AAR: [2M] Road Trip 2020-10-16 2300 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Sinless
Re: AAR: [2M] Road Trip 2020-10-16 2300 GMT

Post by Sinless » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:06 am

Journal of T’slon Vlatar
Entry #1, Road Trip

I arrived at the Royal Ministry of Trade early in the morning. To tell you the truth,I had a hard time sleeping the night before, because I was so excited about the adventure ahead. I know a guarding a road crew might not be a big deal to most, but this is where I change the story of my life.

At the office, I was introduced to Sundora Velm, and her assistant Pillian Morningdew. They explained the task, and I could tell by her look of confidence that she knew her road crew had nothing to worry about. They would be safe.

We were soon leaving the gates of Throal, and heading to Foggy Glen. As we traveled, I sized up my comrades and deduced I was indeed in luck, as they all seemed to be very competent. And though nobody directly stated it, I could tell that they were also impressed by my natural skill with the sword.

Upon reaching Foggy Glen our band met the earnest road crew we would be protecting. Lorded by Foreman Theni Lliclo, the crew tirelessly toiled away turning bumpy earth into less bumpy earth. As I watch them I could not help but feel sorry for how tedious their work was, and before long I was practicing my sword work to entertain them. They were, as I expected, enthralled by my nimble footwork and graceful swordplay. But I knew what they were thinking, “sure he is amazing to watch without an enemy, but will he be as talented in a real battle?” This question would be answered in the days to come.

A few days later, as the monotony of watching the earth being molded into a roadway was near to boring me to death, a threat decided to challenge our group. A horde of giant termites attacked. I had heard stories of giant termites but these were obviously a larger breed of termites. For all I know, they could have been mutated by some foul nethermancer, for they attack with the fierceness rarely seen. And while I performed dashingly, my allies cut the creatures down without any respect for my performance for the crew. Nonetheless, by the end of the battle, they knew my talents were not only for show.

The next few days were uneventful, up until a t’skrang worker went missing after going to take care of the call of nature. We went off to where the crew had been relieving themselves and found only the t’skrang’s pants. After some searching, we were ambushed by the band of bandits who had taken the poor worker. And while the bandits, lead by what I assume was a troll skyraider, we talented we were able to defeat them without much difficulty. We were able to subdue and capture most of the bandits, but unfortunately, the troll was killed. But this is the risk you take when you cross swords with T’slon Vlatar.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:08 am

You are reading the writings of Truck of the Deep Servos, windling Warrior of the 2nd circle. 

The Royal Ministry of Trade is setting out to survey and build roads linking some of the new settlements in the lowlands. Due to political scandal and maneuvering, they don't yet have the support of the army, and request Adepts to protect their crews while they work. Several of us responded to their ads, and met with Sundora Velm and her assistant, Pillian Morningdew at the Ministry offices, not the main offices but a very cramped overflow set of offices. We agreed to spend several weeks guarding a work crew laying out a trail from Foggy Glenn to Bards Bottom.  

We traveled to Foggy Glenn and met the forman Theni Lliclo and his crew of very mixed workers. We organized our guard watches 24/7. We saw much amazing wildlife, but none of it disturbed the work until we noticed some Greater Termites making off with some construction tools, There were about 4 each of two different castes. We slew all except one, and then followed that back to it's mound, which turned out to be well over a mile away from the road. We posted two (stone) signs warning not to camp or rest in that area.

