AAR - [3H] The Rabbits of kaermalot 2021-02-07@ 19:00 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Serespar
Re: LFG - [3H] The Rabbits of kaermalot 2021-02-07@ 19:00 GMT

Post by Serespar » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:19 pm

Name: Kayapo
Date of Last Game Played [ Scenario ]: [ February 5, 2021 The Long Walk ]
Circle: ECR 2, Circle 2
Discipline: Windling Shaman ( Novice Rank )
Unique: "Mystic windling shamanic healer from the Liaj jungle"
Party Buffs:
Chain Cast Prey Senses (+3 to Awareness and Danger Sense, 4 companions, 3 slots)
Recipients select a Spirit Animal who blends with their features as they receive the bonus
Healing:
Physician Rank 3 (Step 10 vs TN 5 for 8.3 SP/1 refill, +3 to Recovery Test, takes a half hour)
Hero's Feast (+6 to a post battle Recovery test, takes an hour [grimoire cast])
Downtime: Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime;
None

Secondary character
Last edited by Serespar on Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:53 pm

Name: Truck
Date Player last played: Event
ECR: 4
Discipline: Warrior 4th circle - Windling.
Quote/Unique:  
Notable Abilities: Slice and Dice
Downtime: None.

kaetaur

Post by kaetaur » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:33 am

Team update
The group will be:

Vallone
Arphen
Warak Nendul
Nergae Hilldigger
Qwillem
Taras Vanko

Backup: Truck, Kayapo

rosinavs

Post by rosinavs » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:27 am

[Letter from 3rd Circle Beastmaster Dwarf Nergae Hilldigger to her adopted father Troll restauranteur Malak Wonjin, translated from the original Tollish]

Hi Dad,

I was hired to assist in investigating the presence of strange animals appearing in areas near the Servos Jungle on my last trip out of Throal. I have started living in the shantytown growing up outside of Throal, where I can pretty much just throw up my own building and live in it rent free. Anymore inside the mountain rents anywhere near the Great Gates are starting to climb like crazy unless a gang owns the territory, and then you have to pay the gang for protection. Besides, I now have two new furbabies that I picked up on this trip and they need space to romp. I have fenced off a fair bit of ground in the trees far enough that anyone trying to muscle folks living in the shantytown for protection money doesn't try to come by.

So, Taras, remember him? Grumpy guy? He was on this trip, and so was Arphen that I fought in the River City with last month, and also Qwillem that went on that cold weather trip. We also had Kayapo, a Shaman, and Vallone, a windling Shadow. Shamans are good with animals but a little weird to work with, because they use animal spirits. Wiz didn't really like it, but Dumpling didn't seem to notice.

Anyway we headed out to where we heard the bunnies were, and as we were about to cross a bridge over a stream, we came upon a pack of big cats of a type that I nor anyone else in the party had never seen before. There were two adults and a bunch of cubs. I drove one adult off with half the cubs, and Taras knocked the other one out. I managed to entice one of the cubs to come with me, and we left the rest with the adult, who we fixed up enough that it should be fine when it wakes up.

Then we encountered a pack of wolves that were killing a pack of smaller wolflike things that eat insects rather than meat. We skirted around them, figuring that nature would take its course and kill off the wolflike things that should not be in this area. We tracked their backtrail to see where they came from for days, all the way to the Serpent River. There we asked some folks about them in a nearby villiage, because the number of tracks we were following had grown so huge it was easy to follow in spite of being a days old trail (those are harder, remember?) Pretty much everyone had seen the huge group of strange animals crossing the Serpent River (a lot of them died, mostly young, but some of the adults too I guess). They described a guy who looked like Taras with some sort of animal with him that was following the giant herd? pack? dunno what to call it. But that's how the animals were getting to the Servos area. We decided not to keep following this trail, since it would take us days to get back to the area and search for the weird poisonous bunnies that we had been asked to investigate.

So we headed back, found the spot where the wolfpack attacked the not wolf pack, and found that one of the baby not-wolves was still alive but pretty sick. I rescued it and fed it up, and now I'm raising a baby new-big-cat and a baby not-wolf, those are the furbabies I mentioned earlier.

