AAR: [3M] In the Bones of a Giant (2020-5-29) (21:00 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

iceface9
AAR: [3M] In the Bones of a Giant (2020-5-29) (21:00 GMT)

Post by iceface9 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:15 pm

LFG: In the Bones of a Giant
Time: 2020-5-27 01:00 GMT
GM: Iceface99
Circle: 3
Difficulty: Medium
Players 4-5

Rumor: Icarus Wolf-swift has heard rumors from his sister Alaya of an old abandoned Theran Ship yard that explorers claim is housing a settlement inside the wreckage of a large Theran airship. He is hoping to find a group of 4-5 adepts to aid him in scouting out the suggested area of the ruins and confirming if it does or does not contain The settlement. In hopes they can make an arrangement for airship parts.

Note: This adventure starts at 5pm EST
Last edited by iceface9 on Sat May 30, 2020 1:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

Icarus-Wolfswift

Re: LFG: [3M] In the Bones of a Giant (2020-5-27) (01:00 GMT)

Post by Icarus-Wolfswift » Sun May 24, 2020 5:38 pm

Name: Icarus Wolf-Swift
Date of Last Game Played: 5-24-2020
Circle:3
Discipline: Air Sailor
Unique: Navigation, Climbing kit, Booster potion x2, Map making, Close combat, haggle
Quote: No man left behind and no idea what lies ahead.

Brian L

Re: LFG: [3M] In the Bones of a Giant (2020-5-29) (21:00 GMT)

Post by Brian L » Mon May 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Name: Reyis Poriv
Date of Last Game Played: May 20
Discipline: Shaman
Unique: Spells-Buffs to Stealth and Combat.
Downtime: Animal Training (3) Step 9

ottdmk

Post by ottdmk » Wed May 27, 2020 12:01 am

Name: Darius Crawford
Last played: 2020-05-25
ECR: 2 (Circle 2, 840 LP)
Discipline: Archer
Quote/Unique: Hawk Hatchet, Bolas & Spears.
Notable Abilities: Call Missile
Downtime: None
NOTE: SECONDARY CHARACTER

Reyntrannin

Post by Reyntrannin » Wed May 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Name: Langren
Last played: 5/5/2020
ECR: 3
Discipline: Shaman
Quote/Unique: This land is a wonder, simply waiting for us to embrace its lessons.
Notable Abilities: Support and offensive magics, healing, good with animals
Downtime: Animal Training skill (10)

MadJaymilton

Post by MadJaymilton » Thu May 28, 2020 12:32 am

Name: Torgun
Date of Last Game Played: 5/24/20
ECR: 3
Discipline: Swordmaster
Unique: Striking foes, dodging attacks, and looking good while doing it.
Downtime: None.

iceface9

Re: AAR: [3M] In the Bones of a Giant (2020-5-29) (21:00 GMT)

Post by iceface9 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:44 am

Name of Mission: In the Bones of a Giant
Time: 2020-5-27 10:00 GMT
GM: Iceface9
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards: 1,400LP, 275SP, 3TiP's
Character Name:
Langren: 1400LP, 275SP, 3TiP's
Darius: 1400LP, 275SP, 3TiP's
Icarus: 1400LP, 275SP, 3TiP's
Reyis: 1,400LP, 275SP, 3TiP's

Journal Rewards: 70LP, 68SP, 8CP

GM Reward: 1,400LP, 275 SP, 3TiP's Rose

Downtime Actions Available:
Character Name:
Reyis Animal Training (3) Step 9
Langren: Animal Training skill (10)

Researchers may spend 20 Silver for +3 Steps (the Haggle discount may lower this cost)

Further Information:
Arcadia Fallen Theran Airship with a settlement named Fernsworth Village in hex 42.06

ottdmk

Re: AAR: [3M] In the Bones of a Giant (2020-5-29) (21:00 GMT)

Post by ottdmk » Sat May 30, 2020 2:03 am

Darius Crawford writes:

So, I ended up being asked by Icarus to help him out with something. He's an Air Sailor, so of course he's kinda obsessed with getting the airships running again. He had been asked by the Aeronautical Society (I think? I'm lousy with names) to go check out this rumour of a community that had supposedly sprung up in the ruins of a downed airship.

On the way out, we ran into some bandits. One of them tagged me pretty good, but we ended them fairly surely. Icarus and I were joined by a couple of Shamen, Reyis and Langren. I find I like having spellcasters along to help.

Sure enough, we found the community, in the ruins of a ship called the Arcadia. The community itself is called Fernsworth Village. Well, their leader was open to coming back to Throal to discuss trading old airship parts. Icarus was really excited. First though, we had to do the Village a favour: Clear out some bandits. Well, I have no problem with clearing out bandits. So off we went.

