AAR: [6H] The Chains We Forge (2020-11-13 @ 01:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

verse86
AAR: [6H] The Chains We Forge (2020-11-13 @ 01:00 GMT)

Post by verse86 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:25 pm

LFG: The Chains We Forge
GM: verse86
ECR: 6
Difficulty: Hard

Rumors Juniper Bloodbeat: After adventuring with Bloodbeat and Juniper, Thorkell receives a missive informing him that Poren Dask, one of the crafters he was expecting to arrive at the Tower of B'shon, is two weeks late. It is believed to be the work of slavers in the service of Dis. Thorkell requests that Juniper and Bloodbeat look into the disappearance, rescue Poren if possible, and deal with the slavers.

Requested by: Juniper and Bloodbeat
Reward: Weaponsmith Training, Lochost Advancement
Benefit: Lessen the influence of slavers and Dis.

Notes:
- Adventure runs at 8:00pm EST on Thursday, November 12th

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] Character name
[b]Date of Last Game Played:[/b]
[b]Circle:[/b] Circle of your character
[b]Discipline:[/b] Your character's Discipline(s)
[b]Unique:[/b] What your character is bringing to the table.
[b]Downtime:[/b] Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime: [Talent] [Step including +Karma Step if appropriate] ([Rank]) ([Further Details])
Last edited by verse86 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sigfriedmcwild

Re: LFG: [6H] The Chains We Forge (2020-11-13 @ 01:00 GMT)

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:30 pm

Name: Elisen
ECR: 7 (84630lp)
Last played on: 2020-11-08
Discipline: Cavalryman 6 / Troubadour 5
Quote/Unique: Deliverance flies on silent wind
Notable Abilities: Inspiring Sparkly Zoak power! (and a last chance salve)
Downtime: Animal training step 14 (10 + karma), Item History 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma), Research 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma)

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:37 pm

Name: Bloodbeat II of Syrtis
Last game played: One of the requestors
Discipline: Nethermancer 6
Quote: Tsch!  I hate birds!!
Unique/Notable Abilities: Experience Death, Friendly Darkness, Frighten, Last Chance, Soul Armor, Spirit Talk, Summon Ally Spirits, Viewpoint
Downtime: Alchemy (Step 9)

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:51 pm

Name: Juniper
ECL: 6
Discipline: Shadow
Quote/Unique: "Power to the people!"
Notable Abilities: Streetwise, Looks good naked, People person
Downtime: Drugs, poetry slams, volunteering, romantic entanglements
Last Game Played: 2020-11-09 (Rumor sponsor)

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:37 am

Name: Lazulin
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-11-06
Discipline: Raider (6)/SunHerald(5)
Unique: Combat and combat related accessories, and the guiding light of the sun.
Downtime: Research 3(9)

iceface9

Post by iceface9 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:32 am

Name: Can bring Rose or killian
Date of Last Game Played: 10-1-2020 (I think not exactly sure it’s been a bit)
ECR: 7 or ECR 5
Discipline: Nethermancer 6/Weaponsmith 5, or Warrior 4
Unique: either Debuffs and last chance and Nethermancy stuff or very immobile wall that hits hard
Downtime:
Rose: Forge weapon rank 5 step 15
Forge armor rank 5 step 15
Item history step 15

Killian Craft weapon and armor step 8 rank 3

verse86

Post by verse86 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:15 am

AAR: The Chains We Forge
GM: verse86
Difficulty: Hard

Player Rewards:
Bloodbeat: 11000 LP, 975 SP, 5 TIP
Elisen: 11000 LP, 975 SP, 5 TIP
Juniper: 11000 LP, 975 SP, 5 TIP
Lazulin: 11000 LP, 975 SP, 5 TIP

Journal Reward: +650 LP, +193.8 SP

GM Reward: Thorkell Gulbrandsen - 39000 LP, 1000 SP, 3 TIPs

Downtime:
Elisen:
Animal training step 14 (10 + karma)
Item History 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma)
Research 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma)

Bloodbeat:
Alchemy (Step 9)

Lazulin:
Research 3(9)

Summary: The players allowed themselves to be captured by the slavers to get themselves into the slave camp. They broke free, found a recurring villain, and saved Poren Dask.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:38 am

***The intricately covered ice blue journal contains a single blue crystal on the centre, with the simple gold lettering below it 'Lazulin' ***

Page 13

Fortune strikes, I am met by Juniper, Bloodbeat, and Elisen. They tell me that Thorkell has lost a worker, a smith loosing his tools, a disgrace if not for the situation with his friend Vralino and the Tower of B'shon drawing so much attention. The belief is that this ginger haired fellow was captured by possible slavers. I can tell by the eyes, one of these weapons craves the taste of blood.

