AAR: [9M] Monk Business (2021-04-11 2300 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:13 am

LFG: [9M] Monk Business
Time: 2021-04-11 @ 23:00 GMT
GM: Xzandrate
Difficulty: 9 Medium

Requestor: A'horangi
Rumor: : The monks of the Cloister of Silence are interested in the transformation of the Passions (specifically, the Mad Passions). They believe the magical ritual enacted by the Blood Elves might provide some insights.
Reward: 1/2 Priced Attribute training

Notes: Up to 5 players (7 PM Eastern)
Last edited by Xzandrate on Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sharkforce

Re: LFG: [9M] Monk Business (2021-04-11 2300 GMT)

Post by Sharkforce » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:17 am

Name: Zivilyn
ECR: 10
Last Played: very probably April 10
Discipline: Shaman/Wizard/Elementalist/Nethermancer 8/7/6/5
Notable Abilities: Spells, a little bit of everything at this point. Good with animals. Only *mostly* incompetent at social stuff.
Downtime: Downtime: Animal Training (Talent) - Step 20 including karma (Rank 10) (can train up to 10 commands total, or improve non-combat skills by +1 per command used on it)
Research - Step 28 including karma (Rank 8). +3 to the step is available at a cost of 20 sp for access to the Great Library of Throal.
Item History - Step 20 including karma (Rank 8)
Design Enchanting Pattern - Step 21
Create Blood Charm - Step 21 (for the moment, you'll need to supply your *own* patterns)

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:17 am

Name: Norg
ECR: 10 (717045lp)
Discipline: Gauntlet 10 / Air Sailor 5
Quote/Unique: The punch is not the goal, the punch is the way
Notable Abilities: PUNCH! JUMP! some awareness, some navigation, some wilderness survival, the worst physician this side of the mountains
Downtime: none

or

Name: Elisen
ECR: 8 (200130lp)
Discipline: Cavalryman 8 / Troubadour 5
Quote/Unique: Deliverance flies on silent wind
Notable Abilities: Inspiring Sparkly Zoak power!
Downtime: Animal training step 16 (rank 5; 12 + karma), Item History 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma), Research 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma)

Last played on: 2021-03-21

LadyDragoon

Post by LadyDragoon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:54 am

Name: Azurea M.D. (S.O.A.P)
Circle: ECR 10
Discipline: Shadow 10/Purifier 5
Last Played: March 18 2021
Quote/Unique: You have no proof that it was my blade that killed him. I was just around the body to see if I could help heal him.
Notable Abilities: Sneakiest Of All Purifiers
Downtime: Alchemy 6 (12)
Booster Potions - 2 days for 2
Small Light Quartz - 4 days
Absorb Blow Charms - 4 days

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:19 am

Name: Bloodbeat II of Syrtis
ECR: 9
Last game played: March 21, 2021
Discipline: Nethermancer 8 / Weaponsmith 6
Quote: Tsch!  I hate birds!!
Unique/Notable Abilities: Experience Death, Friendly Darkness, Frighten, Last Chance, Soul Armor, Spirit Talk, Summon Ally Spirits, Viewpoint, Foul Vapors, Lifesight, Recovery, Orbiting Spy
Downtime:
* Alchemy 11 (rank 4) [Booster Potion, Small Light Quartz]
* Forge Armor 18 (rank 7, step 14 + karma)
* Forge Weapon 17 (rank 6, step 13 + karma)
* Item History 17 (rank 6, step 13 + karma)
* Research 21 (rank 3, step 10 + karma +4 [Speed Reading spirit] with library access +3 [20 SP])

bronzemountain

Post by bronzemountain » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:25 pm

Name: A'horangi Ha'hana Syrtis
ECL: 9
Discipline: Monk
Quote/Unique: "Respectfully, I must now punch you."
Notable Abilities: Very polite dinosaur. Fully Item History/Research a Journeyman TI in one week.
Downtime: Research 1/22 (+3 for 20sp), Item History 3/24
Last Game Played: My rumor

