AAR: Paper Chase [7H] (18FEB21 @ 2359 GMT) UPDATED TIME

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Shokunin
AAR: Paper Chase [7H] (18FEB21 @ 2359 GMT) UPDATED TIME

Post by Shokunin » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:37 am

LFG: Paper Chase
Time: 18FEB21 @ 2359 GMT (1900 or 7pm EST) UPDATED TIME
GM: Shokunin
Circle: 7H
Rumor: Juniper has a book. A very special book. A very special book filled with secrets of the slave trade going on in Throal and across Barsaive, as directed by questor(s) of the mad passion Dis. There is a storm brewing, and the game is afoot. Help Juniper track down the truth and earn your place in the greatest underground publication in all of Barsaive.

5 players
Last edited by Shokunin on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Xzandrate

Re: LFG: Paper Chase [7H] (13Feb21 @ 2000 GMT)

Post by Xzandrate » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:13 am

Name: Lazulin
Date of Last Game Played: 2021-01-29
ECR: 7
Discipline: Raider (7)/SunHerald(6)
Unique: Combat and combat related accessories, and the guiding light of the sun.
Downtime: Research 3(9)

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Name: Juniper
ECL: 7
Discipline: Shadow of Freedom
Quote/Unique: "Power to the people!"
Notable Abilities: Streetwise, Looks good naked, people person
Downtime: Drugs, poetry slams, volunteering, romantic entanglements

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:46 pm

Name: Bloodbeat II of Syrtis
ECR: 8
Last game played: Feb. 11, 2021
Discipline: Nethermancer 7 / Weaponsmith 5
Quote: Tsch!  I hate birds!!
Unique/Notable Abilities: Experience Death, Friendly Darkness, Frighten, Last Chance, Soul Armor, Spirit Talk, Summon Ally Spirits, Viewpoint, Foul Vapors, Lifesight, Recovery, Orbiting Spy
Downtime:
* Alchemy 11 (rank 4)
* Forge Armor 15 (rank 4, step 11 + karma)
* Forge Weapon 16 (rank 4, step 12 + karma)
* Item History 15 (rank 4, step 11 + karma)

predajey

Re: LFG: Paper Chase [7H] (18FEB21 @ 2359 GMT) UPDATED TIME

Post by predajey » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:28 am

Name: Vralino Hammer-Shield
Date of Last Game Played: Feb 5
ECR: 8
Discipline:
  • Spear Master (Circle 6)
  • Elementalist (Circle 5)
Unique: Spears, Spells, Speaking, and Surgery...somewhat. I also navigate and alchemate... in moderate.
Downtime:
Item History (Rank 6 ESR 17)
Alchemy (Skill Rank 1, ESR 8)
  • Booster Potions

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:20 am

Name: Elisen
ECR: 8 (159180lp)
Last played on: 2021-02-12
Discipline: Cavalryman 7 / Troubadour 5
Quote/Unique: Deliverance flies on silent wind
Notable Abilities: Inspiring Sparkly Zoak power!
Downtime: Animal training step 16 (rank 5; 12 + karma), Item History 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma), Research 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma)

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:43 pm

That looks like a party to me! Lazulin, Bloodbeat, Vralino, Elisen, let's make some slavers cry.

predajey

Post by predajey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:27 am

The following is a recollection from Vralino Hammer-Shield, an 18 year old Ork girl who grew up avoiding society. By this time, her father has been missing for a couple months. The text remains unaltered to maintain its authenticity (Certain terms and names written wrong to keep in character). It is written in Or'zet.

So I was taking a vacation from the Orphanage. It was just a quick visit to Throal. I was staying with Ginepro, and who would have thought that I would meet THE Juniper! That's right! The guy from the News from the Underground!!! He's shorter than I thought he'd be. Anyways, Juniper and Ginny got into an argument, and Ginny kicked Juniper out of her home. He grabbed me by the arm and took me with him! He said, "You can have your shit, but I'm taking the ork." I'm gonna die! I don't even care what we're doing. This is so exciting!

So... we ended up going after some slavers or something. Not what I was expecting, but at least it was something to do. He had picked up some info on a place to investigate somewhere in Barter Town, just outside of Throal. Everyone was sneaking up to the place, but the best I could was act nonchalant. I mean, blue hair does tend to stand out, right? Anyways, they investigated a dwelling. I did try to kick a rock, but it didn't move. I did notice that the roof was exceptionally well crafted despite the shoddy external appearance. I went outside, feeling kind of useless. There were people watching us. All hidden in the windows of the nearby homes. As I was noticing them, there was a loud crash. The rest of the group had exposed a hidden path leading into the mountain. Lazulin led the way. Eventually we got to a vertical shaft. I went down first, and I nearly stepped on a trap! It was by sheer luck that I was able to jump out of it in time. As the rest of the group came down after me, we saw a statue. It came to life as a couple cave crabs came out of the shadows. Juniper was pretty cool. He did an intense amount of damage, but I took on the statue. I even knocked it back into the alcove it came out of. The thing was so tall that only half of it fit in the room. It was funny how it was leaning sideways at the hip. During the fight it did knock me to the ground. Bloodbeat must have killed it. I scrambled on the floor to the nearest crab and grappled it, trying to pin it to the ground. I'm not sure where Juniper went, but his knives were still soaring through the air. Between him, Elisen, and Lazulin, we made short work of the crabs.

