AAR: [7M] Just a Little Prick

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:05 pm

LFG: Just a Little Prick
Time: 2020-09-04 2300 GMT
GM: Dvarim
Circle: 7
Difficulty: Medium

Rumor: Aunt Boogaloo remembers the existence of a book called The Tome of Delightful Pricks but no one knows where it is now. Help Azurea find new reading material and you might benefit from her newfound expertise with pricks.

Requested by: Azurea
Reward: Absorb Blow blood charm recipe
Benefit: Terrible puns

Notes:
- Adventure runs at 7:00pm EDT on Friday, September 4th
- As always, I run groups of 5 players.

Code: Select all

[b]Name:[/b] Character name
[b]Date of Last Game Played:[/b]
[b]Circle:[/b] Circle of your character
[b]Discipline:[/b] Your character's Discipline(s)
[b]Unique:[/b] What your character is bringing to the table.
[b]Downtime:[/b] Talents and Skills that other characters can use over downtime: [Talent] [Step including +Karma Step if appropriate] ([Rank]) ([Further Details])
Last edited by bronzemountain on Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brian L

Re: LFG: [7M] Just a Little Prick

Post by Brian L » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:16 pm

Name: Reyis Poriv
Date of Last Game Played: Aug 25
Circle: ECR-8
Discipline: Shaman (6)/Monk (5)
Unique: Spells-Buffs to Awareness, Stealth, Healing, Poison, other things.
Downtime: Animal Training (6) Step 15; Research (5) Step 21; Item History (5) Step 21; Large supply of acid and acid like ingredients.
Plays well with others and shares toys.

Lashana

Post by Lashana » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:52 pm

Name: LaShana Tumblesprout
Date of Last Game Played: 8/25/2020 Hungry Like A Wolf
ECR: 6/7
Discipline: Thief
Unique: Enthusiasm and an ability to fumble/stumble into trouble. Can also open...and close doors - possibly even if they are locked. ;)
Downtime: drinking and rabble rousing...will buy drinks for friends

Sharkforce

Post by Sharkforce » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:02 pm

Name: Zivilyn
ECR: 7
Last Played: Aug 25
Discipline: Shaman/Wizard/Elementalist 6/5/3
Notable Abilities: Spells, a little bit of everything at this point. Good with animals. Only *mostly* incompetent at social stuff.
Downtime: Downtime: Animal Training (Talent) - Step 18 including karma (Rank 8) (can train up to 8 commands total, or improve non-combat skills by +1 per command used on it)
Research - Step 24 including karma (Rank 5). +3 to the step is available at a cost of 20 sp for access to the Great Library of Throal, if for some reason you need it.
Item History - Step 15 including karma (Rank 4)

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:03 pm

Name: Moe'uhane
Date of Last Game Played: 2020-08-15
ECR: 8
Discipline: Illusionist(8)/Messenger (6)/Boatman(2)
Unique: Enhanced matrix, buffs, some socials, Pretend fireballs
Downtime: Research - step 11
Craft Spell Matrix Objects:(7/19) Standard - 6 days -1000 SP; Enhanced 7 days - 2000 SP

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:47 am

AAR: Just a Little Prick
GM: Dvarim
ECR: 7
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Reyis: 13,000 LP, 475 sp, 3 TIPs, Last Chance Salve
LaShana: 13,000 LP, 125 sp, 3 TIPs, Last Chance Salve & rare and expensive materials (FEATHERS!!!! :heart:)
Zivilyn: 13,000 LP, 475 sp, 3 TIPs, Last Chance Salve
Moe'uhane: 13,000 LP, 525 sp, 3 TIPS, 500 sp enchanting materials
Azurea: 13.000 LP, 275 sp, 3 TIPS, Absorb Blow Pattern

Alternate Rewards:
50% off: Absorb Blow Pattern, Last Chance Salve, Rare/Expensive Materials (Enchanting - Snowbird/Firebird feathers)

