AAR: [3M] I like big buds, and I cannot lie. 2020-11-28 7pm EST

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Lashana
AAR: [3M] I like big buds, and I cannot lie. 2020-11-28 7pm EST

Post by Lashana » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:26 pm

[3M] Name: I like big buds, and I cannot lie
GM: Shannanigans
ECR: 3M
Requested By: Orlam (Sharkforce)

A new botanical garden and Conservatory is being sponsored by a newly wealthy patron of Throal. She has requested that it features plants from throughout Barsaive. Newly hired head gardener, Gudrun Seivermorgen, has requested volunteers to seek out exotic plant life for the gardens. She has promised assistance for travel and resources for research.

Reward - ½ price healing supplies or potions as Gudrun has a healthy supply of botanical agents for mixings such potions up and her patron has...connections.
Last edited by Lashana on Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

bronzemountain

Re: LFG: [3M] I like big buds, and I cannot lie.

Post by bronzemountain » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:35 pm

Name: Taras Vanko
ECL: 4
Discipline: Scout
Quote/Unique: The only Human Scout who isn't a Horror.
Notable Abilities: Not getting lost.
Downtime: Mourning a lost homeland while drinking vodka.
Last Game Played: Right now.

Rathan01

Post by Rathan01 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:35 pm

Name: Barag Yurdum
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-11-27
Circle: ECR 4
Discipline: Elementalist 4
Unique:
  • Heat food
  • Purify water
  • Shelter
Downtime: Item History Rank 2 (12)

Here to fill out the group if needed since I played yesterday.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Name: Orlam
Date of Last Game Played: It's my rumour
Circle: 3
Discipline: Elementalist
Unique: healing boosts, comfort, and I actually have navigation as a skill.
Downtime:
Last edited by Sharkforce on Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:53 pm

Name: R'edtarian
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-11-21
Circle: 3
Discipline: Warrior
Unique: Stay down
Downtime: Research Rank 3 Step 9 (step 12 with library access)

verse86

Re: LFG: [3M] I like big buds, and I cannot lie. 11/28/2020 7pm EST

Post by verse86 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:56 pm

Name: Vallone
Date of Last Game Played: 11/27/2020 The Road Back
ECR: 4
Discipline: Shadow 4
Unique: A dodgy little windling who throws shadow spears. Hates crows.
Downtime: N/A
Am willing to fill the fifth slot if no one else is going.

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:03 am

Orlam Rolfsom, Journal Entry # 6: I Like Big Buds and I Cannot Lie

I received a summons from the recently-appointed head gardener for a new botanical garden project in Throal, one Gudrun Seivermorgen. She was extremely busy with the construction portion of the project as well as ensuring the continued growth of the plants she had already collected. It was being sponsored by some up-and-coming person (I don't recall the name... but I suppose it will be quite obvious once the gardens are finished, since I imagine they'll be named appropriately to remind everyone who funded them).

The letter she sent indicated she had need of someone with my skills and asked that I put together a team, although she wasn't terribly specific on the job at the time. Still, I put word out to a few folks to be on standby and went to see what she was looking for. It seems that some of the exotic plants she wanted were in exceptionally dangerous regions of Barsaive and so she had been authorized to hire a team of Adepts and even procured an airship for the expedition as it was apparently quite urgent. That was probably for the best, since the plants she needed were quite spread out and might not have survived the journey being hauled through the Servos Jungle, or over the Throalic mountains, or even across the plains, in a pot, being constantly moved around.

In any event, I had my team on hand and quickly gathered them; Taras was an obvious choice, who else but a Scout to guide a team through the wilderness and find something? We were going into particularly dangerous parts of the world, so R'edtarian seemed like an excellent choice as well. Taras recommended a Windling Shadow Named Vallone, and another Elementalist, a Dwarf Named Barag Yurdrum (who I notice is slightly further advanced in the Discipline than I, but I imagine I got the lead on this one since I am after all a botanist).

There were 3 flowers in particular that Gudrun was looking for, and the first (an interesting specimen known as a water wheel that has several mouths around it for eating small creatures) was found in the Servos Jungle near the Galanga River. Captain Chuggy, who was in charge of the airship, brought us over the River and we lowered ourselves down by ropes (except of course for Vallone; being a Windling she just flew). Taras then brought us to a clearing where he spotted what might be our flower. Also, spiders. Huge ones. I mean, he didn't spot the spiders (Vallone did), but they were there. They spat an almost acidic substance at us, and had poisonous bites, and thankfully most of them were dead by the time we were done. Still, one of them is still out there, and it just gives me the creeps to think of it. I managed to avoid being bitten, but Vallone got paralyzed for quite a while. We dug up around them, got them into their pots, and signalled for our airship to lower some ropes again.

The second flower was to be found somewhere near the head of the Serpent River, "past Clear Creek Crossing". Well, that wasn't terribly specific, and Taras was having a hard time finding the potential location (they grow in areas that are damp and wet), but thankfully my Elementalist senses led us to a cave. In that cave was the flower we were looking for, as well as a bunch of small, very fast spiny creatures. They were apparently also poisonous, and Taras collected some of their spines and sacks which are valuable to alchemists. Personally, I've never worked with them before though... must be for a formula I'm not familiar with. This plant requires a second plant in order to survive, a fair-sized bush which they would grow in the roots of, which we were able to collect as well. We also spotted an interesting plant known as a phoenix flower, a climbing vine famous for being able to almost instantly revive after droughts when it gets water. They were quite beautiful, and I thought Gudrun might be interested, so we gathered a few sticks for them to climb on and added them to our growing collection (pun intended).