A few days later, at the end of the day, one of the road workers,N'Hato, a T'Skrang, was noticed missing, We found signs of a struggle and a kidnapping. We followed the signs and found that he had been kidnapped by some bandits who were questioning him what sort of protections the road crew  had. There was a Troll with two war dogs, and 3 people with bows (one quite good). In the resulting fight we slew the troll, and captured two of the other bandits. We kept them captive and turned them over to the city watch of Throal. 

verse86

Post by verse86 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Vallone's Journal:
Money is finally starting to run low again. It could stretch farther, but Sarell's sessions cost a week's worth of food each. They are worth it, though. We are seeing progress. She still can't speak, but she is more willing to engage with other individuals. I have spent nearly the last of my money to ensure she will be well taken care of while I leave for Throal to find work as an adventurer.
I found a notice on the boards from the Royal Ministry of Trades. They need someone to guard a road construction crew because they haven't been able to get the army's cooperation yet. This seems an easy enough job with decent pay.
I guess the company was really expecting an army because they hired six of us to guard the crews while they work. The only person I recognized was Rendar who I worked with way back on the Soaring Espagra job. We also had a T'skrang swordmaster named T'slon, a Windling warrior named Truck, a Dwarf elementalist named Barag, and a Human warrior named R'edtarian.
Our trip down and much of the actual guarding was pretty boring. The work crew was fun, though. One day some termites tried to steal a bunch of the boxes. We put them down pretty easily. You should have seen Rendar, though. He got knocked off his horse and then a termite wanted his spear and dragged him along the ground. I laughed so hard about that afterward.
We also had an incident where one of the T'skrang workers went missing when he went to relieve himself. We found his pants, and a bunch of drag marks. We followed until we found a bunch of bandits: this big troll and his two dogs plus some other people hiding in the bushes and rocks. I hurt one so badly they ran away and started trying to scare the other ones, too. I must have scared them good because they started firing arrows at me. We ended up only killing the troll and were able to hand the others over. We found the T'skrang worker and untied him...but we forgot to bring his pants along. He was so embarrassed. I hope he can laugh about it later. I know I did.
Our employer, Sundora Velm, commended us on our work and said we have an advocate if ever we are looking for more work with the Ministry.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:20 pm

1423 - Summer. Rendar reporting.

The Royal Ministry of Trade is setting up roads to encourage trade to some of the smaller villages. Sundora Velm and her assistant Pillian Morningdew hire us to protect the workers while they level the ground and place the mile markers. Apparently, other ministries don't see the worker's safety as a high priority. We're sent to work the beat from Foggy Glen to Bard's Bottom. All told, this should take two weeks.

The other adepts to respond:
Truck (Windling Warrior)
Barag (Dwarf Elementalist)
R’edtarian (Human Warrior)
T’Slon (T’skrang Swordmaster)
Vallone (Windling Shadow)

Day Two
It’s nearly Earthtime, so it’s swelteringly hot above ground. A few days later we arrive at Foggy Glen. The village is mostly farms and ranches with some communal buildings. One of the crew greets us, foreman Theni Llichlo. We exchange Greeting Rituals, he does some embroidery. The work crew is mostly dwarven, no Windlings or Obsidifolk, and a single T’skrang.

We travel up the road for about half a day. They’re leveling the ground and placing wooden beams on the sides to mark the border. Some stones are set aside for mile markers.

We set up a guard rotation, so half of us are resting at any given time. At night there is revelry and storytelling. We see some wild animals around, but they largely avoid us or are scared off when we make enough noise.

Day Five
Some of the workers look up and notice one of the clouds looks likes a bird. They’re swooping and circling, 50 ft wingspan. R’edtarian recognizes it as a Cloud Bird, teaching it’s young how to fly long distances. Another worker notices that some of the supply boxes are moving on their own. We move up and find that they’re being carried off by Giant Termites.

The insects worked better as a group than we did at first. They swarmed around us and focused attacks on one target. I was dismounted and nearly dragged off before I had a chance to recover. Once their lieutenants (darker shells) were killed, the soldiers fled.

Day Eight
The workers are very pleased with our fight, telling stories about it every night.
We spend time recovering, many of us being physicians speeds up the process.

As the workday comes to a close. The foreman is wondering where the T’skrang, Nahado, has gotten to. He was last seen heading to the latrines. We start searching the area and find some pants on the ground and signs of a struggle. They may have dragged him to the Northeast. We head that way, not sending word back to the rest of the workers.