Xzandrate

Post by Xzandrate » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:31 am

AAR: Monk Business
GM: Xzandrate
ECR: 9
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
A'horangi: 39000 LP 755 SP 3 TIPs 1/2 Dex training
Zivilyn: 39000 LP 820 SP 3 TIPs
Elisen: 39000 LP 755 SP 3 TIPs 1/2 Dex training
Bloodbeat: 39000 LP 755 SP 3 TIPs 1/2 Wil training
Azurea: 39000 LP 500 SP 3 TIPs 1000 sp of Alchemical reagents from Blood Wood

Alternate Rewards: half price attribute training (Dex, Wis, Per) - 1/2 Price Alchemical Reagents

Journal Reward: +1950 LP, +250 SP

GM Reward:Moe'uhane - 124,000 LP 2000 SP 3 TIPS

Downtime:
Zivilyn:
Animal Training (Talent) - Step 20 including karma (Rank 10) (can train up to 10 commands total, or improve non-combat skills by +1 per command used on it)
Research - Step 28 including karma (Rank 8). +3 to the step is available at a cost of 20 sp for access to the Great Library of Throal.
Item History - Step 20 including karma (Rank 8)
Design Enchanting Pattern - Step 21
Create Blood Charm - Step 21 (for the moment, you'll need to supply your *own* patterns)

Elisen:
Animal training step 16 (rank 5; 12 + karma)
Item History 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma)
Research 18 (rank 5; 10 + 2 karma)

Azurea:
Alchemy 6 (12)
- Booster Potions - 2 days for 2
- Small Light Quartz - 4 days
- Absorb Blow Charms - 4 days

Bloodbeat:
Alchemy 11 (rank 4) [Booster Potion, Small Light Quartz]
Forge Armor 18 (rank 7, step 14 + karma)
Forge Weapon 17 (rank 6, step 13 + karma)
Item History 17 (rank 6, step 13 + karma)
Research 21 (rank 3, step 10 + karma +4 [Speed Reading spirit] with library access +3 [20 SP])

A'horangi:
Research 1/22 (+3 for 20sp)
Item History 3/24

Summary: The Players have successfully established relations with the Wyrm Wood on behalf of the Cloister of Silence and found some potentially promising information around the passions.
Last edited by Xzandrate on Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharkforce

Re: AAR: [9M] Monk Business (2021-04-11 2300 GMT)

Post by Sharkforce » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:35 am

From the Journal of Zivilyn, Windling Magician:

I am not sure I will ever be able to get rid of the smell of blood. my clothes smell like blood. Howler smells like blood. Haze smells like blood. I swear I even took seven baths, but it feels like the smell has just embedded itself in my nose. It really helps sell the Nethermancer angle, but I'd rather just rip my face off on an as-needed basis.

A'horangi was looking for a Magician to help with her latest venture, and she asked so nicely I just couldn't say no, even if she *did* want to go into Blood Wood. Which, by the way, is actually more bloody than I imagined, and with a Name like Blood Wood, I was imagining quite a bit of blood. The ground squelches when you walk, except for where it splashes. Blood oozes from the trees and plants and then drips on you from above, the animals are all bleeding, and of course the Elves are all bleeding. Someone has really got to do something to fix that place and I can't say that I have any idea how to even start.

In addition to myself (and Haze and Howler, of course), A'horangi had requested help from Bloodbeat and Azurea, who I know quite well, and Elisen, who I don't believe I have had the privilege of meeting. Elisen is a Cavalryman and Troubadour, and is accompanied by Isidoros, a dyre that carries a large house structure on his back, and Jacint, a zoak both swift and brave. We first headed to a town called Smuggler's rest near Blood Wood where a sort of quasi-embassy had been established for people who wanted to request entrance into the Wood. We first met our contacts in a tavern, actually; Venmar, a Troll who represented the locals and referred us to our guides Alinar and Miirphys, Warders of the Blood Wood.