Finally we found the poison bunnies. We killed a bunch. I did get bit and poisoned, but I managed to tough it out and it only kinda hurt in a weird way for like half an hour or something. I was barely hurt at all on the whole trip, just some scratches. So you don't need to be a worry wart. I do have antidotes and poultices on me as well as booster and healing potions, and that Physician's Kit I promised you I would buy. I would probably actually know how to use it better except I had to take that year off. Sorry, I promised myself I wouldn't mention it. Anyway, I have a great place all to myself, nice and private, and I go into the shantytown where there's a nice bar called the Thirsty Tiger Tavern run by that nice Ms. Dram and her kid Fredi from a couple of blocks over when we still lived in Throal, remember them? I know, you think her stew isn't very good, but she does bake that fabulous bread and brew a mean ale. You can send letters to me there and she'll get them to me.

Love,

Nergae

Lashana

Post by Lashana » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:48 pm

The Rabbits of Kaermalot
Time: 2021-02-07@19:00 GMT
GM: Shannanigans
Circle: 3
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
Taras: 2000 LP, 413 SP, 5Tips
Arphen: 2000 LP, 413 SP, 5Tips
Nergae: 2000 LP, 413 SP, 5Tips
Kayapo: 2000 LP, 413 SP, 5Tips
Vallone: 2000 LP, 413 SP, 5Tips
Qwillem: 2000 LP, 413 SP, 5Tips

Alternate Rewards: availability of Half Price Healing Aids
Journal Rewards: 100 LP, 104 SP

GM Reward: Sobelle: 800 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs

Downtime Actions Available:
Arphen: Craft Weapon
Nergae: Animal Training Rank 3 (Step 9+1 karma)
Qwillem: Craftsman Rank 3 (Step 18+1karma); Forge Weapon 4 (Step 16+1 karma); Item History Rank 3 (Step 14+1 karma)

Serespar

Re: AAR - [3H] The Rabbits of kaermalot 2021-02-07@ 19:00 GMT

Post by Serespar » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:05 am

The Rabbits of Kaermalot (3H)
Even if you are on the right track, you will get run over if you just sit there.

From Kayapo’s Musings…

I was contemplating one of Saman Ziv’s lessons on time, place and balance. The role of the shaman is to be in the right place at the right time, sense the moment, and use their free will and their gifts to provide a channel for the magic of life to flow, restore balance, and express natural harmony. While our individualized existence is too small to comprehend the true big picture, we can understand and embrace the experience of the moment and allow what is “real” to be reinforced by our accepting observation in that moment.

So, deep breaths, open to the moment…

Several adepts of my acquaintance were hired to investigate reports of some unusual animal activity and invited me to come along. I sensed something out of balance so agreed to accompany them. The party included Nergae the dwarven Beastmaster, Arphen the elven Scout, Taras the human Scout, Qwilliam the dwarven Weaponsmith, Vallone the windling Shadow and myself.

I so enjoy traveling and being gently supported by the land as we go, every true need supplied with abundance. I also enjoyed just being with the different animal spirits that join me and my companions as I open myself to the magic and allow it to flow through me. Barsaive is so beautiful.

We traveled to the area and discovered a pair of females of a type of great feline I had not seen before. Both had a large number of young. The felines appeared to be out of place but were adapting like the clever predators they are. I couldn’t help but wonder how they had been displaced and why they sought to make new homes in this forest ecosystem; their coats were more suited to mountain winds than a low lying forest, their paws to not breaking through snow drifts instead of climbing the rough bark of the trees, and many other odd notes. They were strong predators in their own right, and I wondered how many generations of adaptation would bring them into harmony with their new surroundings.

My companions brought up concerns about “invasive species” but I just smiled quietly and said “Nature finds her balance”. I have heard this idea brought up before and always think how hard some people must work to resist change, to try to force things to stay the same. Nature… ..adapts. If these felines adapt at the proper pace, they will thrive. If they don’t, they will pass into the forest’s memory and that is as it should be. Yes, prey and living things further down the food chain will need to adapt and balance too, and some will do so better than others. If things swing too far prey will disappear as will the predators in turn. It all comes back to balance in time. We shooed away the great cats and their younglings, and I wished them well on the difficult journey of adaptation they faced ahead.

