AAR: [2M] The Long Walk 2021-02-05 23:59 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Monkey
Re: AAR: [2M] The Long Walk 2021-02-05 23:59 GMT

Post by Monkey » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:42 am

Bronom's AAR:

Simple job, nice and easy payday. Got a little tense there at the end, but seems Patrique has a way with words.

First thing they told us was we were going out to find a Kaer and see what exactly happened to them. They even offered transportation!

First thing we see is a dense forest as we get dropped off. I can't say I know my way around the woods, but everyone else seemed confident. Some of the woodsier adventurers took a look at where a stream was emanating from. To my dismay, it was a water spirit that felt like engulfing us in water. My best boots got wet. And my clothes too. Shows me for traipsing through the woods. It just isn't for me. Thankfully somebody managed to calm the thing down before someone actually got hurt.

Eventually, we stumbled upon the Kaer, in the middle of being looted. They didn't want us to step forward, probably thought we were bandits or something. I thought they were bandits too, but I let Patrique talk to them. They looted their stuff and let us go in after them for the records.

Seems everyone had died of something beforehand. No fresh corpses to prove they were bandits. Unfortunate what happened. But, at least the traps were cleared out before we went in.

Nice and simple payday. Just how I like it.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:13 am

Bonjour Patrique's Pals,

We went on a long walk today with new friends.

There was a muscley troll, a little windling, and a pair of, I am told they are called "furries". Most amazing.

The walk was uneventful, we found a wonderful new source of waters for the upcoming Patrique's Parfume (Order now). Encountered some rather interesting individuals on a shopping spree (Not a single item from Patrique though). The lady had some rather ruffian looking companions, they could do well with a dose of Caduceure Compound(now on sale)

Stay tuned for next issue when we find out how to make the best of your ointments and oils.

Patrique

predajey

Excerpts from Orfen's Journal Entry

Post by predajey » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:55 am

Crammed in a corner and covered in dust is a dense book detailing the travels of Orfen. Amidst the myriad of the Throalic handwriting are a few nuggets of completely irrelevant thoughts from her. It would take a researcher hours just to determine if there is any information worthy of note. The text remains unaltered to maintain its authenticity (Certain terms and names written wrong to keep in character). As you begin reading the entry, a nearby scholar looks at what you're reading, eyebrows raised, and simply says, "Good luck" as they resume reading. It takes about 6 hours to read the entire entry.

"... We're going to the Valley of Merica! Although everyone says it wrong. They call it Marrik Valley. I know all about the Valley of Merica. Vralino talks about it quite often. There was a group of windlings that needed rescue. She went everywhere in the valley to find them. The best way to get to the valley is to go to Sosanopa then east on the Serpent River and it'll be to the Northwest when you're traveling parallel to the Throalic Mountain Range. I was the best choice as our guide because I knew the best directions..."

"...Vralino got lost so many times so that is the best way to get through the valley. Our party disagreed with me so I followed them through the valley. We found a water spirit. Bronom and Patrique were inside its water tornado. I tried talking to it but it was too stupid to know Throalic. Kayapo made leaf boats and sang to it. Scribbles jumped into it. She was playing with the spirit. The spirit wasn't hostile but I still wanted to smack it around a little bit. Instead I dove underwater crawling just under the water tornado and got away by emerging on the other side of the river..."

"... There was a group of Adepts taking shiny stuff out of the Kaer. Patrique talked to them. The group of Adepts left the records we were after. We let them leave with the other stuff then went inside. They had disarmed the traps so it was safe inside. After we got the records Patrique wanted us to follow them. They had horses and a wagon, so naturally, we lost them. Or maybe they lost us? Someone was lost dammit. That's the only way to navigate the Valley of Merica!..."

Other bits were found amongst the ramblings that were quite entertaining, even though they weren't really relevant to the journey:

"...Vralino often talked about traveling with a troll named Thorkell. We had a troll with us but he was a Swordmaster. It's almost like fate! He's a Swordmaster like my mentor and he's a troll like Thorkell. Trolls should all be friendly right? I mean I've heard stories about troll raiders from the people I've bandaged up but I've never seen any in Trayckid. Besides Vralino's never come across any troll raiders and she's been everywhere. Why did I care about him being a troll Swordmaster again? Oh I know! He's going to be my best friend so I can have a troll best friend just like Vralino!..."

"...Vralino would go on and on about the things she killed in the Valley of Merica. There were gnashers with many sets of teeth, dire wolves, astral beasts. I bet I can get something to come home with me. If I don't come out of this with a new animal companion I'm going hide all of her toilet paper and swap where we keep the diapers and the gauze. Then I'll swap the Anesthetic with the Apple Juice! Wait, maybe not do that. That would mean certain treatments would hurt like hell. But I can swap the... healing... potions... Just know that Vralino will feel my mischievous wrath! No one lies to me!!!..."

"...We came across a river and I found this to be the perfect time to practice the high step. I remember Vralino talking about crossing the Galanga in the Servos Jungle. Stepping up high prevents you from tripping over things underwater. I demonstrated it perfectly but the only one who followed my lead was Scribbles. Kayapo didn't need to high step. He can fly. Maybe he'd high step when it's raining? Why don't windlings carry a shield overhead when it rains? It'll be a rain shield. That should keep their wings dry. I don't see many windlings in Trayckid but Vralino says they're all afraid of water except for one or two that she's met..."

