Excerpts from the Court-mandated parole log of Gronk Longtusk

Post your characters here

Moderator:etherial

etherial
Re: Excerpts from the Court-mandated parole log of Gronk Longtusk

Post by etherial » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:09 am

20 Charassa
The Wolf Father has made another offer we can't refuse, to sneak into the Cultists' Lair and steal an artifact from them. I guess we're not ready to wipe them out after all. The item he wants is an old tome of the Cult of Roshomon, from the days before he went mad.

25 Charassa
After an hour of debating our options, we finally assault their position. With some difficulty, I set myself up on the roof of their own tower as a sniper nest. Bortruk unfortunately attracted the attention of their guards and they managed to set him on fire. As I picked the Cultists off one by one, they charged outside their fortifications to try and overwhelm poor Bortruk with sheer numbers. The last one finally just grabbed his body and held a dagger to his throat. We convinced him to drop the Dwarf and run and secured the surface.

Within the tower lay the Vault Door, opening into a long hallway, ending in a creepy green glow. In the grand chamber within, a green figure wielding a scythe slew one of its minions to fuel its Nethermantic power, raising the minion and several wolf corpses to serve its fiendish interests.

The wolves charged into Bortruk and Ceadda, the undead Cultist with them. I tried kiting them but came too close and they managed to get their hands on me, which wrecked me for a lot. As the battle raged on, everyone -- Cultists included -- was slowly drained of all their fighting ability and it became little more than a bare-knuckled brawl. And I know to fight in a bare-knuckled brawl. I put my last ounce of energy into trying to kill it and I guess I succeeded because I woke up ever.

The Wolf Father rewarded us as usual with shiny magic items.

Other PCs:
Bortruk, male Dwarf Air Sailor
Ceadda, male Human warrior
Irwin Ernest Hopperton, III, male Human Elementalist

NPCs:
The Wolf Father

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:27 am

5 Rua
L'Krusk the Infamous, leader of the Emerald Roses, went to jail. Then she escaped. And then I got the pleasure of hunting her down and turning her in for money.

8 Rua
we got ambushed by a pack of her goons who did a great job of keeping us distracted, constantly drawing our attention and then letting their allies shiv us in the rear. We captured one. He talked some. We let him go eventually.

12 Rua
We follow their trail up into the Mountains. Varis was able to locate a nearby air spirit and probably tricked him to go into the hideout and count Namegivers. He counted five things. They were probably Namegivers.

Slowly we approached the entrance of their hideout. Bortruk tossed a torch in and was able to locate the source of the explosive gas they were using as a trap. Then Ceadda found the bear trap they were using as a trap also. Unfortunately, he found it with his leg.

As Ceadda took comically long to get out of the bear trap, we lulled the Emerald Roses into a false sense of security and L'Krusk engaged. Bortruk managed to distract her and then knock her down, and then I pummeled her with arrows until she was dead. I punctuated each arrow with "We only want her", which helped us significantly. This was not without cost as her archers pummeled Bortruk in turn, bringing him down as well after he slit her throat and demanded their surrender.

We liberated Ceadda from his trap, sapping the Emerald Roses' will from the fight and they allowed us to leave.

12 Rua (again)
After making camp for the night, I dipped my hand in L'Krusk's blood and gave everyone the finger. They're Buunda Boyz now.

Other PCs:
Bortruk, male Dwarf Air Sailor
Ceadda, male Human Warrior
Varis, male Dwarf Elementalist

NPCs:
L'Krusk the Infamous, female T'Skrang Swordmaster
The Emerald Roses, a gang

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:52 am

From the journal of Gronk Longtusk

Earthtime, 1421 T.H.
I am free of my obligation to the Throalic Government. These journal entries have profited me well, though, so I guess I'll continue.

1 Sollus
The Great Library of Throal has identified a possible location in the Throal Mountains for a megalith containing a collection of ancient pre-Scourge recipes. They've offered to trade some of their cached rarities in exchange for the recipes. Seems pretty chumpy to me, but I'm not a Great Library, so I signed up for the job with some of the regulars. We had suspicions the recipes might not be in Throalic, so we hired a Scribe to translate.

