AAR: [4M] Blow Your Horn 2020-09-20 2200 GMT

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

bronzemountain
AAR: [4M] Blow Your Horn 2020-09-20 2200 GMT

Post by bronzemountain » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:44 am

AAR: Proxy Battle
GM: Dvarim
ECR: 4
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Killian: 2200LP, 375SP, 3TiPs
Mal: 2200 LP, 375 SP, 3 TIPs. Journal: 110 LP, 93.75 SP.
Redsun: 2200lp 375sp 3TIP: Journal 110LP, 93.75SP
Mazor 2200LP, 250SP, 3TiPs Wind Instrument (horn - size small) (125)

Alternate Rewards:
50% off: Musical Instruments

GM Reward: Juniper (2,200 LP, 375 SP, 3 TIPs)

Downtime:
Killian: Craft Weapon/Armor 3/8
Redsun: Research 1/11 (+3 with 20sp)
Mal: Craft Weapon 3/10

Summary:
Musicians in Throal are ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the new horn instruments coming out of the Galon Hornworks. Several unnamed Throal citizens are disappointed that their ... romantic aids will not be improved.

ChrisDDickey

Re: AAR: [4M] Blow Your Horn 2020-09-20 2200 GMT

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:55 am

From the journal of Mazor of the deep Servos, windling Beastmaster. 

Some of us were sitting around drinking when somebody posted a flier on the tavern door about an adventuring job looking for "experienced Novices". Redsun Mal, Killian and I wandered down to Golin Hornworks to inquire. He makes musical instruments and he had a request for a special horn made from a rare and special form of mountain goat horn. These goats have giant heads and horns, and legend says that they can play their own horns. Historically, they were only found over 1000 miles west of Throal, but they were said to also be kept (pre-scourge) in a menagerie in the Scavin mountains (4004). It is known that the owner of this menagerie was unable to find room for it in any kear, and so released all of his animals. It is possible that the released coloney of mountain goats survived, and are still wandering the scivin mountains. He told us he would pay top dollar for all of the horns of this species we could collect.

We also spoke with another dwarf, Nedwig Pestil, who ran a specialty alchemist shop who old us that these particular horns could be used in specific alchemical recipes, and also wanted all the horns we collected. After getting supplies, we headed for Sossenopa, where we took passage on a boat going downstream for a day or two, up until the big bend where the Serpent stops going North and turns to the East. We noted that Sossenopa continues to grow. We also noted that river traffic is really picking up, including boats manned entirely by humans. 

We journeyed into the foothills, and on the 2nd day saw some devolved Orks, being lead by a Ogre, that curiously was wearing a very large cloak in the colors of Thystonious. We knocked the Ogre out and scattered the Orks. I can't help but feeling that something might possibly be done for those poor Orks. It is obvious that they underwent physical changes during the scourge, but maybe they need somebody to teach them civilization again. 

The next day we spotted many giant footprints. At first I thought they were lizard tracks, but it was pointed out to me that they seemed to be tracks of two species of giant flightless birds. Early the next morning we snuck by several groups of such birds, but we had no choice but to pass too close to one mixed group of 4, and we ended up fighting 2 Crackbills, and 2 Tarrack Destroyers. The Crackbills were poisonous. The Tarrack were amazingly fast. 

We got clear of that immediate area, and kept climbing the mountain. Once we got out of crackbill territory, but before we entered mountain goat territory, we camped for 2 nights and a day to heal all our wounds. During this time, we would occasionally hear horn blasts from further up the mountain, so we reconed our quarry was near. We climbed up and encountered a herd of hoop horns, but the 4 biggest rams were corrupted in some way, I felt they were beyond my beastmaster abilities. We slew the 4 rams and collected thier horns. We also collected all the horns we could find on the ground. I also captured two juvenile breeding pairs from the herd to take back to Throal as breeding stock.

Upon returning to Throal we sold all the horns we collected to Golim. I bought a very nice miniature trumpet off of him, which I am learning to play. 

redwraith

Post by redwraith » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:21 am

I was busy arranging to buy a house in Sosanopa when a runner boy came by saying that Golin Hornworks is looking for adepts, experienced novice adepts. Well purchasing a house isn't cheap so headed over to Golin's once I was finished at the bank.

Once there I ran into my fellow adepts Mal, Killian and Mazor who also responded to the ad. Golin explained that he was searching for a special goat horn. These goats lived before the scourge over a 1000 miles to the west of Throal. He explains that there is a rumor of a menagerie in the nearby Scavin mountains. This menagerie was also from before the scourge so hopefully these goats survived. He wants as many horns as we can find and is willing to pay us very well for these horns.