They seemed unsure of us at first but at least wanted proper introductions. We did our greeting rituals (they seemed surprised to see metal-infused wood from Ironbark Grove, but it turns out they thought it was from the northern edge of the Blood Wood which also has strange infused wood), and we all performed adequately, although if I didn't know I'd swear Azurea was trying to sabotage us with her answers. Thorns erupting from inside their body is *not* going to be fixed by ointment, dear.

Anyways, they agreed to take us, and we met our next Elf, Preystia, who was in charge of a town called Altana. He was also suspicious of us, but after some tense negotiations (and A'horangi repeatedly stepping on Azurea's toes to keep her from offering ointment... much) we got permission to go to a shrine to the Passions where we could find the knowledge we were looking for. Oh, I've forgotten that, haven't I? Right, well, A'horangi was hoping to find information regarding the Mad Passion of Endurance (no Names, thanks). Particularly, what caused the madness.

Anyways, we walked back out of Blood Wood (which in addition to being quite thoroughly icky is also dangerous), walked around to the north, met a giant murder-tree (just like last adventure), to a town called Noirn. It wasn't much of a town any more... it looked pretty empty, a combination of neglect and devastation I think. We went into the library while Miirphys (Alinar had returned to Smuggler's Rest) went up into the canopy to see if he could find anyone to talk to, since it looked like the highest areas had some life.

We went into the library, which turned out to be both a bad idea (because it was infested with those nasty beetles that can stab right through armour and cause vicious wounds) and a not-so-bad idea (since it turns out that our group that day were much better at dealing with them and not getting hole-punched than the one led by Vlolkir). And also a worse idea, once we noticed that the ground was covered in Wormskull bits (after having it pointed out by some Blood Elves who had been in the canopy recovering from the last time they'd killed the Wormskull). We grabbed as many books as we could, moved them out, and left the books with the locals (after I memorized a few... I'd been copying out the ones I already had in my head out for the local scribes in a show of good faith for our exchange of knowledge, but figured I'd take the opportunity to expand my library a bit, even if the Passions are not my primary field of study).

We headed back around the Wood to Altana, reported back to Preystia (who was surprised to learn that there was a horror laired in the library), promised to do our best to figure out how to permanently slay the Wormskull (Koz'gimoch, and if anyone reading this finds something useful about it please let me know), and left.

We met some good people, but I think I'll be passing up on future opportunities to enter the Blood Wood if I can. Well, except if I find something about Koz'gimoch. A promise is a promise.

Anoush

Post by Anoush » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:20 pm

Bloodbeat's Journal:

Over tea, A’Horangi explained that he’d been contacted by the Cloister of Silence. One of the scholars there, Semyon Targalis, was interested in the corruption of the Passions and how they might be restored. The Cloister had been a temple of Rashomon before the Scourge. It was still held as a temple to the passions, but there were no questors to Rashomon now.

Semyon believed that there was a link between the Wyrm Wood Ritual and the fall of the Passions. He wanted A’Horangi and companions to travel to the Blood Wood and see what could be learned from them, either from their libraries or individual memories. No one expected the blood elves to be amenable to offering this information, so this was to be a diplomatic mission requiring patience.

In addition to myself, A’Horangi selected other companions for the journey: Azurea (troll shadow and purifier), Elisen (windling cavalryman and troubadour) and Zivilyn (windling multi-disciplined magician).

The Cloister set up a meeting with a representative of the blood elves in Smuggler’s Respite, a settlement south of the Serpent River near the Blood Wood. So we traveled there on a riverboat. In the town, we saw a couple of blood elves in passing. The initial meeting was set at a tavern. There we saw one elf at the bar, watching the door; Azurea immediately noticed that he was wounded, that he was dripping blood onto the floor. Azurea approached him to offer healing aid, but got a shock when he turned to her and she saw all the thorns piercing his skin, and realized that the dripping blood was coming from the thorns.

Another elf in a red cloak was seated at a table. This elf turned out to be our contact, Venmara. We sat down with him, and in spite of his obvious exasperation with us non-blood elves, he introduced us to a third blood elf, Alanar Ravajar, a blood elf warden. A’Horangi explained that we wished to travel to the Blood Wood and learn more about the Wyrm Wood Ritual and connections to the Passions.