We started by going South, to visit what seems to be the epicenter of the phenomenon. It was an unadorned rock. Varis seemed to think t was special.

Even in midsummer, hiking through the heart of the Throal Mountains seemed unduly dangerous, so we cut through the mountains the short way across to the Iceclaw Moot and then followed the Serpent River east. This being the longest single journey we've attempted outside of Throal, I splurged on some horses to make the going a little faster.

3 Sollus
Traveling by horse is great. We've arrived at the Iceclaws in half the time. They warned us that their scouting parties into Marrek have been chased away by some sort of burrowing horror. How convenient that we were headed into Marrek...

4 Sollus
Traveling East along the river, we heard the telltale rumbling of the horror. Spurring our horses on, we hurriedly rode over the rocks and through the trees and up the hills. Then the avalance started and we mostly succeeded in keeping our mounts on their feet.

6 Sollus
Climbing up into the mountains, a troupe of Ice Flyers spotted us. Their leader hooted at August, who hooted back. Their attack quickly fell into a rout, too quick even for us to kill the others.

At the standing stones, we had a confusing-as-usual conversation with Piabach. Our Scribe was able to transcribe the recipes after several of our number Marked themselves with the runes of the place, and then we were set upon by more Ice Flyers and even some Espagra. I found enough forage that we were able to try out one of the recipes. It was okay.

12 Sollus
In exchange for the recipes, they gave us cash, luxury goods, and I scored a sweet magic shield. The Dwarves have some pretty messed up priorities.

Other PCs:
August Rey, male Dwarf Cavalryman
Varis, male Dwarf Elementalist

NPCs:
Nurfec Greathood, male Dwarf Scribe
Piabach, mischievous entity

etherial

Post by etherial » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:27 am

20 Borrum, 1421 T.H.
At last I have put together the team to take out these Bandit rascals. Irwin and I have spent some time discussing the various strategies we could employ and the variety of elementals he could summon, but we have concluded that the simplest solution is the best: Beat down their front door with as powerful a Fire Elemental as he could reasonably summon and follow along in its wake.

As we climbed into the mountains, I left my companions a ways behind me to scout ahead. Their defenses were well placed, however, and I was made. One stepped out to confront me and I tried to charm him with my roguish good looks until my comrades could catch up, but they weren't buying it. Romari managed to Mind Dagger one right off the cliff he was standing on. I took out their leader while the others removed the third. Two more Bandits chose to engage rather than flee and Monstrous Ceadda managed to make short work of them too.

Near the entrance to the Copper Mine they'd elected to use as their lair, Irwin summoned a Fire Elemental with a Strength Rating just under his Circle - easier to control, I suppose. He set it loose inside the mine with instructions to set everything flammable on fire. We never saw the Fire Elemental again, but we saw plenty of evidence of its work.

Onward we went into the depths of the mine. Someone managed to set off a trap in one of the larger chambers. We tried to scatter to minimize the damage, but the chamber doors slammed shut and I alone had managed to escape. The room began to fill with oil and the remaining lamps on the ceiling ignited the substance. Quick thinking on Irwin's part allowed him to cast Resist Fire on the group within while I scrambled about looking for a control mechanism. I ended up having to crawl beneath the chamber to the control room to disable the mechanisms causing the oil to pour in. Meanwhile, Aegharan, Irwin, and Romari figured out that the key to deactivating the system lay in a riddle that could only be answered in the tongue of the Earth Elementals - an insanely complicated security mechanism for either a mine or a Bandit lair!

Not far beyond that chamber we arrived at a deep chasm in the earth with a fort on the far side. A creature that looked like it had once been Human commanded the remaining Bandit forces and a summoned Metallic Earth Elemental. I leapt to an upper area so I could snipe their archers and Ceadda began to fight the enemy Elemental. Irwin assisted him in holding and then Banishing it, but a Bandit came up behind me.

