AAR: [3H] Up Upandal! (7/3/2020 at 20:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

verse86
Re: AAR: [3H] Up Upandal! (7/3/2020 at 20:00 GMT)

Post by verse86 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:35 am

What does this all mean?
A strange seer told me to seek my destiny in Clear Creek Crossing. This would not be that strange if it were not the fourth time within a week.
I have assembled a group of adepts to accompany on my "quest" including Vralino and A'horangi.
Dalloran was nowhere in sight when arrived. That is odd for her.
Strorbrout tells me she has been mumbling about towers and shirking her duties.
Dalloren looks horrible. She is unkempt and barely able to speak. All I can get from her is there is a tower that must be saved. We found a map that marks the tower. We will set out tomorrow.
Around ten days into our journey we were stopped by a group of adepts. They say that the tower is dangerous and we can not continue. Unfortunately, that was not an option for us.
Combat ensued. I lost Torgun and nearly everyone else. All because of me. We've come too far to turn back now.
We were ambushed the next night. Vralino nearly died. A'horangi, thank god for her clear-headedness, negotiated our surrender.
Luck was on our side and they accepted. Our captors marched us back to within a two days walk of Clear Creek Crossing.
Upon our unceremonious return, I was informed that Dalloren's condition had worsened to the point she would no longer eat. She passsed some days before our return.
A'horangi later informed me she was able to speak their language, Theran I believe, and was able to piece together their plan. The tower is a shrine to Upandal that they are siphoning power from. They speak of roots having nearly covered the tower.
This can not stand. Yet what can I do? Do I risk my companions' lives again?

predajey

Post by predajey » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:51 am

The following is a recollection from Vralino Hammer-Shield, a 15 year old Ork girl with limited exposure to society. The text remains unaltered to maintain its authenticity (Certain terms and names written wrong to keep in character). It is written in Or'zet.

Thorkell's heading to Clear Creek Crossing today. I'm gonna join him. Seems like a decent place to take a vacation from all the adventuring and dangers from the past month. The weather is perfect, too! It's gonna be a blast.

We show up to Clear Creek and are greeted with the usual greeting ritual. These guys are more likely horrors than we are. They can barely perform their rituals, but at least they aren't hostile. I became great friends with their Corporal. I probably should have gotten his name. I told him to look me up if he ever found himself in Throal. However, the angry dwarf lady is not around. Thorkell went looking for her in her house, but she didn't answer when he knocked. I spoke with Strorbrout to find out that she was in there. Since Thorkell couldn't get her to answer, I knocked down the door and we found her catatonic (I learned that word when I trained as a physician) in the dark. Apparently she knew Thorkell was coming, too. She heralded him as a if he were a savior and pointed us towards a tower to the east on the other side of the mountains. Roadtrip!

So we came across some bandits or some such. They weren't really good. Thorkell and Rangi saw them long before we got to them. They even saw the ones hiding off the side of the road. Needless to say, there was a fight. Torgun took an arrow in the back and died. That's the dangers of going out on adventures. Elizen got injured. Rangi did a pretty decent amount of damage as he normally does. Not sure what Thorkell was doing. Maybe he was hiding? He didn't get attacked once, but that's fine. As long as he's safe, I've done my job. I was hurting so we took some time to patch ourselves. I even got to see a professional physician work! Who knew that Rangi was a physician? He patched up Elizen and me, but Elizen couldn't seem to recover from their wounds. We ended up spending a night before continuing to the tower, which Elizen spotted when they flew above the trees. We traveled for a day before spending another night camping.

Fucking COWARDS!!! God damn evil shitheads! Who the hell attacks a woman when she's sleeping!?! They have no honor at all! Fight the goddamn troll! He was awake and he's a he! I got another fucking arrow stuck in me. I think it punctured a lung or something! They made the mistake of leaving me alive! When I heal up, I'm coming back to destroy every last one of them! I'll remove their testicles and hang them off my belt! Then I'll stab them in the fucking throat!

Okay, I might have been a bit angry but after a little bit of time, some sparring with the Corporal of the Guard, and some spear throwing practice, things are better. I'm healing up nicely. No one else died, thankfully. Thorkell didn't see an ounce of pain or blood, so that's a good thing. Rangi came out in pretty good shape, too. Apparently, we were fighting some cult trying to bury a shrine to Upandal with vines and use the power for something else. Even in defeat, Rangi's getting information on the enemy. If I ever see another of their stupid medallions, there will be no mercy.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:55 pm

From the Songs of Passion by Elisen of clan Adorjan, Haressa-tis

When Thorkell received omens of his future
And the adepts joined for it was a worthy cause
And the adepts were Thorkell father of weapons
And the adepts were Vralino of the stabbing spear
And the adepts were Torgun of the flashing axe
And the adepts were A'horangi of the wise mind and strong fist
And the adepts were Elisen rider in the silent wind
And the adepts rode to seek out destiny

And the journey took them to Clearcreek Crossing
Clearcreek Crossing marked by portents