AAR: Oberon's Will (8M) 2020-11-22 @23:59 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Jexel
AAR: Oberon's Will (8M) 2020-11-22 @23:59 GMT

Post by Jexel » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:21 pm

LFG: [8M] Oberon's Will
Organized by: A'horangi
Difficulty: 8M, 4 or 5 players.
Time: 2020-11-22 @ 23:59 GMT (Sunday 7pm est)

A nest of corruption is known to be high in the mountains of Throal. A'horangi and a small band of adventurers will find out if the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
Last edited by Jexel on Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronzemountain

Re: LFG: Oberon's Will (8M) 2020-11-22 @23:59 GMT

Post by bronzemountain » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Name: A'horangi Ha'hana Syrtis
ECL: 8
Discipline: Monk
Quote/Unique: "Respectfully, I must now punch you."
Notable Abilities: Very polite dinosaur. Fully Item History/Research a Journeyman TI in one week.
Downtime: Research 1/22 (+3 for 20sp), Item History 3/24
Last Game Played: My rumor.

Lashana

Post by Lashana » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:17 pm

Name: LaShana
Last played on: 2020-11-11
ECR: 8 (219715)
Discipline: Thief 8
Quote/Unique: Well that was....interesting/fun/unique!! Can we do it again?
Notable Abilities: Enthusiasm and an ability to fumble/stumble into trouble. Can also open...and close....doors - possibly even if they are locked....and a wicked bow
Downtime: none

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:36 pm

Name: Norg
ECR: 9 (445095lp)
Discipline: Gauntlet 9 / Air Sailor 5
Quote/Unique: The punch is not the goal, the punch is the way
Notable Abilities: PUNCH! JUMP! some awareness, some navigation, some wilderness survival, the worst physician this side of the mountains
Downtime: none

or

Name: Elisen
ECR: 7 (96180lp)
Discipline: Cavalryman 6 / Troubadour 5
Quote/Unique: Deliverance flies on silent wind
Notable Abilities: Inspiring Sparkly Zoak power! (and a last chance salve)
Downtime: Animal training step 16 (rank 5; 12 + karma), Item History 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma), Research 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma)

Either way
Last played on: 2020-11-20
Last edited by sigfriedmcwild on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:00 pm

Name: Moe'uhane
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-11-13
ECR: 9
Discipline: Illusionist(9)/Messenger (6)/Boatman(5)
Unique: Enhanced matrix, buffs, some socials, Pretend fireballs
Downtime: Research - step 11
Craft Spell Matrix Objects:(8/20) Standard - 6 days -1000 SP; Enhanced 7 days - 2000 SP

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:46 am

Name: Zivilyn
ECR: 9
Last Played: Nov 20
Discipline: Shaman/Wizard/Elementalist/Nethermancer 8/6/5/1
Notable Abilities: Spells, a little bit of everything at this point. Good with animals. Only *mostly* incompetent at social stuff.
Downtime: Downtime: Animal Training (Talent) - Step 19 including karma (Rank 9) (can train up to 9 commands total, or improve non-combat skills by +1 per command used on it)
Research - Step 24 including karma (Rank 5). +3 to the step is available at a cost of 20 sp for access to the Great Library of Throal.
Item History - Step 19 including karma (Rank 6)

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Name: Sandrin
Effective Circle Rating: 8 (180,170 LP)
Discipline: Air Sailor 7 / Troubadour 4 / Sun Herald 3
Unique: Melee, Social, Inspire Others, Thrown, and Navigation
Last Time Player Played: 11/6/2020

Downtime:
  • Craft Weapon at Step 7 (Rank 1) (Weapons up to Damage 2, 1 Day per Size)
  • Item History at Step 18 (Rank 4)
  • Research at Step 17 (Step 20 with Library)

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:06 am

From the Journal of Zivilyn, Windling Magician: Oberon's Will

I caught word recently that A'horangi, LaShana, and Sandrin were putting together an expedition into the Throalic mountains to investigate a possible nest of corruption that they had been obligated to leave uncleared previously. And by 'caught word' I mostly mean that she was on Skyreader Island on Elisen's trail, couldn't find them, and apparently came to collect me instead. Also joining our little group was Moe, who was the only one who hadn't been to this location previously. Apparently they had gone up into the mountains to lead a small army in defeating some nefarious force that was poisoning the mind of someone that Sandrin and another Adept named Lazulin had hoped to learn the path of the Sun Herald from, encountered a small horde of gnashers supported by some sort of crystalline horror that grows spikes from inside your body, and had to return since the army was borrowed and their objective had been accomplished.