Our final destination was in the far side of the Caucavic Valley. Again, grateful to have an airship, we boarded and again set sail for our destination. Around about where the Caucavic River Splits, the region we were supposed to be looking for the Queen of the Night, we spotted a couple of large, frog-like creatures. Nobody was too certain of what they might be, but we figured they probably jump, have long and sticky tongues, and can swim. We got out of the airship a good distance away so they couldn't catch us while we were climbing down. Apparently we missed a few, because there were actually five of them. Fortunately, our efforts didn't go to waste; we had figured we'd need to deal with them to search the region, but the flowers we were looking for were growing nearby. Only one of them was growing in a dark crevice in the rocks nearby, but when we waited for midnight the area surrounding it blossomed with over a dozen of them! We gathered a few from softer parts of the ground, potted them, and again signalled for our airship once it was light.

On our return, Gudrun was quite pleased to see us return with all the flowers she needed, and Captain Chuggy was happy to see Taras gone (something about Taras not trusting his ship's safety, and he grumbled a lot about Taras getting his name wrong too. Well, there's a reason I brought him to the wilderness, but wouldn't bring him to a high society dinner party, and it isn't just that I'm not invited either). She accepted our extra find of the phoenix flowers as well, and I am pleased to have done so much to beautify Throal. Also, as promised, we were well-payed for our services.

During our trip, Barag and I had enjoyed some discussions on the Discipline we share, and I was surprised to find that I even had a spell he was interested in; Air Mattress! I was more than pleased to share, his assistance was most valuable. Now then, I have to go find Keel and have a word with her about the Battle Shout. I think she must have forgotten something, because I did a lot of shouting and none of the things we fought looked the least bit impressed.

Lashana

Re: AAR: [3M] I like big buds, and I cannot lie. 11/28/2020 7pm EST

Post by Lashana » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:55 am

AAR: I Like Big Buds and I Cannot Lie
GM: LaShana
ECR: 3
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Taras: 1,400 LP, 275 SP, 3 TIPs
Vallone: 1,400 LP, 100 SP, 3 TIPs - 1 Booster potion & 1 Healing Potion
Journal: 70 LP, 68.8 SP
Orlam: 1,400 LP, 200 SP, 3 TIPs - Physician's Kit (50 sp/2) Physician's Kit Refills (6 charges) (50 sp/2)
Barag: 1,400 LP, 75 SP, 3 TIPs - 1 Healing Potion, 2 Physician's kit refills (learned air mattress from Orlam)
R'edtarian: 1,400 LP, 225 SP, 3 TIPs - Physician's Kit refills (6 refills), (50 sp/2), Booster potions (50 sp/2)
Journal: 70 LP, 68.8 SP

GM Reward: LaShana: 19,000 LP, 900 SP, 3 TIPs

Downtime:
Orlam: Research Rank 3 Step 9 (step 12 with library access)
Barag: Item History Rank 2 (12)

Summary:
The party was able to gather all of the requested flowers - After venturing into the Servos they gathered the Aldrovanda Vesiculosa (otherwise known as the waterwheel) which was guarded by 4 giant weaver spiders. Next up on the Botanical tour of Barsaive was a cave at the mouth of the Coil river where the party encoutered rather sluggish stingers to get to the Rhizanthella Gardneri - the underground orchid and the broombush it requires to thrive. They also located a beautiful flower called the pheonix flower growing up the side of the caves that they gathered a few vines of to take back to Gudrun Seivermorgen, the head Gardener for the new conservatory being built. Their last stop landed them between the Throal and the Caucavic mountains and along the Caucavic River to gather 'The Queen of the Night'. But before they could gather it they were set upon by some unhappy Jub Jubs. The party made quick work of them and then gathered the Kadupal Flower before heading back on the airship The Glorious Payoff - led by Chuggy.

verse86

Post by verse86 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:01 pm

Vallone's Journal:
I had barely made it back to Throal from my last job when another job came up. I figured it would save the cost of traveling to Throal again. I've sent along money to Lake Ban for Sarell's care since I'll now be gone longer than expected. This flower lady named Gudrun Seivermorgen wanted us to get some more special flowers for his garden. Most of them were around the Servos Jungle.

We found the first flower which apparently can eat small creatures. As we got closer I noticed some giant spiders. They started spitting stuff at me. It hurt a lot. I ended up getting paralyzed because of those creepy legged things.

The second flower was in a cave. There were these really fast rat things with spikes that charged at us. We dealt with them fairly easily. Fortunately they couldn't shoot those spikes so I was okay while flying. Apparently this flower only can survive with another plant so we had to grab both. We also found some pretty vine that we thought Gudrun might like so we grabbed it.

The third flower was near a river. There were a bunch of frogs around the flowers. We had to fight them off. I tried my best to protect the magic people because they can't dodge like I can. We found one of the flowers, but we were told these flowers mostly bloom at night. We waited until night and suddenly more of the flowers sprouted out. We grabbed as many as we could.

We brought the flowers back and Gudrun was very happy. Now I really need to get back to Sarell.