Forced to defend myself in close quarters, I dropped my precious bow and drew my daggers, hoping that my Talent in reading foe's weaknesses would carry the day. The decayed one stepped onto a wooden bridge to cast spells at us from closer ranger and Irwin took advantage of his desperation to destroy the bridge and hurl our enemy into the chasm. Their leader dead, the remaining Bandits surrendered and we were able to secure the location.

As civilization expands, Banditry will probably always remain with the people who travel the roads from Throal, but this organized menace at least has been stopped.

PCs:
Aegharan, male Elf Illusionist
Gronk Longtusk, make Ork Archer/Liberator
Irwin Ernest Hopperton III, male Human Elementalist
Romari Savre, male Elf Wizard

NPCs:
???

etherial

Post by etherial » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 am

20 Mawag, 1422 T.H.
Ceadda, Romari, and Thane have asked me to help them reconsecrate a Temple of Garlen to use as a base of operations for clearing out the city of Telips. We spoke to the Throalic Temple of Garlen and they recommended that we bring some of Garlen's Tears down from her pool in the mountains.

27 Mawag
Having climbed into the mountains for the first time in his life, Neville is awed at the natural beauty all around us, particularly the beauty of Garlen's Pool. Some gathered water, bathed, or cried into the pool, but I just played it cool, not wanting to offend her with my sketchy criminal past.

4 Gahmil
Treading carefully through the outskirts of Telips, I spotted some Gnashers that got a little too close to us. I ambushed one and the party leapt to my aid but Romari got a little too deep into the brush and was attacked by a Shadowmant. Several other Shadowmants joined him and we had quite the party, but eventually they were dispatched.

We spent the early evening cleaning up the Temple and pouring the consecrated water into the requisite places in the Temple.

5 Gahmil
I slept like crap. Romari slept like crap. Neville's been sleeping like crap for days, but maybe that's just because he's a pampered city-dweller. We're all able to Art, so maybe it's just the spirit of the place and not the actions of a horror.

We did a scout-around in the area outside the Temple and found a Pack of things that Romari called Jehuthras. They're like giant spiders with the faces of Namegivers and they cast magically cold webbing on people and things. Romari was quickly all webbed up, floating like an idiot, and eventually Ceadda was, too. We were able to repel the first wave, killing one, and they retreated into their webs to reorganize and come at us again from different angles. That's when they webbed Ceadda. Thane and I held them off and we managed to kill another one, but two ran off.

We followed the two back to their nest and saw at least four more Jehuthras. We were in no shape to take that many on, so we left to bring the knowledge we've discovered back to Throal.

PCs:
Thane Cawdor, male Troll Sky Raider

NPCs:
Neville Barney, male Human Questor of Garlen

etherial

Post by etherial » Sat May 12, 2018 7:49 pm

20 Rua, 1423 T.H.
It's been nearly a year since I've been out in the world. I had to have my bow and armor re-Forged just to make sure they stay fresh. Still, I've heard rumors that the descendants of Marrek have begun to try to reclaim their homeland and faced stiff opposition from the Rockworms we encountered there the last time we ventured North of the Serpent.

22 Rua
Travel over the mountains is a lot easier with a fleet of Magic Carpets, and we made it across the Serpent in no time. Strange markings litter the land, spirals erupting from the Earth then suddenly disappearing, clear markings of the presence of Rockworms.

The land here is much transformed. Flooding in some areas, drought in others, as if some malign entity is constructing earthworks and levies with the Rockworms, and we do find tracks indicating some Ork-sized creature with steel sabotons has been directing them. Curiously, it has neither tracks leading to nor from the site we have seen its ministrations, only wandering around within. We are wary of their presence and spend a night defying logic and sleeping in trees.

A small trio of gnashers, quaint adorable things, really, came meandering by in the night, intend on eating our sleeping trees. I obliterated the first in a single shot while Aegharan woke Romari and Ceadda. I roused Thane, who engaged a second with me, while the two Spellcasters fought off the third and Ceadda armored up.

I do not understand why that man still sleeps in the nude out of doors. It's not like his armor is *that* uncomfortable.

