AAR: [3H] Morituri te Salutant (2020-05-28 21:30 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

bronzemountain
AAR: [3H] Morituri te Salutant (2020-05-28 21:30 GMT)

Post by bronzemountain » Fri May 29, 2020 2:12 am

Player Rewards:
Moe'uhane 2000LP, 113SP + Last Chance Salve 5 TIPs
Reis Poriv: 2,000LP, 5 TIPs, 113SP, +Last Chance Salve
Kain: 2,000LP, 113SP, 5 TIPs, Last Chance Salve, Questor of Thystonius
NezPerce GrosVentre: 2,000LP, 113SP, 5 TIPS, Last Chance Salve
Daldorer: 5 TIPs, 2000 Legend, 113 Silver, Last Chance Salve

Journal Rewards: 100 LP; 103.3 SP

GM Reward:
A'horangi: 200LP, 150SP, 3 TIPs

Further Information:
A great entertainment has been witnessed at the Amphitheater of Korba! Many might champions did battle against each other. Trifecta/Winners have emerged victorious, despite perfidy and insidious gambits by their enemies. Thystonius is well pleased, indeed. Please remember to come on Sunday as Dyre Riders charge through many wagons. Every child receives a free hat!

Xzandrate

Re: AAR: [3H] Morituri te Salutant (2020-05-28 21:30 GMT)

Post by Xzandrate » Fri May 29, 2020 4:57 am

From the writings of Moe'uhane, T'skrang Illusionist, 5th Circle

Kain the Obsidiman Archer requested assistance in the re-dedication of the Amphitheatre of Roba. Gjorg Thrumval, a Questor of Thystonius, was holding a great arena battle to rededicate the amphitheatre. We travelled with Nez the beastmaster, Rose and Daldorer the nethermancers, and Reyis the shaman.

We arrived at the arena and watched as teams signed up. We watched as a pair of dwarves wielding shields accompanied by a large dwarven woman with a poleaxe behind them, claiming to be the Phalanx. Kain stepped forward and was informed that we would need to split into teams of three. Kain turned and chose the two closest, Nez and Daldorer, and when asked for the team's name he triumphantly declared 'The Winners'. Reyis, Rose, and I stepped up next, when asked our name Rose proclaimed 'Trifecta', suitable for the occasion. After us were a group wearing black armbands, calling themselves Flitwing's revenge. The remaining groups consisted of trolls named The Bonebreakers, a group of elves named Summerwine, a rambunctious group loudly decreed to be Rage, a laid back group named The High Mountaineers, a rather depressing group called The Raven Guard, and finally a lone Ogre who seemed lost.

We moved into a green room with snacks and were able to socialize with the other groups. A short time later Gjorg entered with a windling assistant, they advised that the battles were not about bloodshed and death, they were to celebrate the glory of Thystonius so attacking to stun would be preferred. He then rolled some bones to determine the pairings.

The initial pairings would pair the field down to five teams, who would then participate in a grand battle. The first round looked like this:
High mountaineers vs Rage
Summerwine vs The Bonebreakers
Winners vs Phalanx
Trifecta vs the Ravenguard
Flitwing's Revenge vs Solo Ogre

The Ravenguard were first to faceoff against the three of us in Trifecta. As three casters, not much was expected of us. We hammed our opponents turn after turn with more spells to debilitate them, playing to the crowd. As the Raven Guard spent much of the time battling to make it to us, they eventually surrendered.
Flitwing's Revenge was then pitted against the solo Ogre, he still seemed rather disoriented. Flitwing's quickly caused him down to a knee, and it was taken as a win. The Ogre, now enraged was ready to respond, but he was restrained by a pair of obsidiman elementalists on the sides of the arena.
Rage then entered and quickly over came the High Mountaineers in a plethora of shouts and slashes.
Summerwine then nimbly cut down the Bonebreakers, keeping the trolls strength from coming to bear.
Kain and his Winners then fought in a battle where the arena took life, with a thorn wall leaping between them and the Phalanx. As the dwarves advanced with glee, the arena quickly responded as a bubbling puddle of mud emerged ahead of them. The teams were hesitant by the reaction of the arena, and the crowd became disinterested. Eventually, Kain and his team won the battle.