Deeper into the cave, we came across several people who were acting mindlessly. Juniper did some questor voodoo. Apparently they had been robbed of their willpower. We convinced them to follow us out of the cave and into freedom. At the entrance, someone was knocking on the cupboard hiding the entrance. Lazulin was able to track him, and Elisen was able to spot him and chase him down. When we caught up to Elisen, they were in a tavern singing songs. Juniper met with the man and accosted him for more information, discovering another location the man was supposed to go to. I didn't hear everything, but the guy was clueless that he'd been aiding slavers.

When we got to the next location, it was a wasted trip, as we returned to Barter Town to get the guy from the tavern to come with us. There were farmers, who spoke about the lord of the area. Once we retrieved the guy from the tavern, he did some secret knock on the estate doors. As soon as the door opened, Juniper kicked it in, throwing the doorman back. We found a T'Skrang and several of his henchmen. Lazulin immediately killed one of the henchmen, while Juniper, Elisen, and I taunted and shouted at everyone. I did weave some threads for spellcasting, but it was kind of pointless, as the T'Skrang bolted and the henchmen surrendered. There were a couple in the back burning some papers. They seemed important to Juniper. I'm not completely aware of what all went down or how important it was, but I hope I made a good impression on Juniper! Maybe Solanus Pyrocantha will add me to his next story!

Shokunin

Re: AAR: Paper Chase [7H] (18FEB21 @ 2359 GMT) UPDATED TIME

Post by Shokunin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Paper Chase
GM: Vlolkir
Circle: 7
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
Juniper 20,000 LP, 1163 SP, 5 TIPs
Lazulin 20,000 LP, 1163 SP, 5 TIPs
Elisen 20,000 LP, 1163 SP, 5 TIPs
Bloodbeat 20,000 LP, 1163 SP, 5 TIPs
Vralino 20,000 LP, 1163 SP, 5 TIPs

GM Reward: Vlolkir 39,000 LP, 1000 SP, 3 TIPs

Downtime Actions Available:
Research 3(9)
Alchemy 11 (rank 4)
* Forge Armor 15 (rank 4, step 11 + karma)
* Forge Weapon 16 (rank 4, step 12 + karma)
* Item History 15 (rank 4, step 11 + karma)
Item History (Rank 6 ESR 17)
Alchemy (Skill Rank 1, ESR 8)
Animal training step 16 (rank 5; 12 + karma), Item History 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma), Research 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma)

Xzandrate

Re: AAR: Paper Chase [7H] (18FEB21 @ 2359 GMT) UPDATED TIME

Post by Xzandrate » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 pm

***The intricately covered ice blue journal contains a single blue crystal on the centre, with the simple gold lettering below it 'Lazulin' ***

Page 16

Juniper had done a fair bit of research in decoding the journal we retrieved from the Soaring Espagra. The journal was encoded and wrapped in riddle and misdirection. However, he was rather determined and eventually extracted a location in the forming shanty town of Bartertown. Everything pointed to a slave ring, we both agreed this to be unacceptable. Juniper gathered a party consisting of myself, Elisens, Bloodbeat, and Vralino.

We tracked the location to a rundown shack which we discovered a hidden passage beneath. After defeating the guardian statue and cave crabs we freed the people. Juniper helped to free them from the influence of an adherent to Dis. As we ascended the shaft to exit the building, a strange series of knocks drew our attention. Juniper and Elisen quickly ran after a dwarf who appeared to have been doing the knocking. It turns out this was merely a hapless patsy, unaware that he had been transporting slaves. We gathered the information on where these slaves would be taken and dispatched the slaves we had saved to Throal proper to seek out the questors of Lochost and Garlen.

The muckers directions led us to the country estate of a Throalic noble. We cased the estate and awaited any further movement. As night began to fall we approached the door and performed the 'secret knock'. As the unwitting lackey cracked the door open we pushed our way in. Shouts of surprise and alarm leapt from the man. Half his co-conspirators reacted by rushing us, the other half working to burn the documents. Funny thing about followers of a mad passion of complex bureaucracies, they are very particular on documentation, all be it confusing encoded documentation.

We fought into the building quickly dispatching those at the door, opening the way for Juniper to go and save the evidence of the goings on here. We did not find the questor leader of this endeavor, but we found evidence that this noble, in addition to working with a slave trading questor, was funding and supplying a would be warlord. Based on the descriptions of this noble, it is my assumption that he moved to act against the Throalic royalty.

The usual suspects of this party performed as pack of predators stalking their prey, Vralino fit in quite nicely. It is good to see her have grown so much and moved forward after her loss. Knowing how each would percieve the situation allowed us to move swift as the wind, be closely formed as the wood. Then when needed we were still as the mountain and attacked like the fire .

***A great Iced Claw adorns the bottom of the page ***