moot. I have heard great things about their enchanters and shipwrights. Learning the ways of Troll master craftsmen is a dream come true.

I was able to procure travel with some merchants on their way to Travar. Making this journey with me is LaShana and Zil as well as some of LaShana's acquaintances: Karl and Daldorer.

We were dropped off east of the mountains. The merchants left quickly to not risk any Crystal Raider attacks. We started making our way west in the direction of the Swiftwind moot. On our second day we encountered an airship coming in low from behind us. We performed a show of force by throwing spells into the air just so they knew we were not pushovers. We waited for the ship's approach hoping for the best. Three trolls jumped from the ship and were obviously adepts because they descended slowly towards us. I greeted the three and was happy to find that the group was from the Stoneclaw moot who were on friendlier terms with Throal.The leader of the group introduced himself as Gravin Heartspear and warned us that our current path would lead us into magma beasts who had recently started attacking the area. I informed them that I wished to meet with the Swiftwind and he let me know that they were much higher up and would be hard to reach by foot. He offered to take us to the Stoneclaw moot where we could discuss procuring travel to the Swiftwind moot. Zil granted us wings to fly up to the airship. At this time I saw one of the more unusual sights in my life. Karl's gigantic bear, Reuben was given wings and after much coaxing from Karl flew up to the air ship. Once upon the ship we were able to see first hand some of the damages the magma beasts had inflicted. Many of the crew were in poor condition. Zil offered to treat their wounds which they gladly accepted.

Gravin did ask to see some of my handiwork to which I offered him Skuld which seemed to satisfy him. He introduced me to one the the Stoneclaw's apprentice enchanters named Savaga Stonesong Obsidifang. I enjoyed her company and learning of their more traditional Troll styles of enchanting. *notes are scribbled on Trollish enchantment designs for the next several pages*

Of note for Throal's archives, the Twilight Peaks were always described as lush and verdant. It seems the blight of the scourge has not released its grip and much of the land is still barren.

Upon arrival we met with Krathin Stoneclaw, their chieftain. He was very hospitable and willing to help us reach our destination. They prepared a feast where their warriors told tales of their exploits. They asked us to share tales of our adventures. I decided to tell them of the Scourge invasion of Kampung Gajah partially to let them know of the threat as well as possibly garner an alliance. I'm not sure if it had the desired effect, but all present were rather impressed with our stories. They even gave us the largest flagons I've ever seen as what seemed like a reward. The continued on in a raucous manner. At some point I did note LaShana had finished her drink which had to have at least been her own volume. I think she could drink some trolls under the table.

The next day we departed for the Swiftwind moot. The Stoneclaws had some trade business with them which worked out perfectly for us. Their path to the moot was winding and rather difficult to follow. I can not say I would be able to retrace my steps if I needed.

The chieftain came to greet the Stoneclaws who then introduce him to us as Forgoth Thunderarm Swiftwind. I introduce myself and offered him a necklace of the finest quality I could create before telling him my reason for coming. After hearing that Throal's records tell of the great enchanters and shipwrights of the Swiftwinds, he laughed and told me not to let them hear that. He left the Stoneclaws to their business and invited us in to discuss matters.

On a side note, I noticed a rather interesting cannon (very similar to a fire cannon) the Swiftwind gave to the Stoneclaws that on closer inspection was made of wood. I believe this device may actually propel water to fight the magma beasts. *drawings and notes on the cannon fill the rest of the page*

We seated ourselves at an exquisitely crafted crystal table to discuss matters. He introduced us to his crystal master Drana Crystalsinger Firewalker and his head shipwright Baral Hullcleaver Rockfall. I informed Chieftain Swiftwind of the Scourge threat and how I believed an alliance could be beneficial for all. Unfortunately, there was a bit of a misunderstanding and he believed I was a representative of Throal. I let him know I was there more for my own personal reasons but would love to open a relationship with them and Throal. Once he realized I did not have the might of Throal behind me he became more curt. Of course their knowledge would not be given freely to some random visitor who asked for it. His moot had been having troubles in the Grey Forest recently with the Ironmonger moot. Before the moots all agreed to share resources for those who needed them, but it seemed the Ironmongers were staking claim to the forest and attacking the gathering expeditions the Swiftwind sent recently. Drana seemed to be protesting to this, but was quickly silenced by the chieftain each time. He asked that we investigate the matter and try to resolve any issue. I believe he hoped to avoid coming into open conflict with the Ironmongers and risking a war. We agreed to look into the matter and Chieftain Swiftwind arranged for our transport before excusing himself. I hoped to find out more about what Drana knew, but was wary of discussing the matter with Baral around. LaShana and Karl were able to distract him so I could talk with Drana more privately. She let me know that the trolls who attacked the gathering expeditions did not fit the descriptions of Ironmongers. She also warned me that an expedition that only had one survivor told tales of the forest itself attacking them. Talking with members of the expeditions did not yield much more information. We decided to set out for the Grey Forest.

I am very grateful to have the party I did. Despite the incidents happening at least a month ago, our group was able to find the site of the attack and figure out some information about what happened. We could definitely tell there were some strakkonya involved which was strange since they mostly only attack horrors and horror constructs. After some time looking around we were set upon by the trolls and strakkonya. All the trolls would say to us is "Leave forest." I tried to reason with them but they attacked. I did my best to subdue them non-lethally. After some time, there was a call and they all stopped attacking at once. A woman in grey approached us. She looked me over and told me I was the one who would "fix the heart." From what I could gather, the forest had become corrupted and she wished for me to clear the forest of this corruption. She motioned towards some trees that seemed to actually part for us leaving a path. We followed it until we found a giant corrupted heart guarded by some treants. We destroyed the heart and treants which seemed to lessen the corruption. On our way out, the lady thanked us. I asked if it was okay for others to return to the forest now to which she replied yes. After relaying this story to Chieftain Swiftwind, he informed me that I had met the Grey Lady. The best I can understand is that she is the spirit or essence of the forest and protects it. Their stories even tell that she was the one to teach the Swiftwinds how to make air ships. He was grateful for our help in this matter and offered me the knowledge that I came for. *page after page of designs, concepts, and methodologies follow*

Separate letter to Throal:
I am sending this report back that I have made contact with the Swiftwind moot and may be able to procure an alliance between them and Throal. Also, I shall be staying at the Swiftwind moot for an undetermined amount of time. If the Scourge should reappear or any other trouble requiring my aid, please send word here.