We next ran across another out of place type of creature, the remains of a great migrating herd of a mammal that preys upon insects. The insect eaters were being ground into near extinction by a pack of wolves drawn to the easy prey. On the one hand, it was a terrible slaughter of life, on the other, it was a time of great bounty for the wolves. Nature wastes nothing. Again, why were these creatures so poorly adapted to the local ecosystem migrating? It seems unnatural and I listened to the earth mother to see if she would share any KNOWING of disasters that might have driven so many to seek new homes.

We followed the tracks of the migration south for many days, and the extent of the tragedy became more and more apparent; the insect eater migration was larger than many of the Great Migrations, and all of a single species. Where in the world had they all come from, and why? The small insects that are the base of so much LIFE had been decimated by their passage, short lived as it might have been, and the apex predators were all well fed. I could not help but wonder what the re-balance would be like to experience for the animals at all levels of the ecosystem based on this huge, unusual event.

We traced the tracks to the Serpent River ten days to the south and learned from the t’skrang of Emerald Falls that many, many more of the creatures died trying to cross the Serpent River. It is most unnatural, and it appears that a scruffy human adept of some sort accompanied by a large feline may be involved. Hmmm.

Returning to focus, we traveled north to the last known location of the poison rabbits, a type of Preces. Again, distorted natural forces seemed to be in play since the creatures were extremely aggressive even though it was not mating season. Very odd. My companions and I reluctantly cleared the pack that attacked us. In the aftermath, I communed with the animal spirits and received no specific clues, just a feeling of distortion as their seasonal drives were drawn out of cycle. Most disturbing.

We traveled back to Throal, our stated mission accomplished but with more questions; what was causing the migrations and disturbances we had encountered?

kaetaur

Post by kaetaur » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:42 pm

Venomous Bunnies are no fun. A journal Entry by Arphen Elven Scout

A group of us well suited to the task set out to investigate invasive species entering the Throalic Mountains. I will keep this brief with the exception of the part with the large trail of thousands of Aard Wolves.

We set upon the road to Coalton where I first saw the poison bunnies knows a Preces. We discovered a side road and at a foot bridge crossing a river we noticed that something across the river was moving and we were unable to see it clearly. After crossing the bridge we found two families of cougars. We did not kill them and instead put up a sign warning people of cougars near the road. I would expect these creatures to die come winter in the mountains.

A day or so later we came upon a pack of wolves killing a pack of Aard Wolves that looked starved and near death. We avoided this confrontation and follow the Aard Wolf trail all the way to the Serpent River where we discovered that thousands of them migrated in what seemed like a course leaving the bad lands. There was a Human with a long legged and tall cat that was following them. I hope to investigate this further.

After travelling back to the mountains of Throal we did find a large group of Preces that were living together and quickly exterminated them. While the cougars are dangerous venomous bunnies are a larger hazard as namegiver or not would be surprised at how deadly they are.

Too many creatures are moving around and relocating which seems like there is a larger problem at hand.

verse86

Post by verse86 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:56 pm

Vallone's Journal:

I received a job to investigate weird animals showing up near the Servos. Especially of interest were some poisonous rabbits similar to preces that had been causing trouble. We had Taras, Nergae, Arphen, Kayapo, and Qwillem along. Many of these adepts were new to me, but seemed capable. With our group and gear ready, we set out.

Our first sign of strange animals happened as we crossed a bridge. Some large tannish-colored cats attacked us. I'd never seen one quite like it. From what we gathered these were cougars which were not a native species. The cougars seemed to be protecting their cubs. We scared the mothers off so as not to kill them. I believe a few members took the cubs as pets.

Our next encounter was with some strange creatures being attacked by a pack of wolves. We didn't think it was our place to intervene and let nature take its course. We were able to figure out these things were called aardwolves which were definitely not from around here. We started following the creature's tracks back from the direction they came, but eventually had to give up pursuit. Along the way we came across a town where we asked about the weird creatures. We were told a scruffy looking man with some animal companion seemed to be herding the aardwolves. I'm including a drawing we got from the townspeople of what he looked like. No it is not just a picture of Taras.

We decided to retrace our steps and returned to where we last saw the aardwolves. We found one baby still alive huddled away in a cave. I believe Nergae took to caring for it.

We continued our journey and finally found the poison rabbits. They attacked us which Kayapo said was odd since it wasn't mating season. We dealt with the rabbits so they should no longer be an issue. Still, there is definitely something weird going on. I'd suggest you look further into who this scruffy herder is.