After we agreed to retrieve these horns and left Golin's shop we were approached by Nedwig Pestil a dwarf apothecary who also wanted the horns. He wanted the horns to create some copulation aids. He offered to match Golin's price and provide us with a discount on healing potions. The group of us decided to honor the original deal with Golin. We gathered some traveling supplies and made our way to Sosanopa where we gained passage on a boat to save a couple of days of walking.

We headed into the mountains and after a couple of days of travel we noticed a group of feral Orks pacing us. The Orks and an Ogre who was displaying the colors of Thystonious. Is he a champion? or Questor of Thystonious? Killian quickly knocked the ogre out and the Orks quickly fled. We felt badly for these Orks and their Ogre leader so we quickly bandaged the Ogre and continued on our way. Mynbruje was stunned at the Ogre questor of Thystonious.

The next day we came across some large footprints which after some discussion we figured that they were some giant bird like creature and not lizard tracks. The next day Mazor was flying above us to help us navigate around the giant bird creatures. As we were walking along I noticed an orange stain on the rocks, Killian and I related our previous experience with some Crackbills and their breath attack which paralyzes. Mazor then pointed out that the mountain pass ahead had a nest of these bird creatures which we couldn't bypass.

Once we approached these creatures there were two Crackbills and two much larger creatures, Tarrack Destroyers. We entered into combat and one of the destroyers charged me from an unbelievable distance and knocked me flying back. One of the Crackbills attacked Killian with a breath attack and Killian quickly fell over paralyzed. Mazor commanded the other Crakbill to flee and the rest of us dispatched the other three creatures. Killian and myself had suffered some injuries and we agreed to rest for a couple of days so we can heal.

During our rest we heard a very strange sound which we assume is from the goats. We eventually climbed to the mesa that the goat herd called home. The view was stunning and we approached the goats cautiously. The four largest rams from the herd approached us to defend the herd. Mazor indicated that these goats were tainted and beyond his abilities to control. I quickly took own the lead ram and one of them unleashed a sound wave at me which knocked me flat and the other 2 charged me while I was rolling around on the ground avoiding them. After that we quickly dispatched the rest of the rams.

We collected the horns from the rams and some of the shed horns lying about to bring back to Golin. Mazor collected 4 of the younger goats to bring back to Throal to add to the breeding stock. Golin was very pleased with the horns and paid us the agreed amount.

I packed up my belongings and made my way to Sosanopa, my new home excited to start my investigator practice.

Rathan01

Post by Rathan01 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:22 am

*Written in precise and un-flourished penmanship on clean, fresh paper with bright blue ink*

A job was posted by Galon Hornworks for “Experienced Novices”. This got my attention and I had to check this out. Apparently I wasn’t the only curious person and small group showed up at Galon’s which consisted of: me, Mazor, Killian, and Redsun.

This show made horns. All different types of horns but still ... all they make is horns. Anyway, we met Galon and found out that his job was to try and find a special kind of goat whose horns were unique music instruments. He had a possible location that was based on info about a menagerie in the Scavin mountains. When we left the shop we were approached by a dwarf named Nedwig Pestle. He offered to pay us to deliver the horns to him for “performance-enhancing” drugs.

We traveled to Sossanopa then to the Scavin mountains and were attacked by and Oger and some feral Orcs. It looked like the Oger was wearing robes and a badge of a questor of Thystonious which was very strange. We quickly overpowered the group, scaring away the Orcs and knocking out the Oger. We did a little physician work to make sure the Oger didn’t die just in case he actually was, somehow, a questor. While leaving the area we were followed, but not attacked, by a whole tribe of feral Orcs. Maybe someone should go out and help the tribe out as maybe there might be namegivers living out there.

Further into the mountains, we ran into groups of Crakbills. We were able to maneuver around some of the biggest groups but our luck ran out and we were blocked by 4 of the large aggressive birds. It turns out 2 of them were heavier tougher versions called Tarrack Destroyers. One of the Crakbills breathed poison on Killian paralyzing him. One of the Tarraks slammed Redsun back against the rocks. We were able to turn the fight around and take down three of the birds with Mazor scaring off the fourth.

We finally made it to a plateau in the mountains and found a group of Loop Horns. Four of the rams seem to be corrupted as they were much bigger and as we soon found out, they were able to use their horns to great effect. One blast from their horns knocked down Redsun then they proceeded to charge and try to stomp him. While he rolled around on the ground dodging their hooves, we were able to kill the rams. We collected their horns and some of the discarded ones and took them back to Galon to be made into musical instruments.