I agree and we head out. We discuss many plans as we make our way along the southern edge of the Throalic mountain range. The goal is intersect with the Serpent and find the slavers. Luckily, fortune smiles again. As we travel along the river, contemplating a plan we are approached by a, less than reputable looking, group on a skiff, offering us a ride upon their ship. Juniper springs immediately, the edge of his tongue cutting deeply into the story that he is a merchant with his t'skrang accountant looking for trade opportunities. He agrees for us to take refuge on the boat.

It takes little time to verify this is indeed a likely slaver ship. We discuss the benefits of killing them all now, or waiting to find the buyers. Although there is hesitation, Juniper provides the swaying argument. The blessing of his Passion can free us, and we hold more tactical advantage by having them underestimate us. We played into their hand and the expected attack came that night, we put up enough of a fight to make them see value in us but underestimate our true power.

A short time later we were handed over to a larger encampment, a mine of some sort. Fortune struck a third time, we were left with only a pair of guards, so we took advantage of the situation. The shackles fell and our freedom was gained. We searched the barracks and then moved into the mine to deal with any remaining slavers. It didn't take long to find them.

The group was dispatch fairly quickly, it was a loud and fast battle. The leader, an acolyte of Dis in charge by the name Willow, fled before we could apprehend her, she stepped through a door that Juniper said had a grassy field on the other side. I have a feeling we will cross paths again though. We freed the people, though some needed to rest the day before they shook off the influence of Willow. Thorkell's apprentice was retrieved and delivered to the Tower of B'shon.

We used our strengths to our advantage and allowed our enemies to underestimate us and do the work of moving us into the position where we could do the most damage. Each of the weapons were flexible and nimble, we all played our part. The tongues of Juniper and Elisen cut down any hopes our opponents may have held. With that sense of despair not being enough, Bloodbeat peered deep within their soul and ignited a fear to ensure they thought twice about standing against us. Unfortunately, my part was to keep opponents at bay, for I could not bring the tip of my spear to bear. I proudly watched my allies perform to their peak, taking whatever pains the enemy may inflict in their stead.

***A great Iced Claw adorns the bottom of the page ***

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:22 pm

Bloodbeat's Journal

As we approached Throal (returning from Irondelve where we’d aided Thaddeus Korbit), a boy raced to us and gasping, told Thorkell that there was trouble. A dwarven builder of Thorkell’s acquaintance, Poren Dash, was a month overdue in getting to the Tower of Ba’tosh.

The Tower was a pre-Scourge Weaponsmith mecca, built by a Questor of Upandal Named Ba’shon, located east of the Throal Mountains. It had been found in ruins and Thorkell had devoted months, even years, to getting it restored. It was nearly ready to re-open. But now this disaster. They feared that Poren had been captured by slavers.

Thorkell confirmed the details and then asked Juniper and me to find Poren and bring him to the Tower. Solemnly, he told me that if I helped accomplish this task, then he would gladly arrange for me to receive Weaponsmith training. Even without that added incentive, both Juniper and I would’ve helped. So, in any case, we readily agreed.

Thorkell had other pressing business in Throal, so could not accompany us. Instead, Elisen the windling Cavalryman and Lazulin the Raider joined us.

We journeyed first to Clear Creek Crossing and then to Kampung Gajah. In the latter, a dwarf matching Poren’s description had been seen about 3 weeks ago, and in the former about 1 month ago. Kampung Gajah reported that he had a wagon and headed east overland, following the edge of the Throal Mountains.

We followed Poren’s supposed path to the east. We found no evidence of a broken wagon, or a skirmish, or any clue as to Poren’s location. Several weeks after we started, we reached the banks of the Serpent River.