We follow the trail into some game paths. There’s some kicked up dirt, more signs of a struggle.

Eventually, we find a Troll and a pair of hunting dogs. Quechir seems to notice something and gets aggressive. We hear Nahado call out for help. The Troll asks if we’re with the road crew. He whistles to his friends, and an ambush is launched by brigands from the trees.

Despite their advantage of missiles and ambush, we prevail by focusing on the Troll first. This demoralized the others, who took minor injuries before fleeing or surrendering. We arrest the unconscious and captives to bring back to Throal for justice. We find Nahado not far away, tied up at a campsite. He tells us they were testing the defenses of the road, and getting what supplies they could. Given time and resources, they could've grown into a serious band of brigands.

Day Fourteen
We complete the stretch to Bard's Bottom without further incident and prepare to return to Throal. The work crew is very grateful for our help. We were better company than the army would have been.
Last edited by Dougansf on Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:41 am

My mother rushed up to me as I was reading a book on anatomy and handed me a flier from the Royal Ministry of Trade. She was beaming and I read the flier indicating that the RMoT was looking for adepts to guard some road crews. I looked at mother and rolled my eyes but she was insistent that I should help out Thoral in any way I can.

The next day I went to the RMoT offices and meet with Sundora Velm, where she explained at length the value of building roads. She wants to hire us as guards for a couple of weeks as the road crew builds the backbone of civilization. There are several other adepts here Truck a Windling warrior, Barag a Dwarf Elementalist, T'Slon a T'Skrang Swordmaster, Vallone a Windling Shadow and Rendar an Orc Cavalryman. We all agree to act as guards and head to Foggy Glenn. What a great adventure my mother has encouraged me to go on.

We travel to Foggy Glenn and meet with Theni and his road crew. We started talking with the crew and making "friends" with them. I spent as much time as possible reading his books. After a couple of days we notice some of the supplies just walking off. After we get close to the supply crates, there are some termites carrying the crates away. This will make for a great story to tell my kids, my first quest was to kill some thieving termites. Yes Termites...

A couple of more days of boredom pass when we notice one of the T'skrang workers is missing. The guards headed off into the wilds to find the lost worker. Oh dang it that's me. We eventually come across a Troll, with some dogs and our missing worker. The Troll was not willing to release the worker and some archers jumped out of the bushes to attack us. All of this over a road crew worker??

Well after a battle we killed the troll, one of the dogs and captured some of the archers. We then returned the wayward worker and headed back to Thoral with our bandit prisoners. I guess defeating a group of bandits and rescuing a worker isn't a total waste of my time.

Rathan01

Post by Rathan01 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:42 pm

A journal entry from Barag Yurdum of House Yurdum,

Am writing journal entry to describe events dealing with protection job for Royal Ministry of Trade. At Ministry we meet Pillian Morningdew who take us to Sundora Velm. She is sturdy, not ugly, Dwarf woman who give us job. We will be protecting road crew from Foggy Glen to Bard’s Bottom. They are towns if confused. Am traveling with T’slon, Vallone, Rendar, Truck, and R'edtarian.

At Foggy Glen, we meet Foreman Theni Lliclo. Strong competent Dwarf leading road crew. Good crew, interesting stories. Everything normal for first five days. We see Cloud bird with babies. Very large. Giant Termites tried to steal equipment. We kill eight, we let two go.

Several days later, T’skrang goes missing. We search and find he has been grabbed, leaving pants behind. We track and are ambushed by four bandits. Bandit leader is Troll with two war dogs. I have very good cast of Earth Darts to kill leader. Dogs do not like this and make me chew toy. We kill dogs, one bandit runs, one bandit knocked out, and one bandit surrenders when I give death ultimatum. We will return bandits to Throal for justice.

Rest of trip is easy and boring. We bring prisoners to Throal guards. We meet with Sundora Velm for payment and she is happy with our work. Maybe more work from her in future.