Except, of course, for the fact that the place the horrors had been pouring out of had not been cleared. I'd complain more about leaving those sorts of things to fester, but regrettably I've had to retreat on a few occasions myself. Anyways, not wanting to leave an unknown horror-infested cave system alone, I agreed to join them and brought along Haze and Howler as usual. The journey there was fairly uneventful, which isn't too surprising as few things even in the mountains are looking to pick a fight with dire wolves or Windlings that smell like wyverns. Moe provided his usual carpet caravan, and now that Howler has learned to tolerate flying through magical means the trip was much easier than usual. That said, I did purchase some warm clothing to ease the burden of juggling yet another spell as we travelled. It's one thing to hand around a Weather Cloak for a quick excursion, but all day every day does weary the soul.

After a few days journey we arrived in a frozen valley with a small lake in the middle. At one edge of the valley was the opening into the cavern full of horrors, which was rather unassuming actually. I suppose I shouldn't complain about not having to wade through a horde of gnashers to get there, but I was curious to see what I might learn about them now that I've learned a little of Nethermancy. I suppose knowing my luck I'll have opportunities later though. The entrance had statues of what looked like two Namegivers on either side, with a Dragon-like wing almost like an awning above it providing shelter. Figuratively, that is; lack of walls meant that the area just outside the cave mouth was not protected from the wind at all.

We headed in, hiked for a good while illuminated by my Moonlight, and eventually the tunnel opened up into an area full of ruined buildings, some smashed, some that looked like they were being remodelled, and some that had collapsed as the timbers supporting the stone rotted away. In roughly the center was the most intact area, with a sort of curtain wall surrounding what we would later find was a well. Also in the area, 4 boneless masses of flesh oozing their way around making the most awful racket with their fearsome screaming. Haze was quite frightened of them, and as I didn't think his sonic shriek would do much to a pile of horror-corrupted undead meat I had him sit that fight out. It did give me a chance to try out my new enchanted knuckles which did a fair job of empowering the Unicorn Spirit I Invoked to charge them.

The area turned out to be the former central plaza of a small kaer, and I do mean small. Engraved on the walls were pictures telling a story (also some writing in Theran, which I still haven't learned to read. So little time, so much to do!). The people of the kaer had an urgent need for shelter, and were somewhat fortunate to find a Dragon Named Oberon willing to take them in (also willing to leave an obvious entrance to the kaer, apparently, as the Dragon wing and statues outside showed. Given that we had just fought four puddles of Namegiver flesh with no other obvious place for it to have come from, you may understand why I say they were only "somewhat" fortunate).

Then, they apparently went insane while trapped in a tiny cave in the mountains with poor defences, elected a new leader with a giant crown of bone who flayed them alive (and presumably turned them into animate undead goop) with their consent, and stopped engraving things on the walls, presumably because they were all dead as a result of the aforementioned activities.

We resolved to take care of burying or burning the flesh heaps later (I presume eventually rats and worms would eat them, but who knows what eating corrupted flesh might do to them) and looked around further. There was a hole in one side of the cave, higher up on the wall. There were no signs of stairs or ladders, so it stands to reason that area was for the Dragon. We took a quick peek, and LaShana reported back that there were some crystals that reminded her of the horror that grew crystals from within people. I suggested that this might be an opportune moment to prepare a War Party, did my best to protect us from mystic attacks (while also enhancing our own attacks), and we went in.