The gnashers were not the only threat, however. Something called a Wormskull appeared as if from nowhere (but in fact from Astral Space) and laid into Ceadda. Turning, I engaged with it and between the five of us, it was vanquished, but not before it bore a hole into Romari's mind and warned it of its...brother, soon to be arriving.

23 Rua
We speak with the members of the Expedition, who have built themselves quite the fort in the Marrek wilds. It seems they have lost some of their number to fool's errands but the leader is no longer willing to risk his neck to save them, and the situation is tense but stable. They inform us of an area to the North West where most of the Rockworm sightings have occurred, and so there we go. Four Rockworms have been sighted, three large and one massive. I do not look forward to fighting all four at once.

23 Rua (continued)
We follow a dried riverbed North, the air thick with a palpable dread. We each tried to cheer each other up, encourage each other to carry on, and find other ways of fighting the Terror by singing songs, doing katas, reciting poetry, and using spells to affect the terrain. We can tell that the Rockworms are close, but we know that the Wormskull is also close. Could they secretly be related? We plan on slaying the Wormskull first, then the Greater Rockworm, and then the others. Focus fire all the way is the order of the day.

As the ground began to shake below us, I saw three Rockworms converging on us from different directions. Readying my bow, I spotted a weak point in the closest Worm's armor and tore a massive hole in its side. The casters and Thane moved to engage, but Ceadda hung back and wisely so, as the Wormskull appeared and used its Skin Shift power on it. Tempted to change my focus to save Ceadda, I risked his life a round to try and finish off the Rockworm. Its body split like an overcooked sausage. Remains of previous adventuring parties were thrown from the carcass. I was able to salvage a badelf looking hat.

Despite its desire for revenge, the Wormskull did not like its odds. It retreated first to Astral Space and then off the map as we eliminated the Rockworms one by one. We never did see the Greater Rockworm, perhaps it was eaten by the Wormskull, perhaps it had moved on to greener pastures.

PCs:
Aegharan, male Elf Illusionist/Thief
Gronk Longtusk, male Ork Archer/Liberator

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 pm

1 Mawag, 1423 T.H.
After months of planning, I am finally setting out to establish trade with V'Strimon and Syrtis. This will hopefully cut Sosonopa off from spreading their Doppler infection further and providing economic means against them as well. The townsfolk's blind loyalty to Ivon has proved far more intractable than his Horror Powers.

3 Mawag
Onboard the X'Egirathla II, we set up a 24 hour watch to protect the ship as she traveled down under-charted waters. A small pack of Saurals made a nuisance of themselves but we were able to repel them.

5 Mawag
We made a brief stop in V'Strimon to reaffirm our plans for opening fair trade and take on representatives from Her Excellency V'Strimon.

19 Mawag
We have made a serious matter of charting the course as we head Upriver. One small misstep could beach the ship on our return. Still, it has been exhausting work keeping eye and ear out for trouble, and it is with much pleasure that we arrive at Syrtis, the Cliff City of Lalai Gorge.

19 Mawag (continued)
We have apparently arrived just in time for something called a Shuvakko Festival. Personally, I think the Syrtans just made it up since the V'Strimon T'Skrang mentioned nothing of it on the way up, but T'Skrang do have a tendency of leaving out details just to throw you, so maybe it is real. The Festival featured several "battles": A battle of Strength, A battle of Dexterity, A battle of Agility, A battle of Wits, and a battle of Knowledge.

Romari volunteered for the battle of Knowledge, thinking his Wizardry would aid him, but the Knowledge in question turned out to be wine, and he was a terrible sommeliel and also had quite the useless liver.

Thane participated in the battle of Strength, which was a Thrown Weapons competition, throwing hafts of trees. His opponent was an Obsidiman who beat him in the first round but had a critical fumble in the second round, allowing Thane to win handily.

Ceadda was Named champion in the battle of Dexterity, which was once again a Thrown Weapons competition, this time for precision instead of Strength and Distance. He was defeated, but not as soundly as I in the battle of Agility, which turned out to be a Climbing competition. With my Climbing Kit disallowed, I got off to a bad start and bungled the first leg, getting thoroughly left in the dust by my opponent.

