AAR: [3M] Bring Out Your Dead (2020-06-26 @ 23:59 GM)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Reyntrannin
AAR: [3M] Bring Out Your Dead (2020-06-26 @ 23:59 GM)

Post by Reyntrannin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:56 am

LFG: Bring Out Your Dead
Time: 2020-06-26 at 23:59 GMT
GM: ReynTrannin
Circle: ECR 3
Difficulty: Medium

Rumor: Baronet Kyle Christopher is looking for a few willing souls to help reclaim his family's fortune... from a crypt closed before the Scourge.

Offered Reward: TBD

Note: Due to the nature of this request, the selected group would be well advised to have some ability to deal with traps, hidden dangers, and locked portals. Succes can be achieved without these, but this is an old school dungeon crawl.

----------------------------------------------------------

AAR:

Player Rewards:
A'horangi: 1,400 LP, 225 SP, 3 TIPs, 2x Booster Potions
Sek'thi: 1400 Legend, 275 SP, 3 TIP's
Thorkell Gulbrandsen: 1400 Legend, 275 SP, 3 TIP's
Vralino Hammer-Shield: 1400 Legend, 275 SP, 3 TIP's

GM Reward:
Langren Vogel: 4000 LP, 475 Sp, 3 TIP's

Downtime Actions Available:
A'Horangi: Research 1/16 (+3 for 20sp)
A'Horangi: Item History 1/16
Thorkell: [Forge Weapon] (talent) [10, 14 with karma] (rank 3)
Thorkell: [Craftsman] (talent) [8, 16 with karma] (rank 1) note: this also allows [Craft Weapon] and [Craft Armor].
Thorkell: [Research] (skill) [10] (rank 3)
Last edited by Reyntrannin on Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bronzemountain

Re: LFG: [3M] Bring Out Your Dead (2020-06-26 @ 21:00 GM)

Post by bronzemountain » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:01 am

Name: A'horangi Ha'hana Syrtis
ECR: 3
Discipline: Monk
Quote/Unique: "Respectfully, I must now punch you."
Notable Abilities: Very polite dinosaur, who can detect (and potentially disarm) traps.
Downtime: Research 1/16 (+3 for 20sp), Item History 1/16
Last Game Played: 2020-06-22 (Axe him no Questions)
This is a secondary character. Please prioritize primaries.

predajey

Post by predajey » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:16 am

Name: Vralino Hammer-Shield
ronindude.deviantart.com
Date of Last Game Played:June 23
ECR: 2
Discipline: Sword Master
Quote: "I battle, I banter, and I bodyguard...barely."
Last edited by predajey on Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

verse86

Post by verse86 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:37 pm

Name: Thorkell Gulbrandsen
Date of Last Game Played: 6/23/2020
Circle: 2
Discipline: Weaponsmith
Unique: kinda tanky troll. Brings the downtime activities. Now with Disarm Trap and Awareness.
Downtime:
Forge Weapon: [10+4] (r3)
Craftsman (includes weapons, armor, and mundane items): [9+4+4] (r2)
Item History: [9+4] (r2)
Research: [10] (r3)

Astrylian

Re: LFG: [3M] Bring Out Your Dead (2020-06-26 @ 23:59 GM)

Post by Astrylian » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:39 am

Name: Sek'thi
Date of Last Game Played: June 13th
Circle: 2
Discipline: Thief
Unique: Thievery! Stabbing! Sensing Danger! Stealthing! Picking Pockets! Picking Locks! Did I mention Stabbing?
Downtime: None

Astrylian

Post by Astrylian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:43 am

AAR:

Sek'thi: 1400 Legend, 275 SP, 3 TIP's
(With AAR: 1470 Legend, 343s8c)

This was fun. I got to really thrive as a Thief; I'm really coming in to my own here!

First, there were traps. SOoooo many traps. And I found them all. I found SO many traps. My benefit to the group: tremendous.

Second, loot! I found us so much loot! Swords, a Mace, you name it!

And then, when we found the target artifact, that we were sent there specifically to find, in the hands of a very angry Cadaver Man? Did I leave the killing up to the Sword Master, the Weaponsmith, or the Monk? NO! Of course not! Before anyone even had a chance to react... SLICE! STABKICK! Down he went! Like a sack of (centuries-old) bones. HAH!

Anyway, we headed back home with our loot, and claimed our bounty (with bonuses!). I had a good drink that night, proud of the excellent thievery that I had done.

verse86

Post by verse86 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:59 am

Journal Entry:
Baronet Kyle Christopher has tasked us with retrieving family heirlooms from his family’s tomb.
I have never seen so many traps in my life. It felt like bolts were flying by our heads every other step we took. We found quite an elaborate trap that to the best of my understanding would have locked us in and flooded our room. We were able to disable it and find the sarcophagi. The swords before their tombs were magnificent, still shining just as brightly as the day it was placed. Unfortunately it was more form than function. The first tomb had a hammer with text I couldn’t read. Oh, to know more of its history. Unfortunately, the noble’s guards did not take kindly to us taking it. Ghouls hurt. We found the specific book we were looking for in the next tomb. Our thief seemed done with the whole ordeal and decided to dispatch the noble in six seconds of whirling blades. Sadly Baronet Kyle Christopher did not know what the hammer said either. Maybe some day.

bronzemountain

Field Notes of A'horangi Ha'hana Syrtis, Vol. 1

Post by bronzemountain » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:31 am

Entry 5.