Now, at this point I should note that I had thought my Lifesense spell would do a better job of sensing potential threats. Obviously, I had not anticipated the possibility that everything in that hole was undead, however, and so we were not especially prepared for the several animate rotting cadavers of small dragons that were prowling this upper cave. Also, most of the crystals that LaShana had spotted were not horrors, just corrupted piles of crystals (which I took note of, because maybe they were horrors in embryo and something of their weaknesses could be learned). The drakes had clearly seen better days, as several of them were missing entire limbs, and between all of our protective magics they had a very hard time causing much harm to us, although their breath caused some damage to my armour. Haze was much more effective here as he set one up for us to take down and left a second one rolling about mostly uselessly as the fight went on.

The fight took a lot out of us, but at the end we were alive, and the crystal and drakes were more dead than they had been when we showed up. Also, when we searched that cavern, there were places where more crystals could have been which were empty (suggesting that a palanquin carrying one that the group had seen the last time they were here was one of many). Also, a giant astral cocoon, roughly Dragon-sized, which was empty of anything but traces of corruption, and a giant cave entrance leading right to the outside. So perhaps we can take some small comfort in the thought that while there may be a corrupted Dragon in the Throalic Mountains (which may or may not be assisted or guarded by crystalline horrors), planning does not appear to be this particular Dragon's forte.

Also, a giant crystal that was not corrupted, covered in arcane wards, with a taste of memories and history about it. At around this point, there was much groaning about Elisen not being there. By which I mostly mean that Isidoros was not there to carry the massive chunk of stone back to Throal, and we were not exactly the most muscular band of adventurers in the province. Still, we weren't about to leave it there, so we improvised; Moe did some of his cheat-y Illusionist magic and connected the doors of the two tents he had brought, we hiked to the farthest point at which he could connect them, rolled the boulder through, and repeated as necessary. I made several of us Grow to Giant proportions when it comes time to push the boulder, and... well, it was still pretty rough going. Still, we got back, and now there's about a billion Scholars who want to poke our giant memory rock, or drill holes in it, or smash it open to see what's inside, and so forth. I shall have to keep an eye on their efforts since I myself am a little curious.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:30 am

From the writings of Moe'uhane, T'skrang Illusionist, 9th Circle, Boatman 6th Circle, Messenger Rank 6

I came across a group of mutual acquaintances preparing for an adventure in Throal, and they were looking for one more person to help make the journey easier. Zivilyn, LaShana, and Sandrin were going to be accompanying the T'skrang named A'horangi, a monk/bodyguard. Apparently, she, LaShana, and Sandrin had adventured high into the Throalic mountains previously and come across a crystal entity and horde of gnashers pouring from an underground vault. They had not had time to investigate, for as the battle with the gnashers had waned, the mountain shook and the snow and scree began to loose consistency. The plan is to return and investigate the source of the gnashers.

From the tales told of the adventures into the mountains, we prepared a bit extra and then made out. I must admit, the mountain did not seem as formidable as explained, though the Flying Carpet's and Other Place between the tents made the ascent of the mountain much more palatable. As we reached the summit, our companions described the previous encounter and the potential evils we may find within. Getting a closer look at the stone temple that led into the mountain, it appeared to be flanked by a pair of dragons, neither of which seemed immediately recognizable.

We pushed into the cavern, expecting a sprawling complex, but were instead met by what appeared to be a small kaer. We made our way towards the main chamber, what I would assume was the town square. LaShana scouted ahead, and advised that she spotted movement, some sort of bags of flesh. As they did not appear on Zivilyn's Lifesight, we assumed them to be undead and/or constructs. Zivilyn and I wrapped spells aroundo our allies, drawing the attention of our boneless opponents. We attempted to hold a defensive position and lure them towards us, unfortunately we underestimated the reach of their undulating forms. As one lashed out to reach LaShana high in the air, the decision was quickly changed to move forward. Sandrin gave a shout of inspiration, and strode forward into the fray bursting sun and lightning. A'horangi flowed through the battle in an ever flowing dance, deftly landing kick, punch, and tail slap in the process. Unicorn spirits and illusionary fireballs provided support while LaShana rained slivers of death (The Whispers grew with each shot).

