AAR [6H]: A Debut (2020-05-15 @2000 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Montaugh
Re: AAR [6H]: A Debut (2020-05-15 @2000 GMT)

Post by Montaugh » Tue May 19, 2020 1:57 pm

I was contact by a letter to meet Dvarim and help with something. So I traveled to a very nice neighborhood and looked around. I met his mother, she seemed to be a lovely women and gave us some pastries with gravy for the road. She seemed really upset about some tweezers, I hope we can find them for her. I thanked her for the food and set up with Dubham, Karl, and Dvarim towards his old family homestead up in the mountains near Throal.

The way was cold, I really wish I had purchased that season lamp I was going to get for my cabin. I was thinking about that lamb and getting some warmer clothing when we saw this massive great bear. Karl was really excited at first and then we noticed the bear was dead, and then we also noticed that the dead bear was being cut into by three cave trolls. I wondered at first what we were going to do, and my party members launched their attacks and the battle was on. We were soon beset upon by two more creatures coming out of the caverns. One was a something I hadn't seen before but the other was one of the changlings, similiar to what we had encoutered during the events of the sound and the fury report. If you encounter these twisted pixies, I suggest killing them quickly, use whatever means you need to but kill them. They can warp the very bones in your bodies as it did to mine. It broke, twisted, and pushed spines from my ribs outside of my chest, the pain was unrivaled by anything wound I had taken up until that point. Luckily it died quickly and the other creatures soon followed it.

We healed up as best we could, and while doing so explored the cave, it was shallow and within it was a monument of horror, the changeling twisted and warped countless bones inside of its lair, it even made a throne for itself. I took my battle axe to the works and smashed them, Dubhan then burned what remained. We felt better about removing that testament of evil.

We continued on until we came to a door with a riddle. Why for a door? Karl just walked up to the huge thing and knocked then said "to open" and the door opened. I sighed, this was going to be another Bamor wasn't it. We made our way into a well sheltered area, inside was a small creature that spoke to us and told us to make ourselves at home and that it had waited a long time for us to arrive.

We ate a fantastic meal, we slept the night in some very comfortable beds, and I trapped my room while I slept. The next morning we continued our exploration of the manor and found an orichalcum anvil. Dvarim worked on the anvil and then provided it with a drop of blood, I followed his lead and added some blood of my own to the anvil. Dvarim ended up with an axe that was as of light and I got some really beautiful sling stones and end caps for my staff.

We left and walked outside... and we were attacked by a cadaverous wyrven. Dvarim attacked it and I saw that it had a massive stinger on its tail. The first thing I thought to do was to take a Kelix's Antidote just in case that it actually was poisonous. I then took some cover in nearby bushes. The creature struck at Dvarim with its tail, and then flew towards me and landed a devastating blow, then it flew off once more and moved toward the rest of our group. Karl made an impossible shot that hit its spine and rendered its wings useless. We were able to bring it down soon after. I helped Dvarim skin the animal and within its rotten stomach I found a pair of really nice gloves, a little worn but otherwise they are really nice.

We returned to Throal shortly afterwards. I am looking forward to time at the cabin learning true shot from Karl.

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Fri May 29, 2020 12:30 am

Dvarim requested the presence of William the Scout, Dubhan the Wizard and myself, asking us to assist him in some family business. He explained that his mother, also a Weaponsmith, has a pattern to craft Wyvern Skin Armor. However to get access to this, he shall see after the family's mountain mansion, that was a famous retreat for artisans and craftsmen of all kind. After receiving very tasty rations and some more tasks for Dvarim, we head out of the city.

Going up into the mountains we felt the Cold get to us. No matter what we did, everything got more strenous. I quickly learned that utilizing my Talents took a whole lot of force from me, weakening me much more than I'm used to double strain wtf, when we spotted an enormous specimen of a Great Bear. He was however moving in an unnatural way. What tipped us off was especially it not charging at us. When I approached, three deformed Trolls came out of the Cave shouted at us and started coming at us.
To get into a better position I moved past them, catching a glimpse of something moving within the cave. Also coming at us were a kind of skeletal figure with ice-clad Claws, and a nasty looking figure, resembling something like a fat, corrupted windling with bat-wings. Although we made rather quick work of both creatures, the evil windling used his corrupted magic and turned and twisted the bones in William's body. We made sure to quickly gang up on and eradicate this disgusting creature. Afterwards the Trolls, seemingly having endured years of boneshaping and basically beaten into obedience, were quickly eradicated.
Looking into the cave we found thousands of bones, and Dubhan talked about utmost corruption in the astral space. We spent some time burning the cave's contents into the ground. I made sure that the dead Great Bear wasn't actually corrupted, and was thoroughly dead, and took a claw from it, before we burned the corpse.

We pressed on through this hostile environment, the air getting thinner as we press on. What we then found was a sight as I have not yet seen. We were greeted by a whole lot of different forms of art, most notably figures presenting us with a mirror image of ourselves and other tricky optical illusions.

Approaching the closed doors, we found an inscription, reading "Why for a door?" As everyone began thinking, I answered the question, to which the doors opened. On the other side we were greeted by laughing figures. I don't think I will be able to truly appreciate the humor of artists.

Within the walls we find a couple dozen houses. After some searching we enter a house that turns out to hold a kind of housekeeper spirit. After introductions the others agreed to feasting. I did not trust this spirit and stayed with my rations. I did however, after seeing that they all were well, sleep in the very comfortable beds up here. The night was splendid and without interruptions.

The next day we searched several huts for the family possessions that Dvarim was tasked to bring back to Throal. We encountered another spirit, but I didn't understand what Dvarim and William were doing with this spirit and did not trust this Spirit to take my bow.

Exiting the main hall we heard a screach from the skies. We notice a large bird approaching. It came nearer for a surprisingly long time, steadily growing in size. We had heard of Wyverns, but the size of this thing, along with the undead corruption, made us very clear that this encounter is like nothing before.

We leaned heavily into the fight, splitting out to not make easy targets, and laying all we had into the attacks. With my first shot I pierced the Wavern's back just at the perfect point, severing the nerves controlling the wings. It landed right on top of Dvarim, slashed at him severely, then jumped to William and felled him with one strike. Dvarim, Dubhan, and I gave out another rounds of attacks and luckily were faster before it could finish the job of killing William. William found a pair of gloves spilling out of the Wyvern's stomach, but other than that we were not able to produce too much of worth.

The way back to Throal was uneventful.

spencer4hire

Post by spencer4hire » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:12 am

Amazing journal entries here..