GM Reward: Dvarim (69,000 LP, 1,400 SP, 3 TIPs)

Downtime:
Reyis: Animal Training 6/15, Research 5/21, Item History 5/21
Zivilyn: Animal Training 8/18, Research 5/24, Item History 4/15
Azurea: Alchemy 3/9 (Booster Potion, Light Quartz)
Moe'uhane: Research 11, Craft Spell Matrix 7/19 (Standard - 6 days/1000sp; Enhanced - 7 days/2000sp)

Summary:
One Pryck rescued, another Pryck found, a Tome of Delightful Pricks recovered.
Ch'ief Ch'onk lives to fight another day. CH'ONK!

Sharkforce

Re: AAR: [7M] Just a Little Prick

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:32 am

From the Journal of Zivilyn, Windling Magician: Just a Little Prick

Well, this was definitely an unusual adventure. I was minding my own business in the Great Library when suddenly Azurea bursts in and announces loudly that she's "Looking for a prick". And people say nothing exciting ever happens there. Anyways, after a bit more discussion (and a lot of giggling from LaShana, who had come with her) it turns out that what she meant is that there was a book about "acupuncture" (apparently it's this thing where people get stabbed with needles to make them feel better... sounds sketchy to me, but I guess it takes all sorts) and it was in the possession of someone by the Name of Enver Pryck. or Renve Pryck. She wasn't super clear which, apparently it was based on something from her Aunt Boogaloo or something. Well, whatever, I suppose it helps to keep the troll who throws pointy things at the stuff that wants to kill me happy, so this is my life now.

Anyways, Reyis and Moe were also in the library and also got roped into this task, and it didn't take long to find out that the book was pre-scourge and had been in the possession of a number of people, most recently including two entirely unrelated people, both of which Azurea's aunt had mentioned. Honestly, if people can't even be bothered to have the extra name mean something, why do they even *bother* with the blasted things in the first place? YOU HAD ONE JOB, EXTRA NAME. Ahem. Where was I? Right, two different people who seemed to have had contact with the "Tome of Delightful Pricking" in the past year. One was an Elf, Renve I think... she had gone off to examine some large purple pillar in the mountains known as Blakthak Muk to the local Trolls, known as a site of Elemental power, while Enver(?) had gone off to find some sap-producing tree in the Servos known as "Serela thil Massurlio", known for producing life-giving sap.

The group decided to head to the pillar first, mostly because it was closer. We made our way without too much difficulty, thanks to Moe's flying carpets doing a lot of the heavy lifting (literally, in some cases) on the trip through the mountains. As we approached the pillar, we could see signs of Namegiver activity in the area (and by "we" I mostly mean Reyis and Moe), although we couldn't see them in the area... at least, not until we got to the pillar, at which point we could see that they were all over the area. One of them (Renve(?)'s assistant, we presume) had died of not having wings. Renve(?) had died from being frozen and burnt. Both looked a little chewed on. At this point someone (Reyis I think?) looked up and noticed some very large birds coming right towards us. Four of them. Well, I wasn't about to get caught with my pants down when there are birds about, so right off the bat I called upon Ferret spirits to grant us their reflexes, and then called upon my feline friends to take care of those pesky oversized cat snacks. I'm not getting (mostly) killed by birds again if I can help it.

Anyways, obviously I wasn't the only one dealing with the birds. Azurea threw a lot of things at a lot of other things, Reyis also threw some cats, and LaShana put a few holes in things too. Howler took a half-hearted bite at the birds, but I think he was unnerved by their size. Moe called up a great big dragon that looked about ready to barbecue some birds when the last of them (which seemed to be charged with lightning) fell to the ground after a solid blow from a Leopard Spirit and splattered so badly we couldn't even find much of it (I was able to find one feather, too badly scuffed up for the alchemists I think). And I think one of them Reyis sent off to go do whatever it is that improbably-heavy iron birds do. And unfortunately, it seems like we came to the wrong place. On the plus side, we got lots of useful alchemical materials from the bird's unusual feathers, and I got to find out what giant fire and snow birds taste like. Maybe one of these days I should get myself a pot of Grumbah so I can bring meat home with me and get it cooked by a proper chef some time, so that I can copy more interesting things with plant feast.