After a short rest to recover the grand battle drew closer. During our times in the stands we noticed a female windling collecting wagers. During the break we noticed both the leaders of Rage and Summerwine be particularly familiar with the booky. Then she made a visit to the elementalists modifying the arena. While back in the green room, we made certain to discuss the concerns in a volume that the other finalist, Flitwing's Revenge, could hear us. They inquired more as to what we had seen, and we learned that they were here to fight in the name of their fallen comrade, a questor of Thystonius. They felt that Gjorg should be made aware, so we approached him and made our concerns of the booky perhaps rigging the odds once we found out that the two teams she had spoke with were not favoured over anyone other than Flitwing's Revenge. He took note of it, but gave somewhat probing answer, more interested in our reaction than weighing in on the situation. We accepted his indifference and went to prepare. Nez had been feasting with Flitwing's Revenge and when we returned most of Flitwing's had disappeared. As we headed to the arena Nez informed us that he did not feel well. It seemed one of our opponents felt that poisoning the competition. Reyis quickly went back to check on the status of Flitwing's Revenge. All of them had fallen violently ill, to better fight in the name of Thystonius he asked for their armbands and our group of 6 represented for them.

The five team grand battle quickly became a six v six battle. Our side backed up to the edge of the arena and awaited their approach. Summerwine approached defensively preparing to strike the next turn. Rage had one member enveloped himself in a strange dark cloud, we could see him inhaling the concoction. A quick signal between one of our opponents and the guarding elementalists saw an ice sheet appear under our feet. As our sole melee fighter was capable of flight, I feel this trap somewhat backfired. Daldorer struck one with fear, I taunted another, as my spell failed, Kain buried an arrow into an elf, while Reyis invoked a leopard on an elf and Rose prepared to fear the opponent. The battle truly began then, one of Rage stepped forward and buried his blade into Daldorer knocking him down. Nez and Kain let loose into an elf while I pulled a club out and ensorcelled the weapon. As he prepared to return to the battle Daldorer was downed. We responded by downing the air dancing elf. The battle raged on, they moved forward trying to push an advantage only to realize they had fallen into our trap and their own, some of them falling prey to the ice sheet. Two swirling fog clouds causing them jeer and fear, left them on the back foot as more and more we harried their ability to fight. A second member of Rage went down, the Troll who had been virtually unscratched had had enough of being virtually crippled and opted to retreat. As we turned upon the final members of Summerwine, the combined swing of a sword and the exhaustion of the battle caused me to stagger and black out momentarily. A pain spell from Rose elicited a surrender from the elves and they crept off. Gjorg then presided over us, declaring us a the winners quizzically. He pressed if we felt only one should stand. Before any of us could decide, Kain informed him that we won together as a team, as Thystonius would want. Gjorg accepted this and we were celebrated.

During the celebration I took time aside to deliver thanks to our host and commend the undertaking of the restoration.
More revelry of the passions, Barsaive was truly sputtering back to life. Hopefully it would be alive and strong enough to deal with the threats that were doing the same.

Jexel

Post by Jexel » Sat May 30, 2020 6:06 pm

The Written Histories of Nez and ….

We headed out to the opening of the new arena outside of Throal. The Obisidman Kain had invited myself and others to join in the festival to Thystonius. As we entered we divided into groups of three. Kain picked me along with Daldorer to accompany him. The other three I joined with were a very caster heavy group to fight for Thystonius. Trifecta consisting of Reyis, Moe, & Rose.

I believe there were 10 groups of three. Or more specifically 9 groups of 3 and one group of an Ogre….

Trifecta went first against a group called Ravenguard who was a very dark and brooding group. Ravenguard had a Windling Nethermancer, and two melee focused characters. Since I have adventured outside with Moe, Reyis & Rose I know how capable they can be. They seemed to have the fight under control and the Ravenguard quickly bowed out.

Surprisingly the Ogre lost but was not happy about it to …

Rage was living up to its name and took down the High Mountaineers.

Next up we went up against Phalanx who comprised of two dwarven men and a gigantic dwarven woman with a poleaxe. The elemental’s on the side of the match interfered and provided a thorny wall blocking Kain and Daldorer. But then they created a giant mud puddle to slow down Phalanx. We used this to split and take them down with minor scratches.

Summerwine took out the three trolls.

Rage, Summerwine, Trifecta, Flintweens Revenge and us were selected to the Grand Melee.

We eat up before the main event and then I go into the crowd. The book keeper was seen talking to Summerwine and Rage and then to the elementalist’s that control the elementals.

Shortly before the final battle I had some food and then quickly became ill. It seemed to hit Flintween’s Revenge as well as they were not part of the festivities.

Summerwine and Rage were working together and the Elementalists obeyed their commands. It appeared that some of the members of Rage had some very cruel abilities. Daldorer was knocked down early in the fight and Moe was knocked out later. Luckily the members of Trifecta and “the Winners” worked well together.

The Elementalist and the bookkeeper took off right after the fight and skipped on paying many of the payouts.