As we were discussing which were the nearest fords across the river, we caught sight of a good-sized ship on the river, perhaps 35’ long. A group of crewmen sailed a longboat over to us, and kindly asked if we wanted a ride north. This raised our collective suspicions immediately. What does it say about Barsaive that when someone offers help we immediately think they’re up to no good? In this case, we were right.

After discussion, we accepted their offer and boarding their ship. Juniper thought quickly, and introduced himself as a young heir to a trading house in Throal, and added that this was his first time on a trading journey. He introduced me as his accountant, and Elisen and Lazulin as his guards; after all, the world is a dangerous place.

The ship seemed a normal merchant vessel at first. The crew was welcoming. We estimated there were four t’skrang adepts in the martial disciplines, K’Tenshin by their accents, while the rest of the crew were mundane. They offered us a private cabin and dinner at the captain’s table. I acted my role of accountant, asking about what goods they were carrying, what their profit margin was and where they sold such things as tools. It was amusing to watch them obviously making up answers to the questions. When we stabled Elisen’s mount in a cage below decks, we noticed several other cages, and in one of them a resigned-looking dwarf; not Poren.

Privately, we discussed our options. We concluded that the best choice was to go along and let them capture us. Juniper’s Questor abilities would allow him to remove all our shackles at the appropriate time. We secreted key equipment on Elisen’s mounts, so that when they searched us no suspicions would be raised, and so the gear would be available to us later.

We set watches that night, but otherwise acted like normal merchants accepting the ship’s hospitality. During the night, they opened our cabin door and after we gave a token protest, shackled each of us and put us in the cages.

After two days sailing on the Serpent River, the ship docked and the slavers transferred us to a cage set atop a wagon, all covered with a tarp. Two more days of bumpy overland travel and the wagon stopped. They took us out of the wagon, still shackled. We were at a mine set in some foothills. There was a single large outbuilding. The slavers met with a couple of humans and we caught stray words that indicated they were haggling over a price for us. Eventually they came to an agreement and the t’skrang slavers left, leaving us with the mine slavers.

Our new owners led us into the building. We saw sleeping quarters, a desk with various papers, and a kitchen area. While the slavers were distracted, Juniper broke our shackles and we made short work of the two slavers. Elisen’s mount, Isadoros, charged into the building at his call, breaking down the wall in a murderous attack. Afterward, Juniper searched the papers on the desk and found that orders for supplies were all signed in a flowing script with the Name Willow.

Next we proceeded into the mine opening. After about 10 yards we reached a decision point; go straight or left. Juniper scouted to the left and found two mine guards. He acted the role of supervisor and berated them for still being at their current post, sending them off, straight into the line of sight for the rest of us. Between all our mental attacks, they were scared witless, and ran off, heading straight down the mine passageway. We followed, and were surprised to find two more guards, a couple of beefy troll enforcers, and their boss, Willow.

The fight was tough. Even though we rattled them so much that they could barely hit us, Willow turned the tables on us, and reduced our effectiveness severely. By her words (“Everyone is a slave to something”) and actions (causing Juniper to feel absolutely desolated), we concluded that she was a Questor of Dis. Eventually, Elisen, Jacint and Juniper ganged up on her, and she ran, opening a door, and then slamming it shut behind her. With Willow gone, the rest were easy to vanquish.

When Juniper smashed open the door, all he found was another mine passageway, but no Willow. Strangely, when she had opened the door for escape, we had caught a glimpse of sunlight and green grass beyond. Hmm, we suspected in addition to being a Questor, she was also an Illusionist. I suspect we haven’t seen the last of Willow.

Afterward, we freed the slaves, and found Poren there. Some of the slaves, including Poren, were mindless, as if undead. The others told us that if slaves resisted, she put some ‘spell’ on them and caused them to comply like this; the effect would be gone by the end of the day. Others were resigned to their slavery, while others seemed happy and content as slaves.

We recovered quickly and then returned back down the road leading to the Serpent River. We found the t’skrang slavers, and killed them all.

After returning to the mine, we gave Poren and the others a couple of days to rest, and then brought Poren and anyone else so inclined to the Tower of Ba’tosh. Thorkell was thrilled that we’d recovered Poren.