So, that was a bust (sort of. At least we found something). We headed back to Throal, dropped off Renve(?)'s journal at the Library, and went our way to the Servos. Travel in the Servos is always interesting, but most things know better than to pick a fight with dire wolfs and creatures that smell like Wyvern, so we made it to the sappy tree without any major difficulties, to find that Enver(?) was not around, although his journal was. It is usually fairly difficult to hide a Troll, but someone had managed to do just that, as there were signs of a fight in the area. Reyis got right down to tracking as usual (and also as usual Howler sort of sniffed around for a while and gave me a puzzled look... maybe I should ask Reyis for some advice on tracking so that I have a better idea of how to train Howler). He said he had seen signs of large T'Skrang, which means velos probably got their hands on the Troll, and in all likelihood had eaten him too, but you never know, and anyways we were hunting a book so we followed the tracks.

Well, we walked right into an ambush, and I was much surprised to see Ch'onk (the velos that had been recruited by pirates to help raid Moe's brother's wedding) leading it. I was not surprised to see that he had sprung his ambush too early, though. He has been seen a few times by other adepts, and I have to say, a tactical genius he is not. Moe and Reyis started shouting nonsense at him, and he shouted back. LaShana took a pot shot at them, and I called upon the Ferret Spirits again to grant us their reflexes, while Azurea held back for the moment (I imagine she didn't think it was a good idea to charge into the middle of several Velos, no matter how many pointy things she could throw).

With that, the fight was on, and the Velos attacked anyone who seemed to be hitting the hardest. I got surrounded by three of them at one point including Ch'onk (they were more coordinated than a usual creature would be, it was quite distressing, so maybe he's accomplished something after all), and Azurea faced a few of them all at once by herself as well. I asked Howler to help her, but unfortunately she caught a spear right through her rib cage that sent her off on a journey to Death's Sea. Ch'onk got away, but the rest all fell to our attacks before we decided it was best to tend to Azurea's wounds rather than worry about chasing a lone velos. The wounds were quite grievous, but with the application of some of the alchemical supplies we had brought, we were able to restore her to life, if not to consciousness. We had to camp out there, of course; three of us were Windlings, and Moe certainly wasn't going to carry a full-grown Troll by himself, but we did some looking around and came across what looked like a velos camp, with a wooden cage held shut by rope containing Enver(?). I should mention at this point that Ch'onk had been festooned with amber charms, which we found out were blood charms that Enver(?) had crafted in exchange for his life. He was glad to be free, and readily agreed to give Azurea the book as thanks (once she woke up), as well as offering us some further alchemical supplies if we wanted them.

I memorized the book on the way home. It didn't seem all that special to me, but I intend to make a copy for the Great Library so that maybe next time someone needs a copy, I get to stay home and have a nice, relaxing evening.

Oh, and I believe I have uncovered a previously-unknown property of some of the Thread Items I have in my possession. I have come across yet another related to the same Female Dwarf Noble, and I am beginning to suspect that Lady Hadritha Haytrish placed an enchantment that draws them to one another, as I have heard to be the case with some other Thread Items. In this case, a pair of boots that show the same style as my hat and amulet came into my possession when an auction house asked me to research them (along with a few other items), could not find a buyer for them, and offered them to me as payment in lieu of the money I was owed for my services, and now I am wondering what else might be coming my way at some point.