Lately, the bandits had been raiding a particular farm, and the leadership felt sure they'd try it one more time. So, off we went. Not a bad location! We learned from the farmer which way the bandits usually came, and set up to await their arrival. (They liked twilight. Good tactics.) Icarus and I took some high ground favoured by the bandit archers.

To my surprise, when we finally attacked them, these guys were good enough I think they were Archers! Quite a little fight ensued. My basic strategy is holding up: ruing a day with a bola (preferably the larger troll variety) and then follow up with the new hawk hatchet. I need more of those. Gonna make at least one more hawk hatchet and one more troll bola.

We took them out fairly convincingly. Reyis cast one spell, man, it just destroyed the guy. Absolutely destroyed him. Ouch. After it was all over, we headed back to Fernsworth, collected our traveling companion, and went back to Throal.

Icarus-Wolfswift

In the Bones of a Giant

Post by Icarus-Wolfswift » Sat May 30, 2020 3:43 am

It was early morning and I had just finished eating breakfast, and was laying in my Hammock watching the clouds float on over head. Then above me swirled a hawk that made its way down and perched itself right next to me on the tree branch. I could see the foot of the hawk was holding a message. grabbing it and giving the hawk a nice pat on the head before it promptly flew off, I proceeded to read the contents of the letter. a seal of the Throalic Aeronautic club bond it and I already knew who it was from, the only person at the Aero club that knows me is my Twin sister Alaya Wolf-Swift. However very fitting for her to send a messenger hawk instead of come herself, she hasn't left Throal even after the gates opened. The note said to meet her at her work and bring a couple adventurers because she had a job for me. Never needed a reason to visit my only sister but a job is a pretty good one. I sent a message to Reyis, Darious, and Langren asking them for their aid on this job.

Once reaching Throal and finding my way to the Aero Club I found my fellow adventurers and friends standing and conversing outside the club. Entering inside the club I couldn't help but always look up, the ceiling of the main entrance lobby is made to look like a realistic sky. My father would always bring me here as a child, I wanted so bad when I grew up to work at the Aero club and be a director. However my sister would actually be the one that qualified for the group. I guess I am not cut out for the desk sailors. My sister notices us and comes to give me a hug asking me how I have been and introducing herself to the rest of the group. She shows us into her office and starts to inform us on the job. Rumors of a settlement that is built in a pre-scourge Theran airship that crashed 400 years ago. Her hope is to negotiate with the people that live there for a trade deal so the Aero club might acquire some Air ship parts and material. I told her it was a done deal and we headed off.

A day on the road and we ran into a group of some lowly bandits, I feel like not only in fact but in fiction they were just a foot note on this journal. after travelling the rest of the way to the area at coordinates 42.06 we found the place Alaya told us about. A very large theran Air Galley had crashed in a valley. inside of the hull of the ship through parts were it had been broken, you could see that there was building inside it and smoke from chimneys coming through parts of the ship hull. I was taken back for a moment upon coming over the hills to see this, never in my whole life had I seen an Air ship; stories maybe from my father before he passed two years ago but never something like this. Given it was crashed and on top of that 400 years old but it was a marvelous sight. surrounding the ship was small farms with live stock and crops. entering through what must have been then gate of the town we found a very lived in community that had a townhouse, markets, housing, temple to Chorrolis, and most important to me was the Tavern.

After many days on the road I had one thing on my mind, a hot meal, some cold wine, and a warm bed. Chatting with the Tavern keep he informed us that the city was named Fernsworth, upon asking about the Airship that housed the city he told me it was named Arcadia and if I came at it from the otherside I would read that on the ship nameplate. They however choose to call the city Fernsworth to distance themselves from Thera, seeing how Fernsworth is a multi-racial community that swings more to humans but is not exclusive. It was founded by some settlers that thought it was a good defensive spot. I asked him about who was in charge around Fernsworth and he directed me to the Town house across the street and told me to ask about a women named Cynthia who is considered the mayor. Knocking on the door a servant girl answered and directed us to a room in which the human women was waiting. she asked us our business and after I explained what I was there for she was happy to hear about a trade deal coming from Throal. But to show her our good faith she asked of us a favor before she heads back to Throal for the negotiations. The farmers of Fernsworth are being harassed by local bandits and they are stealing cattle and live stock in the night. She gave us a letter of to give to the farmer Ormid a troll, informing him of who we are.

Arriving at the farm we were greeted by Ormid warmly and he informed us of the direction the bandits always come from. We camped out and set up an ambush for the raiders, once they arrived we beat them good, and no one was majorly hurt. going back to the town house we meet with the mayor and informed her of what we did. the next day we headed out back to Throal and I introduced Cynthia to my sister Alaya at the Throalic Aero club and left them two to make an arrangement that works for them two.

Afterwards I went to my favorite Bar "The Pale T'Skrang" and drank myself into a stupor because I deserve it for such a good job done. Hope to go back to Fernsworth and see the Arcadia again some day.