Alanar was guarded, but admitted that passage could be obtained. But that they’d need to know more about our expectations and about who we were. We agreed to share information. A’Horangi explained that we were representatives of the Cloister of Silence, and that our interest was purely in knowledge, with no connections to Throal or intention of using the information against the Blood Wood.

The elf from the bar joined us and was introduced as Miirphus Yllaberus, Alanar’s apprentice warden. As we talked to one of the elves, the other two discussed in sperethiel whether we could be trusted. Naively they assumed that none of us spoke sperethiel. They wanted to know more about what information we were seeking. A’Horangi explained that we wanted to know more about the fall of the Passions, and to learn if there was any connection to the magic of the Blood Elves’ traditions to the Passions.

Venmara wanted to know what we could offer in exchange for this information. There we were at a loss, and suggested that we could provide information about the world beyond the Blood Wood, share our experiences and travels. To that, Venmara called us “self-indulgent”, and pointed out that the Blood Wood had plenty of scholars and a great deal of information about the outside world. He said that they hardly needed to hear what some adventurers had to say. He was extremely dismissing. Luckily, none of our party was easily offended, or at least, we all knew not to react to his attitude. Elisen suggested that alternate viewpoints could provide additional insights, but they patently were not interested.

It finally came out that what the elves were interested in was finding ways of purifying the Blood Wood. At this, Azurea offered that she was a strong purifier and would be happy to offer her services. In addition, she offered creams and salves to treat the wounds inflicted by the thorns. Mirrphys snickered at that. The other elves nearly laughed in her face.

We were at an impasse. Venmara suggested that we get to know each other, and then the elves would decide if we could have passage into the Blood Wood. It was unstated but recognized that he meant whether we were worthy of being allowed into their precious Blood Wood.

Our group as a whole was invited to stay at a house, a barracks really, in Smuggler’s Respite. The plan was that we’d spend a few days there and let the elves get to know us. After we got settled, Elisen began playing and singing in the common area. Pretty soon Azurea joined in and started dancing to the music. The rest of us offered our own artistic talents, as well. I performed a rollicking drum performance that got everyone’s feet tapping. The elves reciprocated in kind.

Then we began sharing information about ourselves. When I mentioned that I felt a leaning towards Elementalism, that got Miirphus’ attention, since he’s a scout and an elementalist. The elves as a whole were shocked by Azurea’s story about being a bride of Death, and only believed when she related the whole story about the Widow’s Forge and her armor.

After we’d gotten to know them a bit, one thing was very, very clear: the blood elves did not consider us their equals, and they were unhappy at any hint that we considered ourselves to be such. Nevertheless, our honesty in telling them about our backgrounds and hopes for the future must’ve convinced the blood elves to trust us, a little at least. Alanor agreed to lead us into the Blood Wood.

The next day we began the journey. Once we got near the forest, our group became ill at ease, nervous. The closer we got, the more nervous we became. Once inside the forest, it felt like eyes were watching us, like the forest itself was watching us, waiting to attack. As we walked along a path, the soil of the path squelched, and when we lifted our feet, we left behind small pools of blood. The forest was full of blood.

Astrally, the area around the Wood was corrupted, as was the forest itself. Not like the corruption of a Horror, but somehow different. All the trees seemed joined together, forming one entity. With every step, the smell of iron — blood — became stronger. The deeper we got, the more blood there was. It seemed as if even the trees were bleeding red blood. Instead of just squelching when we walked, the path sloshed as we disturbed the layer of blood atop it. Occasionally Alanar nocked an arrow and let fly, shooting, … who knew what. We never saw any game.

By the end of the day, we’d reached the village of Altana. When we arrived, the village seemed normal but guarded, but there was a sense of alertness to everyone. Alanar brought us to see the elder, an elf on the Path of Lords, which we took to mean a highly respected member of the village. We also were told that he was associated with Mynbruje. This association was never made clear; was he a questor, or something else? The elder was Warden Preystia Tales. Alanar introduced us as scholars of knowledge, which was accurate enough.