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 pm

From the writings of Moe'uhane, T'skrang Illusionist, 8th Circle, Boatman 2nd Circle, Messenger Rank 6

After my recent adventures on the river, in due to my extensive boat training under Captain Wesithral, I had been sitting in the Great Libray looking into the most precise and efficient way to make a portable doorway that could be loaded onto a launch. In the midst of my research Azurea made her way into the library and recognizing a number of us shouted "Friends, I need a prick!" I quickly looked around, unsure if this was a trollish mating ritual or not. She gathered Reyis, Zivilyn, and myself to have us help look for information about the Pryck family and an ancient manuscript about the art of massage called the 'Tome of Delightful Pricks'. Reyis and Zivilyn worked their magic finding a great deal about the tome, and the two Pryck families that may have it; one Elf named Renve Pryck and a troll named Enver Pryck. Both were alchemists of some renown, and both had referenced the Tome in their journals in the past year. Some further investigation allowed us learn that both had recently set out on expeditions . . . in opposite directions, of course.

Enver had gone to the Servos to investigate the sap of the Serela thil Massurlio, massive Tree not too far into the Servos jungle renown for the sticky sap that seeped from it's large trunk. Renve on the other hand had gone to investigate the mineral deposits of Blakthak Muk, a trollish name for he large, bulbous, violet hued rock formation that translated as The Purple Pillar. We started with the closest location, and made our way to Blakthak Muk, approximately four days travel into the Throalic Mountains. As the outcropping came into view, I detected signs of someone having collected samples and clumsily dropping some of their sample jars. We continued towards the monolithic formation, and noticed two bodies by the base of the pillar, a human and an elf. Renve and her assistant apparently. One had apparently fallen from the pillar, while the other had apparently been burned and frozen? As we analyzed the scene we noticed a group of large birds overhead, Zivilyn deduced that one of them appeared to be cold based, and was a likely culprit in the fate of our alchemist duo.

A screech was heard above and we quickly reacted knowing what was coming. I began to tie threads, as did Reyis, Zivilyn invoked a Ferret to assist us all, and everyone else awaited the birds descent. As they grew closer we could make out more of them, they were not all the same, but a mix of various elements. The one shrouded in electricity dove onto Azurea, she rolled out of the way only to be caught by the other claw as she attempted to change direction. In response LaShana gave into Whispers and lodged a small arrow in the birds back, causing lightning to arc back to hit her. After revealing herself, the ice shrouded bird dove onto Lashana while wrapping the area in a swirling cloud of snow and sleet. With LaShana knocked to the ground, it began to regain a bit of altitude. Zivilyn set cats and dogs at the thunderbird, though both missed. I maintained my threadweaving while drawing the ire of the firebird. It expected more reaction I assume as the claws snapped to either side of me while I concentrated. Reyis then threw more cats at the poor birds, knocking the firebird and the snowbird from the air, both crashing into the ground with a loud thud. This gave Azurea the chance to pin it to the ground while the ironbird tried to find Reyis's small body. As we turned to assess the firebird, the shadowy daggers melted away and the bird convulsed a last twitch. Her attention turned to the prone snowbird, who received the same treatment. This drew the ire of the thunderbird, as it clawed into Azurea and flew into the air. This allowed me to unleash my own shadowy creation to assist her, the form of a hulking shadow dragon appeared behind the bird as it squawked with a start. The ironbird continued to flail it's claws at Reyis as he began to cast his spell. It quickly became calm and ceased it's flailing. Not wanting to experience the dive of another large predator, Zivilyn launched a leopard at the ascending thunderbird, wrapping it's wings around it's body as it crashed to the ground. The impact was felt all around, and accompanied by a zapping and poof sound and the bird was no more. The ironbird was passive and flew off. We examined the area more closely and found evidence of this truly being Renve, but found not trace of the Tome. Unfortunate, but expected. No good adventure is solved so easily, atleast not one that you'd be reading now.