Nista remained to participate in the battle of Wits, which was a competition to impress the audience. She tried using her Frighten spell to cow her opponent, which succeeded, but the Judges ruled against her.

We lost 4 of the 5 competitions, but were greeted warmly as visitors (T'Skrang at least are gracious hosts and good winners, even when they stack the deck against you) and we succeeded in our aims.

PCs:
Pethrytholilanista, female Elf Nethermancer

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:38 pm

15 Raquas, 1423 T.H.
A while back, Aegharan mdae friends with some jungle people in the Servos or something, and one of them sent him a letter. Apparently they were having trouble with the Sosonopans and decided to do something about it. Afraid that they might be outmanned, Aegharan grabbed the rest of us Journeyman Adepts and we headed up to see what all the fuss was about.

18 Raquas
After arriving to see Sosonopa a smoking ruin, we met with Cimabu, the leader of the Tribe that had wiped out the Doppler Threat. Most of it, anyway. Cimabu worked art and took off his shirt to show he was no Doppler, and despite the strong desire to not be left without armor among strangers, we did the same. Then he showed us the head of August Rey. Now as far as we knew, August Rey was alive and well breeding Troajin back in Throal, so we figured this had to be the head of his Doppler. Then Cimabu explained his concern in calling us - there was one Doppler his forces did not have the strength of arms to kill - Ceadda.

Ceadda's Doppler had retreated to a sunken part of the Sosonopan Kaer, and we sent Thane forward with a rope to see if there was air on the other side. When he sent the tug that inidcated there was breathable air, we followed suit and arrived in a sunked cavern populated by Saurals, giant amphibians that oozed burning ichor. They caught Thane unawares and melted his mace but my Wood, Air, and Fire Arrows helped with crowd control and we slew them all. The town had once had an Airship to command, but time and the Serpent River and the Saurals had reduced it to a smoldering wreck.

With the water nearly at chest height, we pressed on into a wrecked temple and there found the false Ceadda. Though he tried to confuse us, we were all able to track him and he quickly realized he was outmatched. Smashing a glass jar, he freed two Wingflayers that he had captured and the Mages took care of them while I Harried DopplerCeadda into oblivion.

Further on into the labyrinth we found a party of Humans armed with Crossbows who told us that they had elected to remain in Sosonopa's Kaer, and we congratulated them for their prudence while also counseling a return to the surface. Whether they will be able to relocate with the river above their Kaer Entrance remains unseen.

PCs:
Aegharan, male Elf Illusionist/Thief

NPCs:
Cimabu, male Human Warrior of the Ect'shlutu

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:34 pm

15 Rua, 1424 T.H.
A group of Novice Adepts have identified an earthwork allegedly being raised by a Horror. His Majesty's Corps of Engineers has asked us to check it out and ensure that all Horror activity has ceased. We'll be dropped into the area by an Airship as it's passing by and then reconnoiter with it again tomorrow. The others think this is to try to trick the Horror into thinking that nobody's investigating it, but my gut says that the Dwarves are just trying to make sure none of them are in any danger.

17 Rua
Our Airship has departed Borgan's Rest en route to the earthwork. It is a valley that is being walled off by bricks of clay created from loose baskets with moistened dirt within. It could become a formidable wall if we allow it to continue.

18 Rua
With utmost care, I snuck on ahead to guard my allies as they explored the lost valley. First we arrived at a small homestead under construction by a single Elf. He greets Romari warmly in a language none of us recognize, but Romari and I quickly decipher the words and understand it to be the Theran tongue - not often heard in this part of Barsaive. He is also unfamiliar with our greeting ritual. Art is performed by all sides and he informs us that he was unaware there were other survivors nearby. Very strange as we are well within Throal's pre-Scourge sphere of influence.

Beyond was a village, built like those pre-Scourge towns I've read about that had no defensive measures in their periphery. We are able to walk right in and speak to some manner of Construct made of Steel that claimed to be its Mayor. A small child appeared and began pleading with the "Mayor", and right before I concluded we had to interfere, the child revealed itself to be a Construct as well, unleashing its tendrils on Varis and trying to siphon his lifefore.