Reyntrannin

In the Bones of a Giant, Langren Vogel

Post by Reyntrannin » Sat May 30, 2020 5:56 pm

I heard rumors of an Air Sailor wanting to mount an expedition to a settlement that had sprung up in an old Theran airship dock, so I sought out this Icarus Wolf-swift and joined his party. He had gathered other doughty companions, Darius Crawford, a Human Archer, and a fellow Shaman, a Windling Named Reyis Poriv. Together we set out on a fine morning, tracking first north along the Throalic mountains, and then striking westwards along the foothills.
The We had not traveled far when we were set upon by brigands who had laid an ambush for any unwary enough to fall prey to them. Fortunately, their skills of stealth were not up to the challenge we Adepts provided, and we spotted them before they could spring their trap. They were all armed with both bow and sword, and two had taken the high ground, which was a good idea in theory, but lead to those two being cut off from their allies and ultimately easy prey. Aryk, my falcon, stooped down on one of the archers that already been pierced by my allies attacks, ripping out his throat and ending his miserable existence. Meanwhile, Mayaa leapt up onto the promontory on the other side of the road and began harassing the other archer. My companions were not idle either. While Reyis and I struck at the closing swordsmen with our spells, Darius used the distraction provided to pepper them with arrows. With the odds being three to two, the ground fight was short and bloody, at least for the bandits. Icarus, having finally made ti to the top of the cliff, closed with the remaining archer and coordinated his attacks with Mayaa to keep the brigand off guard until he could join his friends in the earth.
Our party, having only been somewhat wounded, decided to travel a bit further until we set up camp and traded our tales in a Hero's Feast, which brought us a sense of comfort and unity even as our camaraderie bolstered both our spirits and our bodies.
The remainder of our journey north was uneventful, and after several more days of trekking through the rolling foothills, we finally caught sight of our destination.
The settlement had indeed grown up near an airship yard, but what surprised me was that is was actually inside the hulk of a crashed airship, one larger than I had ever thought to see. The people of this place, called Fernsworth, had actually used the hull of the airship, named Arcadia, much like the keep walls of a fortified village, and seemed to have scavenged its carcass to construct their buildings. Although this was a good sized place, there still seemed to be room for them to expand before they would need to build new defenses.
Oddly, we were not challenged as we came into the settlement, although guards were at least in evidence. This bothers me, as they do not seem to take the threat of corrupted Namegivers seriously enough, especially given the recent activity only a couple days travel west of them. Perhaps they have other defenses of which we were not privy? No matter that. We found our ways to a public house, where we refreshed ourselves and learned where to find the town's master, a woman Named Cynthia.
After going to the town hall and requesting an audience, we had a bit of a wait before we could meet with their leader. Eventually, though, she did make time for us, and we proceeded into her office. While not truly opulent, it was clear that the own must be doing fairly well from the well appointed room. Cynthia herself seemed a bit harried by her job, but remained polite as Icarus began explaining the mission that this Aeronautics Club had sent him on. He laid out his desires well and spoke quite convincingly, eventually getting Cynthia to agree to accompany us back to Throal to open trade negotiations with the Club.
However, this acquiescence did not come without a Price. She told us of a group of thieves who had been raiding local farms recently. The bandits seemed to know the patrol routes of the town's guards, and had so far been acting without hindrance because of this. Cynthia believed their next target would be struck very soon and that it would be a small farm outside the walls of Fernsworth. She requested that we set a trap for the bandits so that we might clear them out, and relieve the settlement of a problem before it became too serious.
With the information that Cynthia gave us, we traveled to the farm and met its owner, a Troll Named Ormid, who advised us about the path the raiders had used previously, letting us formulate a plan to defend the farm and end this menace once and for all.
I laid a series o Alarms along the path we expected the raiders to use, and we positioned ourselves on and around a rise, so that we could gain the advantage of high ground, utilizing the tactics we had seen in our previous encounter.
As evening drew on, the raiders came in as we expected, with two Archers attempting to position themselves on the same hillock where we had laid our trap. With our physical fighters awaiting them, they were thrown into immediate disarray, forcing their sword wielding companions to try and scale the steep slope to assist. Alas, this was not enough, and the two archers quickly fell to blade, claw, and arrows.
Reyis, who had hidden himself in a cart for the trap, used his position to attack the swordsmen at their flank, striking them with spells to knock them from their feet and using his wings to great advantage. Once the archers fell, the rest of our party converged on the other raiders, quickly ending their lives and delivering the appointed justice Cynthia had decreed.
After the battle was over, we checked to Ormid to make sure he was unharmed, the reported our success to Cynthia. As she had agreed, she traveled back to Throal with us, and all seems to be going well for the Aeronautics club, who were pleased with the new source of airship parts to use to finish the refit of the Throalic navy.
Last edited by Reyntrannin on Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.