With the enemies defeated, we examined the central are in greater detail. The centre was a raised dais with walls surrounding it, the walls appeared to be a pictographic and written history of the kaer. From what we were able to glean from the tablets, this was the population of Stillbend. A pre-Scourge town that required a kaer in a hurry, their previous preparations had somehow been forgotten. Luckily, they were taken in by a great blue and white dragon by the name of Oberon. The kaer lived around him as he slumbered and appeared to be ruled by a council of three. However, as the story continues it seems the embers of unrest began to burn and new leadership was demanded by the population. The depictions then become much more grim, an elven leader in a bone crown with vivisected followers in the background. I fear the people of Stillbend delayed too long and a horror had infiltrated their midsts. Eventually the stories turn into nothing more than mad ramblings and eventually devolve further into mere scratchings.

Further exploration results in a chamber hidden just out of view high on the far side of the chamber. As we prepare to enter the chamber, Zivilyn draws a host of spirits, each sitting politely as they await his completion of this ritual over the next hour. The spirits then imbue us all and provide support and protection for the coming battle. We enter the chamber and are greeted by crystaline forms embedded into the wall, then from the darkness large dragonlilke forms lurch towards us. Zivilyn advises that only one of the crystals seems to be magically active, and points out the most corrupt of the group. The undead drakes spit flame at us and begin to twitch once LaShana pierces one with and arrow. She is rewarded for her valor by being doused in hissing drake flame. It begins to eat at her armour. A'horangi moves towards the crystal, as Sandrin focuses on inspiring the others and attempts to engage the oncoming drakes and distract those that are further away. I shroud him in monstrous illusion to increase his effectiveness and move towards A'horangi, receiving a rather painful growth of crystals from my tail as a reward. LaShana makes full use of the distraction and embeds shards of whisper deep within the drakes. As Zivilyn further buffs the party, he commands Haze to swoop from the shadows and debilitate drakes that are further away. The despair the crystaline entity puts forth is palpable, there is an intelligence here, I lash out at that intelligence with a torrent of curses drawing it's full attention and allowing A'horangi to shatter the crystal unimpeded. We finish the drakes of shortly thereafter and being to take further stock of this chamber.

It appears to open to the open sky on the opposite cliff face from that which we ascended, we find the husks of cocoons (which I recognize from my encounter with Aurinthor). One of the crystals appeared to be bound, and was uncorrupted. Further examination lead us to postulate that this may be some sort of memory crystal based upon the carvings. These are legendary items of great dragons, and perhaps this once belonged to Oberon. I advised that I would use my contacts to put A'horangi in touch with someone that may know a thing or two about this crystal. I suspect Lavrinn (the proxy of Mr. Spoudaios Pagameno) may provide some insight within Throal, or a visit to Aurinthor may be overdue as well.

Xzandrate

Messenger Report

Post by Xzandrate » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:30 am

**As the magic flows across the page the words come into view**

A unknown temple had been discovered by adventurers previously and was the source of a great deal of corrupted entities. Further investigation had been warranted and it was discovered to be a small fallen kaer.

Faction: Stillbend
Brief: Pre-Sourge town
Notable Actors:

Faction: Oberon
Brief: Dragon of Throalic mountains
Notable Actors:

After Action Report: The town of Stillbend scrambled to make Scourge preparations after loosing all memory of their previous preparations(this may be horrorific influence based upon the fate of the town). A dragon by the name of Oberon, blue and white in colour agreed to take in the townfolk while he slept. Apparently, envoys of Oberon provided direction and leadership of the town, but a horror had infiltrated the townfolk and incited a mutiny. After taking over the town, the horror drove the people mad with torture, though it is suspected that his true target was the dragon, and the clutch of dragon eggs that appear to have been under the dragon's watch.

A draconic memory crystal seems to have been retrieved, this will hopefully shed some light upon the final fate of Oberon, as a horror corrupted dragon is a very large threat to Barsaive.

Suggest the introduction of various "experts" to the crystal holder to expediate the investigation given the current state of affairs with nethermantic and horrormantic cultists.

Reporting Senior Agent: Bearded Dragon

**The words vanish as the magic dissipates**