We headed to the Servos Jungle, by way of Throal and then Irondelve, we quickly found the Serela thil Massurlio but no Prycks. Some searching around turned up a journal penned by Enver, and some large tracks that looked vaguely T'srkang. Velos. Reyis tracked them down, and I changed tactics to shroud us in a cloak. As we crept forward, closing in upon our quarry, our quarry was closing in upon us. Velos reacted to the passing of Howler and Fluffy and we quickly reacted to them. Five of them appeared through the bushes, and one appeared to be very familiar, though now wearing a large headdress and some crystals. Ch'onk! The name echoed out in his surprise. I attempted to de-escalate the situation, with outstreched and welcoming arms I replied with my best "Ch'onk". I'm not certain, but I don't think it was received as an offer of parlay. Things descended quickly from there. LaShana let loose arrows into the closest Velos and retreated up onto a rock. She caused it to flinch and push it's smaller companion forward. Reyis set leopards upon two velos, knocking down Ch'onk, while the other remained upright. Two had descended upon me, so I moved into a defensive posture and created phantom clones of myself. However, before I could draw their full attention, a large shadowy shape vaulted over their companions with slivers of darkness streaking out and incapacitating one of them. This drew the attention of the other Velos, slithering in behind her and perforating a vital organ with his spear, causing her to double over in pain. Zivilyn sent leopards crashing into the two nearest velos, deep gashes appeared upon their body, but still they remained upright, he then joined LaShana in her high vantage point. Tails provide a great deal of stability, I must invest in learning to better use my own to such expertise. These incessant cats drew the attention of the velos and clambered up the rockface with a predatory grace and launched spears at Zivilyn. LaShana quickly fired upon a velos and moved to safety, quickly followed by Zivilyn. A deep scream of pain drew our attention, as a velos buried a spear into a prone Azurea, as the small crystal on her chest shattered, we knew we needed to hurry and check on her. I stepped forward engulfing one of the Velos in flame and he crumpled. Reyis sent forth the leopards once again, downing another velos, while Fluffy tore into the last velos other than Ch'onk. Who spurt forth an alarmed "Ch'onk" and began to flee.

We didn't give chase, we had more important things to attend to. We searched Azurea and used her healing aids then attempted to wake her, but we still felt no sense of life. I applied the Last Chance Salve and we waited. A coughing and a sputtering followed by a loud snore. She was alive, but badly beaten, she would need a nights rest. We searched the area and came across the velos camp. We found Enver in a wicker cage, and the remains of his assistants. He explained that Ch'onk had imprisoned him to make blood charms from the amber they collected from the tree. When we inquired about the Tome he exclaimed that it was ours and handed it over. The next morning we returned to Irondelve, we had heard there was an exquisite spa there that would aid in the recover process for Azurea. She scowled when we mockingly suggested she should look into it.

Xzandrate

Messenger Report

Post by Xzandrate » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 pm

**As the magic flows across the page the words come into view**

Alchemist owner of Irondelve spa sought out Throalic alchemists to assist in expansion of knowledge and business. Throalic alchemists were off on expeditions of more danger than anticipated.

Faction: Servos Velos
Brief: While not normally well organized or threatening, recent interactions with Namegivers have caused them to adapt new behaviors.
Notable Actors:
Ch'onk, Velos leader

After Action Report: Throalic academics have begun to venture forth more boldly, believing that with a number of returning adventurers that the dangers are overstated. In this situation two such alchemic academics set out into Throalic Mountains and Servos Jungle with minimal to no security escort. Both met with tragic results. Throalic Mountain expedition was eliminated, however notes were retrieved. Servos expedition was captured, while assistants were cannibalized by velos, the alchemist was held hostage to create blood charms to the apparent velos leader.

Must attempt to track and evaluate velos leader Ch'onk. Additionally suggest that the loss of academics be publicized more widely to help bring academic core back into line.