As I unslung my bow and prepared to unload on the creature, some gigantic preying mantises appeared, coated in black ichor, ambushing my allies. Ceadda was seized and his attacker tried to bite his head off. Varis was likewise brought down, but was able to cast his Death Rain spell before being knocked out. This was...not the best plan. The acid rain killed the mantises, sure, but it began to melt the entire village. Including the villagers. The cries of the children certainly made me question whether Varis were Horror-marked.

We began to explore the ruined village and found a half-dead infant. We tried to apply healing aids to it, but it blew away to dust in our hands. Everyone in the village was a Construct. As the search went on, I found a tunnel in one of the houses. I couldn't make out any of the tracks, but it was clear there was a large number of the villagers had gone down there. Down into the tunnel we went. Thane kept running off ahead triggering traps. I would've preferred to find them myself, but at least he found them all.

A turn in the tunnel opened into a crossroads, which made for a nice little kill zone. A sole figure stood in the center of the crossroads, so I went to parlay. It charged. Ceadda and Thane moved forward to form a line, which was a very smart move since the figure had friends. The four of them were like ambulatory suits of plate mail, empowered by Corruption itself. They were tough opponents and threatened to overwhelm us when their master, a Gharmek of Unusual Size, burst through the wall into our midst and they started pouring in to flank us. Fortunately the master proved weaker than the servants and with us focusing fire on it, the Gharmek went down.

That move was not without cost, however. Ceadda had ceased to move and the Constructs were still quite far from being defeated, so we sounded the retreat. Romari and Thane holding the line in the retreat and we made it out of the tunnel with our skins intact.

19 Rua
Having properly revived Ceadda, we are picked up by the Dwarves and report in.

PCs:
Varis, male Dwarf Elementalist/Wizard

etherial

Post by etherial » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:15 am

10 Gahmil, 1424 T.H.
The Buunda Boyz have heard of a businessman named Mr. Livé who is mounting an expedition to the Blood Wood to try and harvest some of its natural resources. None of us have been there, but Nista has and her experience is that the Blood Elves are adamant that we not bother them. We've agreed to go with him to try and keep his people out of trouble.

20 Gahmil
Having ignored the established meeting place set forth by the Blood Elves, Mr. Livé set up camp on the Southern Edge of the wood. We spent some time meeting and glad-handing the other recruits, only to discover that they were all non-Adepts. This does not bode well for their survivability. Mr. Livé himself maintained his residence on a boat in the Serpent, coming out only to encourage people and give lists of his desired biologicals, only the most deadly plants and animals to inhabit the Blood Wood, natch. He was unconcerned about the long-term survivability of his other employees.

20 Gahmil (Continued)
Having made camp, we took a quick foray into the wood to see if we could recover any of the things Mr. Livé desired. The forest was very disorienting. Mere moments after entering, we found ourselves separated into two groups some yards apart. Only repeated and careful coordination allowed us to stay together afterward.

After collecting some Blood Berries and Blood Vines and Blood This and Blood That, one of the vines that Ceadda was trying to harvest decided to eat him. It quickly wrapped around him, tightening against his flesh and tearing at his armor, but with a burst of Strength, he was able to break free.

The passive defenses of the Kaer seeming not enough to hold us at bay, a team of Blood Warders with two Swordmasters, two Archers, and two Ethandrilles attacked us. We were able to capture one of the Swordmasters and bring him back to camp for interrogation.

Back in camp, the interrogation did not go very far. He was adamant that there was no way of negotiating successful exit from the Blood Wood, let alone commerce, and we eventually let him go. The camp had nearly doubled in size, so we made some impassioned speeches and declarations to get the less experienced folks to leave. One tried to punch Ceadda, so Ceadda rendered him unconscious in a single blow.

21 Gahmil
Nista summoned a spirit of the place that was able to guide us to a relatively friendly village within the Blood Wood, and there we negotiated a semblance of peace.

PCs:
Pethrytholilanista, female Elf Nethermancer
Romari Savre, male Elf Wizard/Traveled Scholar

NPCs:
Mr. Livé, an Entrepeneur