AAR: [4M] Dyre Straits (2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Lashana
Re: AAR: [4M] Dyre Straits (2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT)

Post by Lashana » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:40 am

So I got to go on another of these animal retrieval adventures. My stable is full so I am just along for the ride. I am curious as these Dyre (NOT dire beasts) arel supposed to be huge, and I heard tell from one of my party members that they can be trained as a mount. I'd be like a flea on one of those behemoths. Word is there is a a herd of these things being guarded by herders in Synevir, so a group of us are getting together to go and gawk at them.
We were a pretty varied group, kind of sounded like a joke. A thief, an illusionist a warrier and a calvaryman walk into a town. :D And we went from the smallest to the biggest, two like me (windlings) and the biggest was an obsidiman.
It was kind of nice traveling to Synevir because there was a clear road and the route was easy and we somehow didn't "find" any trouble. Weird right?!?!?!
Well, once we were in town we looked up our contact/friend person..Lonesome Keryn to ask about the big old beasts and found out that they have started to go missing while they have been out grazing. When we asked how we could find the herd, they gave us a sack of crap..."dung" to be official about it and said we could use it to sniff them out. Luckily, "dung" smells better (relatively speaking) as it dries. Even with that to help us it takes us several days to find them.
Now, after a couple of days of searching we stumb;e acrpss a pretty sad sight. Just a long string of these poor things dead, not eaten they don't look like, just dead. We also see a couple up ahead that look to be wounded and they are being attacked by some jacked up looking bird things.
Elisen being, you know, Elisen charges in there to the defense of the Dyre and and they start attacking him (pretty brutally). And that is when we see that these bird things have breath that is MUCH worse than their bite, because Elisen goes down hard. And he looks pretty helpless. Killian then goes up to help. We were picking those bird things off pretty easy when I happened to notice the CUTEST darn thing. One of those calf thingies was like kissing or licking Elisen. I couldn't believe it. It must have recognized that Elisen was there trying to help it. This just made me want to save it's life even more.
Dale is super effective in combat, he does these bolts of lightening things, pretty awesome. But ummmm, that seemed to have put him in the crosshairs cuz before I knew it one of those bird things was on him and brreathing that orange flare of death. Oopps. Luckily everyone managed to make it out with only slight injuries and some paralysis that wore off.
That's when I saw that the "Dyre" calf was not actually a dyre, and wasn't actually licking but was CHEWING on Elisen, again Oops. My bad. But no harm no foul. We did discover they have way more teeth than they should have. And that is when it was discovered one of them was actually a Genhis.
We are able to trace the damage back to a homestead, its really well locked up. Everything has locks on it, not great locks, but locks non-the-less. In the barn we found a bunch of the toothy Dyre, someone is CLEARLY doing some creepy experiments her. The other building seems to be the mating building, or at least thats what I am told. The house itself is empty but only JUST recently abandoned.
We do find a journal and decide to take that and a shirt to try to continue to track the person who's been doing this horrendous work, a B. Bonecall. He's apparently part of something called "The Scourge", like come on. First, be orginal with your name. And second, what other purpose could you be breeding these for then some really BAD reason.
We were alerted that there was movement by really big beasts approaching through the trees so we tried to move away. But they kept coming and they looked angry. Elisen tried to calm the beasts and managed to make one of them a "friend". But the other three kept approaching. Dale tried immediately to approach and tell them he meant no harm but they DID NOT seem to like that and attacked him almost immediately. I was trying to tell him to drop the book but I think he was SO SHOCKED at being attacked by these things when he was extending his hand in friendship.
We managed to only knockout 3 of them, but one of them is unfortunate enough to have lost their live. We tried very hard to not kill them but it was an untimely blow. Killian was in very bad shape and the rest of us looked pretty beat up as well.
Well, once we put ourselves back together we tried to track the rest of the dyre herd and ACTUALLY managed to locate them this time. They were in a weird fort of trees that were knocked down and they were being guarded BY more of the Tavithans. Elisen managed to woo one of the beasties and it trailed behind him all the way back to Synevir.
We were careful to fill Lonesome Keryn in on the whole situation and where the Dyres were. Sadly we weren't able to keep the journal since the Tavithans took and destroyed the journal.

sigfriedmcwild

Re: AAR: [4M] Dyre Straits (2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT)

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:38 pm

From the Songs of Passion by Elisen of clan Adorjan, Haressa-tis

When Elisen sought a new friend to travel the world with
A new companion to build a life on
And the adepts joined for it seemed a lark
And the adepts were Dale of the magic lies
And the adepts were Killian the floating rock
And the adepts were Redsun of the seeking bolt
And the adepts were LaShana of the stealthy ways
And the adepts rode out to adventure

And the journey took them to Synevir
Synevir where the dyre herds graze the plains