"...Why are only the women and children getting wet!?! The men are all outside the water tornado! AND THEY ARE ALL ADULTS TOO!!! Chivalry is dead. [drawing of a skull]..."

"...Stupid water spirit was breaking all the rules. It should know Throalic so we can talk to it..."

"...Patrique had the idea to offer to sell them something. I figured we'd be able to get closer if we pretended to be buying something instead. They may not want to buy anything but offering to buy things they probably want to sell for a few gold, silver, or copper coins would probably pique their interest and allow us to get closer. It'd be the ideal method to rob a Kaer! Steal the stuff then sell it to some random people as you're leaving! You wouldn't even need the horse or the carriage! I wonder if anyone else has ever thought of that idea?..."
Last edited by predajey on Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serespar

Post by Serespar » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:04 pm

The Long Walk
If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.

From Kayapo's Musings...

Saman Ziv has told me of the three great spiritual paths. The first, that some people experience the larger world of the Great Spirit through prayer, ritual and meditation; usually through a cultural focus such as the worship of the passions in Barsaive. The second, that some people explore the world of the mind and thought, and learn to see the fingerprints of the Great Spirit through science and art. The third, the path of the Shaman, is to go out and experience the world; open, accepting, and to test each moment for the weight of reality it might contain. A moment of idle chatter might not be “real”, though the love and connection the chatter is on the surface of may be. The moment when a woman gently touches the face of her child carries weight, as does the moment when we choose to embrace anger, hatred, fear, gentleness, love… The shaman is open to the world of life and the world of spirit, and EXPERIENCES reality.

So, to experience.

I flitted on the breezes in Throal and saw several animal spirits congregating around a pair of elven beastmasters Named Skribilz and Orfen. The spirits told me that the two had good hearts but were going into the shadow of danger. They were accompanied by a quiet troll Swordmaster Named Bronom and a very strange human troubadour Named Patrique.

The human seemed to have a need to be the center of attention and was involved in some sort of strange competitive ritual with Orfen, as the two of them talked louder and louder, venting strong opinions about things they seemed to know little about. I do not judge, but I did wonder what was going on within the silence of their spirits, that they needed to work so hard to drown it out.

Evidently, the administrators of Throal had concerns about a place called the Valley of Marrek to the east. Records showed that a number of kaers in the area did not make it through the Scourge and had been looted. Our employer wished us to go to a kaer not yet heard from, Named Owresa, and determine its fate. They provided Patrique with a map <to hex 48.06> and a charm that could be used to contact people inside the wards if they were still sealed within. They also provided tickets for passage on a riverboat to take us to the valley. We were to meet the boat in the River Town of Sosanopa.

And so we set out.

We walked the road from Throal to the Sosanopa to meet the boat. Orfen and Patrique continued their game, while I found the companionship of Skribilz and Bronom restful.

We did not spend much time in Sosanopa, just passed through to the docks. The river boat was a marvel and the t’skrang moved like dancers on the voyage. I think I shall never tire of the beauty of the river and the feel of the breeze as I watched from up in the rigging.

After debarking on the far side of the Throal mountains, we walked within the deep forest I love so well. The wilderness speaks to my spirit so profoundly. The veil between the worlds is thin when light shafts through the forest canopy and glints off the clear waters of a stream.

While in the forest depths, we ran across a Great Tree nestled in a node of spirit and of life magic. At the roots of the Great Tree water bubbled to the surface in a joyful spring. Bird and squirrel spirits added their song and playful dance to its branches. I paused to meditate for a moment while my companions darted into the water to splash like children.

The Tree Spirit’s child, Water-Bubbling-Up-Around-Roots, was playful, but also powerful and dangerous in the way of Nature; Nature always demands respectful caution or there are consequences. As I spotted the spirit, he began to “play” with my companions, taking the form of a waterspout. They began to choke on the spraying water, unable to leave the spring. I quickly made distracting toy boats with offerings and placed them in the water, singing to the spirit that we honored him and that here were gifts for him to enjoy. Patrique joined me and we were successful in luring the spirit away from our companions, so that they might leave the water safely. I made a final offering to the Great Tree and Water Bubbling, bowed, and we left the spirits to their grotto.

We traveled for several days and located the site of Kaer Owresa. As we arrived, we saw a group looting the broken kaer. There was a beautiful human woman leading the looters, as well as a scout and several warriors. We noticed that she had a diamond symbol with a castle and the letter “M” on it; some sort of emblem (see sketch below).

Patrique and the woman exchanged words, and it was clear the woman was taking everything of value she could find and loading it onto a wagon.
Patrique arranged for us to peacefully enter the kaer when they were done, to gather records that might be of interest to Throal.

It appears that the unfortunate inhabitants passed away long ago, and that the adepts had done significant work to clear the kaer of remaining traps and dangers. We gathered the records and brought them back to Throal. We also noted that the direction the woman and her wagon went was from <border of hex 49.07 and hex 50.08, headed toward the mountains in hex 63.09>

Sketch of emblem