Reporting Senior Agent: Bearded Dragon

**The words vanish as the magic dissipates**

Lashana

Post by Lashana » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:31 pm

So, I was hanging with my bestie and she said she had to go visit her Aunt Boogaloo. Well, this interested/intrigued me on two fronts. One it was one of Azureas mysterious relatives and two she has such a COOL name how could I not meet her? Well, we did in fact go and meet her and she was AWESOME. She had like people all around her who like answered to her beck and call, even someone who HAD to rub her feet when she asked. And she just randomly got to choose someone from the crowd. *Thank the passions it wasn’t me!* I think she might have thought my nimbly bimbly fingers were too small to apply enough pressure.
Well, while we there she was going on about some book of delightful pricks (*teehee* I still can’t help but laugh) that would help my bestie in her spa. So of course we had to find it. But we needed help kind of figuring out where it might be and stuff. So we went where you go when you have questions about books, a library. But not just ANY library, THE library, the GREAT library in Throal. And Azurea like just bursts in and shouts out “I need a Prick!” And I lost it, I mean that’s funny.
After she located someone to help her, and luckily it was good people. Our people! Moe, Reyis and Zivilyn were there and helped up do the research to find the book Azurea was looking for. And there were a lot of jokes, Moe said something funny about troll mating rituals and I was sent off on another round of rolling on the floor giggles.
The book people found two leads for us to follow, weirdly both of them had the word Pryck in their names (teehee) and those leads went (of course) in separate directions. One was an alchemist troll Enver named last known to be heading to some tall tree for a life giving sap. (more giggles) The other, an elf Renve, went up into the Throalic Mountains looking for a large purple pillar (mwahaha) with a big bulge on the end…..called Blakthak Muk. We went for the closest one first, Blakthak Muk.
As it came into view, Moe detected evidence that someone had recently been collecting samples as he started picking up empty jars. When we got to the bottom of the pillar there were two bodies there, one human and an elf. Renve we assumed, and maybe an assistant. Upon examination we discovered one of them had fallen from the top of the pillar and the other was both burned and frozen to death….is that possible? As the bodies were being examined a couple of really big birds approached. Zivilyn was able to tell one of them was like a cold bird - I guess the swirling blizzard might have had something to do with it. The birds screeched in warming as they approached and we were all able to kind of sort of prepare.
Whispers enveloped me in its warmth and we prepared. When one got close enough we loosed an arrow right into the back of a bird as the one shrouded in electricity tried to attack my bestie. Azurea managed to avoid the first claw but the other snapped at her and caught her. The arrow I hit it with seemed to release an arc of electricity that swooped back and hit me. That was rather unpleasant. All I know is that very quickly we were enveloped in a blizzard and I was pretty much blinded. And there were flying cats and ferrets. Reyis managed to calm one of them and the other three sadly had to be taken down. But we did get some REALLY pretty feathers from them, like REALLY REALLY pretty. And at some point there was a dragon, and I wasn’t sure if the dragon was on OUR side or THEIR side but it was apparently called by Moe so I’m glad I didn’t let Whispers convince me I should shoot it. Phew… ;)
After we figured out that was the wrong place we went back to Throal, regrouped (dropped off the first journal) and then headed into the Servos to the other place. So we spent time searching through the Servos and luckily none of the other dangers in there attacked us. I couldn’t tell you made them stay away, but stay away they did. And we somehow managed to find what we were looking for by way of some REALLY big T’Skrang (like dinosaur size) and a “Ch’onk”.
I had not met this “Ch’onk” before coming upon him and his pet T’Skrang in the jungle. He shouted something at us, and someone shouted the same thing at him. The pet T’Skrang looked hostile so I got into a good position to shoot and opened fire. No point in words...they just get in the way really. That seemed to free everything up and all hell broke loose. Unfortunately towards the end of battle my bestie found herself surrounded on all sides and took a very nasty strike that brought her down. I tried to get to her to help as quickly as possible but we had to take out the rest of the mean dinosaurs. Ch’onk just ran away at the end and we saw to Azurea’s wounds instead of giving chase. We managed to find Enver locked in a cage and his journal while Azurea slept it off and recovered a bit. Apparently Ch’onk had kept him locked up to have him make blood charms from the amber of the tree. He gave us the book in thanks.