Aristocrat Kyle Christopher wishes to recover items from family crypt. Is this a gambit, tomb robbery by proxy? Story seems to check out. I accompany Sek'thi, my fellow of the Syrtis Aropagoi, as well as new companions: Vralino Hammer-Shield (Ork Spearmaster) and Thorkell Gulbrandsen (Troll Weaponsmith).

Much effort at intrusion, threat detection, penetration. The crypt abounds with traps. Arrows fall from ceiling, poisoned webs, iron bars to trap the unwary, rooms that fill with water. Pits and pendulums. Sek'thi proves masterful in his art. He triggers each trap precisely, and as the trap springs, dives neatly to one side. Thus each trap is made obvious, and time is not wasted in the disarming. Brilliant, really.

The catacombs are filled with rotting relics, including servants of those interred. These continue to serve, even in death, rising as fragile ghouls and skeletal dogs. Their master has the qualities of a cadaver man but is swiftly dispatched, again by Sek'thi, who dispatches the mummy in a handful of seconds even as we all gag on still, stale, breathless air.

We recover, for our client, the book he most wanted (clearly magical, glowing, secrets of undeath and/or life?). Also, a coffer with some jewelry, a scepter with an iron head engraved in an unknown language, two decorative peaceblades (swords intended for peace; curious custom).

He is grateful. I continue to believe that, while he is an aristocrat, he might not precisely be noble. Will watch.

predajey

Post by predajey » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:40 am

The following is a recollection from Vralino Hammer-Shield, a 15 year old Ork girl with limited exposure to society. The text remains unaltered to maintain its authenticity (Certain terms and names written wrong to keep in character). It is written in Or'zet.

So another job came up. A bit of toom raiding for some wealthy title holder or some such. I don't think we'll come across anything challenging, but last time I said that, I passed out from the fight. Plus, Thorkell is going! If only Therbis was there, then we'd have our little trio together! But it is toom raiding, so maybe he was scared out of this one? We're going out with a thief and a monk, and payday is always worth it!

So things didn't go the way I thought they would. I haven't been in a lot of tooms, but I didn't think there would be so many traps. Between the traps and the stench, why would anyone want to do this!?! I guess that's why we were hired. I haven't seen anyone find traps so well. Our thief, Sek'thi found so many of them! His technique was a little strange, though. I always thought finding traps would mean using your eyes, not your speed. He triggered a lot of them and never got hit, so he probably knows more about them than I ever will. Maybe he saw them before he triggered them? Duoquirai could learn a thing or two from him.

Combat was a little scarce, as I thought it would be. A couple skeleton dogs, a few giant spiders (I think they were called Jehuthra?) and about half a dozen living corpses. I still seem to be the weak link in the marching order. I think Sek'thi is secretly an assassin. I would ask him about it, but then he'd have to kill me. He could take out anything in less than 6 seconds! And Rangi? I thought monks were supposed to be pacifists. He certainly passed a fist through a few things. Something about well controlled body damage? It wasn't always so well controlled, but damn, was it effective! It's also good to see that Thorkell has bounced back from his fighter's rut. I never thought so much body juice could splatter out of a corpse or insect, although he did charge down a hallway and trap himself with one of the skeleton dogs.

Then there was the stupid trap breaking. I don't know how many traps were actually broken, but I don't think anyone was actually hit by any of them. There was one that sprayed out webbing. I ended up getting my long spear stuck in it, but Thorkell said it burned easily, so I lit it on fire. Aside from that and finding two hidden doors, I didn't really do a lot on this job. I'll just have to train harder. I didn't think taking on these jobs would be so difficult. Jarock always spoke about them as if he were a champion. His daughter should be just as good at them!

Anyways, we ended up finding two swords, a mace, a box of jewlery, and a mummy, along with the book we were hired to find. I wonder what's in the book? I probably couldn't read it anyway. I doubt many people with a fancy title even speak Or'zet, so writing is probably something none of them can do. Why was I taught Or'zet instead of Throalic!?!
Last edited by predajey on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astrylian

Re: Field Notes of A'horangi Ha'hana Syrtis, Vol. 1

Post by Astrylian » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:00 pm

bronzemountain wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:31 am
Sek'thi proves masterful in his art. He triggers each trap precisely, and as the trap springs, dives neatly to one side. Thus each trap is made obvious, and time is not wasted in the disarming. Brilliant, really.
🤣🤣🤣