After the event many people joined the service of Thystonius and it was a great day….except for the puking.

Brian L

Post by Brian L » Sat May 30, 2020 6:25 pm

A while back I went on an adventure with Kain, an Archer. He has been invited to prove himself to the Passion Thystonius by a Gjorg Thrumval. A group of us will be meeting at the town gate and then going on to the Amphitheater of Roba which I hear is newly restored and open for the public’s entertainment. Thystonius expects us to provide some of the entertainment.
Six of us left the Thoral. We were fortunate in that number as when we arrived we learned that we would be allowed to compete in groups of no more than three. Kain, Daldorer, and Nez formed a group as they were the three with the highest chance of doing well in an arena setting. I teamed up with Rose and Moe’uhane. With three casters in the group, our chances of success were less favorable. I wanted to do well for the sake of anything worth doing should be done well, but really we were all here for Kainu.
The contest was to pair off the groups of three. With the winners of each bout going onward to a general melee after. We got to start the show off paired up against a reasonably formidable opponent. One melee, one ranged, and one caster. They worked well as a team, but we were able to wear them down over time and they chose to submit. We also managed to get the crowd onto our side during the bout. Kain’s group was paired against three Dwarves who called themselves Phalanx. The Dwarves did not have the numbers to accomplish their name, made some poor choices and Kain’s group was also able do advance to the final round. The other groups to advance were Rage (lead by Belatri who might have been aligned with Raggok), Summer Whine (AKA Summer’s Eve and lead by Fellin), and Flitwings Revenge.
In between the preliminaries and the final brawl there was time to rest a little and heal some if necessary. It was also a time to eat, play the crowd, and make bets. In this time we noticed Valdia (a windling) who was the primary bookie for the event was being friendly with Rage & Summer. She also sent a messenger down to the Elementalists who were creating ‘terrain features’ for the event. We suspected some form of cheating going on. I was feeling confident in our abilities, but was concerned about the effect of manipulating the bets on the crowd. We did take a moment to warn Flitwings Revenge about possibility. We learned that they were only there in homage to a friend who had died recently and was a Questor for Thystonius. It turns out that in addition to manipulating the bets, they other teams had also poisoned the food. Flitwing’s Revenge was out of the fight before it began. The were willing to let us carry their momentos of Flitwing with us to the final.
Turns out us starting the final as a team of six, was no advantage at all. Rage and Summer were also a team of six, and they were directing the elementalists providing ‘terrain’. They teamed up on Daldorer and managed to knock him out of the fight early. We did manage to get him back up for the end. We used their same tactics and started trying to take them out as individuals starting with the members of Summer. This worked very well for us, as after the initial assault on Daldorer, Rage ceased to be team players, and Summer fell reasonably quickly. With Summer out and one of their number down, Rage left the field. Leaving our group of six. Gjorg asked Kain if he was satisfied with the outcome, or if he felt that we should continue. Kain answered that he felt the battle had been well fought and he saw no reason to go further.
Thystonius was satisfied and allowed Kain to join the Questor path. Valdia the bookie fled with many debts unpaid.

etherial

Post by etherial » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Having witnessed the rituals of one Passion, my curiosity is piqued as to the practices of the others. My compatriots from the Masque of Life and Death are traveling with me to aid in a ritual devoted to the Passion Thystonius. I was at first skeptical what a group of Spellcasters could do in a festival devoted to the Passion of Strength and Valor, but, of course, forethought is a form of Strength. With another adventurer they knew, an Archer and fellow Obsidiperson, we formed two teams to compete in a tournament dedicated to Thystonius' glory. Though the fighting was not to be to the death, injury was a strong possibility. With my knowledge of the Physic arts and the Last Chance spell, I was a valuable attendee. Two huge elementals stood guard, ready to mop up the blood.

The first round was three of our number, under the name Trifecta, against a group of aesthetes called the Ravenguard. They had a Nethermancer of their own who faced off against Rose. She supported two frontline combatants, but they were no match for Moe's illusions. The crowd was very impressed by both sides and cheered them on to new heights of greatness.

A trio of Windlings called Flitwing's Revenge had joined the tournament to honor their fallen comrade, a devotee of Thystonius named Flitwing. They faced off against an Ogre who seemed to be somewhat confused about what all was going on, but was all too happy to fight when the time came for it. The Ogre did not curry favor with the audience, and their boos distracted and disheartened it. Outmatched by opponents with superior mobility, the Ogre fell.

Some Dwarves with an affinity for aromatic herbs, calling themselves the High Mountaineers, were next, facing off a group of bloodthirsty killers known only as Rage. Rage swiftly rendered them unconscious.