Before we left the Tower for our return to Throal, Thorkell gave me a piece of valuable advice. He said that a Weaponsmith is always in the front line. Even if they weren’t physically fighting hand-to-hand themselves, their weapons and armor were, making the difference between life and death. He cautioned that whenever I forge something to make sure that I do the absolute best I can so that my work does not fail in the middle of battle. Wise words.

sigfriedmcwild

Re: AAR: [6H] The Chains We Forge (2020-11-13 @ 01:00 GMT)

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:11 pm

From the memoirs of Elisen of clan Adorjan, Haressa-tis and Lore Keeper

On the way from Irondelve to Throal after "dealing" with the "alchemist mafia", Thorkell (Thorkell Gulbrandsen, troll Weaponsmith and Warrior) received a message that one of the craftsfolk (Poren Dash, human) hired to restore the Tower of Ba'tosh had never arrived and was now more than a month late. The reasonable conclusion was that they'd been kidnapped on the way and possibly enslaved.

Bloodbeat (Bloodbeat II of Syrtis, t'skrang Nethermancer), Juniper (Solanus Pyrocantha, elven Shadow and Questor of Lochost), and I offered to investigate the matter while Thorkell attended to business at the tower itself. Just as we were about to leave we were joined by Lazulin (troll Raider and Sun Herald).

We followed what we thought was Poren's most likely path, going south east along the foothills of the Throalic mountains with stops in Clrearcreek Crossing and Kampung Gaja, where we asked around to see if anyone had seen them. We were able to confirm that Poren was seen making his way down to the Serpent with a cart and that after the takedown of captain van Drake there was no organised slaver activity on the Coil.

The rest of the journey was uneventful and we started following the northern bank of the Serpent until were were approached by a rowboat a day or so outside Dviel. The t'skrang crew of the rowboat offered to take us up to their ship to speed up our travel, an offer that had us immediately suspicious. Junpier immediately adopted the persona of a clueless merchant with us as bodyguards and assistants.

On the boat we were introduced to the captain who offered us a cabin and dinner, my empathic sense definitely registered tension in the crew but nothing damning yet. Isidoros was taken to the hold which was partitioned in several cages while Juniper snuck around and found a prisoner in a hidden section.

Before dinner we agreed to let them think they could capture us and hid our gears in various ways, I sent Jacint off with mine. The dinner was pleasant, and was followed by the expected ambush during the night. We spent a couple of days in the cages before being offloaded to a cart and taken to a mine where we were sold.

As soon as the slavers had left, Juniper broke our shackles with Lochost's power and we proceeded to make the two guards watching us briefly regret ever being involved in the slave trade. Since I was unarmed and Jacint was still away, I let Isidoros went their frustration on the guards... and the wall... and possibly other structurally important bits of the building we were in. As they say "a surprise dyre, is a good dyre".

After dealing with the guards, Jacint arrived brining my gear and the others took the time to look around. The building we were in served as the living quarters for the mine crew and also as the office and they found the ledger, signed by one Willow.

We made our way into the mine where we tried to overwhelm the first group of guards, but they managed to run into more and raise the alarm which attracted the attention of an obvious leadery person, maybe the Willow from the ledger?

The fight was surprisingly one sided despite their number advantage as Bloodbeat kept terrorizing them while the rest of us worked on taunting them and breaking their morale. The presumptive Willow appeared to be an Illusionist and also favoured attempting to break our will, but quit the field in a hurry when Jacint finally managed to get a good bite in. They left through a door that should have led further into the mine but looked like it went outside instead. Annoying Illusionists.

After that all the remaining guards surrendered and I had to stop Juniper from killing the guards as a "better" alternative to imprisonment. Well that's a side of Juniper that I had missed till then. As we freed the slaves, we found one matching Poren's description but completely devoid of will. Some questions later we learnt that Willow used some magic to break the slaves will, but it should break in a few days.

At this point we left the miners at the mine for a couple of days as we tracked down the slavers making their way back to the boat and "removed" them, then we took everyone to Dviel where they could rest, heal, and recover. Once Poren was themselves again, we filled them in and took them to the tower, where we found a party in full swing, some ruined building, two dead wyverns and a boar almost as big as Isidoros being roasted. Apparently we missed the real interesting part of the story.