Preystia asked us what we could offer the Blood Wood in exchange for the knowledge we seeked. When Azurea mentioned her Purifier abilities, Preystia sniffed and dismissed her, “Do you not think that we have numerous Purifiers here? How could one Purifier purify all this?”, waving his hand to indicate the entire wood. Preystia took Azurea’s hand and using some form of magic — I had no idea what — and showed her a vision of the Wood. Later she described it to the rest of us. He had shown her Wyrm Wood as it was before the Scourge, lush and green, then the vision changed as the Horrors invaded it, damaging it; some kind of huge spell appeared in her vision then, and a huge cry erupted across all of the Wood, as all the elves felt the thorns erupt from their skin. Such pain was unimaginable for someone not a blood elf.

A’Horangi suggested that the Wood would thrive with outside knowledge. This finally caught Preystia’s attention. Preystia finally agreed that we could get the knowledge we were looking for if the Cloister agreed to help the Blood Wood in their search for a solution to the corruption.

The library was at a small village called Noirn. The next morning Miirphus lead us to that settlement. It took us two days journey to get there. Along the way, we noticed a tree that was bleeding less than the others. Miirphus called it a hulker, saying that it attacked Name-givers, but the elves could usually take it down.

At Noirn, there were no guards, but we saw some people moving around on the tree branches. Miirphus led us to a huge tree with a hollow space beneath. Continuing down beneath the tree, we found a library, overgrown with vines and plants, but with lots of bookshelves, all in disarray. Before we could do anything, we heard a rustling among the plants. Miirphus told us that no one had been here for weeks, so he didn’t know who could be here.

Then we saw them, large long-legged chittering creatures, climbing on the shelves and furniture. Scar’keks were large beetles with swords for legs. Its typical attack was to impale its foe with one of its legs. There were about five of them, and although fast and dangerous, we defeated them.

As we were recovering and starting are research, an alarm rang out. All the villagers were leaving in a hurry. Miirphus said the the skull worms were moving, and would reach the village in three to four hours. Miirphus gave us a hurried history of the villlage. During the Scourge, a worm skull, Named Kaz’gimoch, took up residence here, before the Ritual of Thorns was done. They’ve never been able to get rid of it, but instead are plagued by it periodically.

We hurriedly found books and references and gathered as much information as we could in the limited time. Then we raced out of the village with the last of the stragglers, and returned to Altana. We reiterated our agreement with Preystia and returned to the Cloister to deliver the information and the news of the agreement we’d made on their behalf.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:52 pm

From the memoirs of Elisen of clan Adorjan, Haressa-tis and Lore Keeper

A'horangi (A'horangi Ha'hana Syrtis, t'skrang Monk and Bodyguard) came by asking if I was interested in "diplomacy and secret violence" and, while neither is my idea of a good time, I am not one to ignore a friend in need. As anyone that got this far in my writings would have noticed, violence at least would have come up eventually anyway. I just wish sometimes people asked me with help judging the pastry competition in Sky Reader instead of murdering slavers.

Once the whole group (Azurea, troll Shadow and Elder of the Purifiers M.D. (S.O.A.P.); Bloodbeat II of Syrtis, t'skrang Nethermancer and Weaponsmith; Zivilyn (windling Magician (unknown clan)) was gathered, A'horangi explained they had been asked by Seymon Tagarlic (noted scholar working out of the Cloister of Silence) to approach the Wyrmwood to broker a scholarly exchange on the subject of the passions and their changes during the Scourge.

We begun by travelling to Smuggler's Respite (going around Sosanopa) where we hoped to find someone familiar with the reclusive elves of Wyrmwood. We were directed towards Venmara (troll, one of the town elders), who we found in the inn trying to have dinner. Also in the inn were two elves who kept their bodies covered in cloaks. Azurea spotted some blood on the one at the bar and walked over offering various ointments to help with whatever may ailing them. Putting two and two together I realised these must be blood elves and tried to keep the situation firmly on the diplomacy part of our mission instead of the violence.