Three hardy Trolls known as Bonebreakers were pitted against three Elves calling themselves Summerwine. Summerwine used their mobility and cleverness to outmaneuver the Bonebreakers.

Last was us, a group ominously called "the Winners", consisting of Norg, Kain, and myself, against a trio of Dwarves called Phalanx. They had two in the front with heavy shields and a third in the back with a polearm. Clearly, this was to be a match of brains against brawn until the elementals, whether out of boredom, confusion, or malice, interfered. First they placed a wall of thorns between the two groups, forcing Phalanx to go around, then they turned the sand to mud, trapping any who moved where they stood. I impressed the crowd with my Death's Head spell, and their support buoyed us gainst our foes. Our ranged attacks wore them out, and Phalanx was no more.

An interlude now began, in which we rested and recovered while partaking of the buffet lunch. A windling woman circulated through the crowd, exchanging coin for promises, taking wagers on the outcome of the upcoming Grand Melee. We developed suspiciouns about Summerwine and Rage as they did not eat the food, and these suspicions grew when we noticed that Flitwing's Revenge had been incapacitated by dolorous poison. Norg took up their black armband in support of Flitwing, and we vowed to defeat the cheaters.

With now four teams, the Grand Melee quickly devolved into a six-on-six, with the debilitating poison from lunch aided by deadly poison on Summerwine and Rage's blades. They quickly closed to melee before we could take full control of the field, and I went down to a flurry of blows. My compatriots succeeded, however, and we restored honor to the arena.

etherial

Post by etherial » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Having witnessed the rituals of one Passion, my curiosity is piqued as to the practices of the others. My compatriots from the Masque of Life and Death are traveling with me to aid in a ritual devoted to the Passion Thystonius. I was at first skeptical what a group of Spellcasters could do in a festival devoted to the Passion of Strength and Valor, but, of course, forethought is a form of Strength. With another adventurer they knew, an Archer and fellow Obsidiperson, we formed two teams to compete in a tournament dedicated to Thystonius' glory. Though the fighting was not to be to the death, injury was a strong possibility. With my knowledge of the Physic arts and the Last Chance spell, I was a valuable attendee. Two huge elementals stood guard, ready to mop up the blood.

The first round was three of our number, under the name Trifecta, against a group of aesthetes called the Ravenguard. They had a Nethermancer of their own who faced off against Rose. She supported two frontline combatants, but they were no match for Moe's illusions. The crowd was very impressed by both sides and cheered them on to new heights of greatness.

A trio of Windlings called Flitwing's Revenge had joined the tournament to honor their fallen comrade, a devotee of Thystonius named Flitwing. They faced off against an Ogre who seemed to be somewhat confused about what all was going on, but was all too happy to fight when the time came for it. The Ogre did not curry favor with the audience, and their boos distracted and disheartened it. Outmatched by opponents with superior mobility, the Ogre fell.

Some Dwarves with an affinity for aromatic herbs, calling themselves the High Mountaineers, were next, facing off a group of bloodthirsty killers known only as Rage. Rage swiftly rendered them unconscious.

Three hardy Trolls known as Bonebreakers were pitted against three Elves calling themselves Summerwine. Summerwine used their mobility and cleverness to outmaneuver the Bonebreakers.

Last was us, a group ominously called "the Winners", consisting of Norg, Kain, and myself, against a trio of Dwarves called Phalanx. They had two in the front with heavy shields and a third in the back with a polearm. Clearly, this was to be a match of brains against brawn until the elementals, whether out of boredom, confusion, or malice, interfered. First they placed a wall of thorns between the two groups, forcing Phalanx to go around, then they turned the sand to mud, trapping any who moved where they stood. I impressed the crowd with my Death's Head spell, and their support buoyed us gainst our foes. Our ranged attacks wore them out, and Phalanx was no more.

An interlude now began, in which we rested and recovered while partaking of the buffet lunch. A windling woman circulated through the crowd, exchanging coin for promises, taking wagers on the outcome of the upcoming Grand Melee. We developed suspiciouns about Summerwine and Rage as they did not eat the food, and these suspicions grew when we noticed that Flitwing's Revenge had been incapacitated by dolorous poison. Norg took up their black armband in support of Flitwing, and we vowed to defeat the cheaters.

With now four teams, the Grand Melee quickly devolved into a six-on-six, with the debilitating poison from lunch aided by deadly poison on Summerwine and Rage's blades. They quickly closed to melee before we could take full control of the field, and I went down to a flurry of blows. My compatriots succeeded, however, and we restored honor to the arena.