Going back to Venmara's table A'horangi and I explained our situation and the troll eagerly foisted us onto the other blood elf. The blood elf introduced themselves as Ellenar (Blood Warder, Archer and Woodsman) and was initially quite suspicious. They explained that they would have to vet us before we could be allowed in the wood and called their partner over (Miirphys, Blood Warder aspirant, Archer, Elementalist and Woodsman).

Many pretty words were spent trying to convince the elves that our intentions were genuine and we could offer value for value, but in the end the only thing that seemed to even remotely spark their interest was mentioning Azurea's abilities as a Purifier. Of course Azurea being Azurea they had to mention those abilities around both of the feet she'd firmly wedged in their mouth.

Eventually we are invited to their cabin, where we performed proper greeting rituals, perform full introductions, and continue our discussion. Having learned a long time ago that stacking the deck in your favour is always useful, the music of my greeting ritual was laced with magic to invite trust in our hosts. Meanwhile Ellenar and A'horangi danced, Miirphys cooked up a (plant) feast, Bloodbeat drummed, and Zivilyn wove a basket.

Some eyebrows were raised at Bloobeats theories on reincarnation and Zivilyns laundry list of magical disciplines, but nothing compared to when Azurea dropped that she was death's bride while making some shadow puppets. Maybe violence would have been the easier route.

Unsurprisingly since both Ellenar and Miirphys are high circle adepts they expected me to be flexing my Troubadour talents, but since they did not throw us out, my work was not in vain. The rest of the evening was spent with Ellenar going into great detail about how stuck up and arrogant her people were and how they would probably just ignore or request.

The next day we crossed the Serpent and made good time towards the wood. Now, I've been in the outskirts of the Wyrmwood before, when returning from Iopos, but that did not prepare me for the true wood. I understand why some are calling it Bloodwood now. There was blood everywhere, the animals were bleeding and trying to kill us, the plants were bleeding and trying to kills us, the ground was bleeding. And probably trying to kill us. I never thought I'd find a place worse than Sosanopa.

Eventually we reached the city of Altana, were we were greeted by some "friendly" guards before being allowed in. After a quick wash to get most of the blood off we went to meet the local Warder (Preystia) who ruled the town from a very ostentatious building up in the trees. Once again we were met with unmitigated suspicion and disdain, but we managed to pour enough... diplomacy... their way that they are willing to at least listen. Azurea was shown a vision of the Ritual of Thorns, which may have gotten the gravity of the situation in their head and then Preystia started compelling truth out of us (how barbaric) trying to assess our intentions.

Eventually the Warder pointed us to a temple that hosted a number of scholars studying the subjects we were interested in, up north in the town of Noirn. Miirphys was tasked with taking us there.

The next few days were spent trudging back out of the wood, following the edge north, and then re entering it to get to Noirn. Noirn was not what I expected, the place looked almost abandoned, the "entrance" to the temple was in a hollow under a tree and blocked by growth. Miirphys left us there to go look for people, while me made our way inside. Along the way we were attacked by something that looked like a walking tree.

Inside we found a library that looked like it had been used as a mating pen for dyres and four scar'keks (giant beetle like horror constructs with a penchant for stabbing people to death even through the heaviest armour I'm told) which we proceeded to murder. Finally we had both diplomacy and (not so) secret violence. As we were looking around we noticed that the floor was crawling with worms, just as Miirphys returned with some friends. Apparently the scar'kek were guarding the lair of a horror which was going to reform in a few hours.

So we did the only sensible thing: filled Isidoros' packs with as many books as we could (and that's a lot of books) and begun our return journey. We definitely did not flee. Or run. Or escape. We just collected what we had come for and left since we had no more interest in the place.

As we left we learnt that the horror Koz'gimoch had taken residence in Noirn during the scourge and the town was supposed to be off limits. Back in Altana we handed the books to the Warder who had no idea about what happened to Noirn (sigh, elves), but was willing to provide us with copies of the books to take back and to arrange for five monks from the cloister to come study in their town.