Greetings and Salutations!

Forum for play-by-post Earthdawn games

Moderator:etherial

Karhald
Re: Greetings and Salutations!

Post by Karhald » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:42 am

How is the dice roller on rpol.com? Can it handle the step system, or do you need to manually type in the rolls?

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:49 am

Combat would be a real problem, and would need to be adapted pretty heavily to be fun. My thought is that the rules would need to be streamlined down a few rolls per person per combat. Way more narrative. They roll one attack talent and one support talent, say whether they are attacking the BBEG or the mooks. Against mooks, each success hits a different mook. If the damage is enough to cause a wound, each of those mooks is out of the battle. Two injuries that don't cause wounds count as a wound. BBEGs might have 3 wounds before they are out. Once they have a summary of the mechanics of the battle, they go in initiative order describing what happens. Wrap up most combats in one or two 'rounds'. Outside of battle, just assume most tests succeed and say what happens.

I don't know if that's normally how PbP goes, but something like that makes sense to me.

Karhald

Post by Karhald » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:18 am

How I normally run my PbP combats is:

There are fewer questions about whether or not an attack or a test was successful. The GM has the monsters defenses, health, armor, and necessary ratings posted for everyone to see. When a player rolls an attack, they know if they succeeded, and also if their attack caused enough damage to slay. If their attack finishes off the foe, they may describe the kill however they wish (if you have ever watched Critical Roll on Youtube, the DM will sometimes say "How do you want to do this?" meaning they got the killing blow, and could describe the blow however they wished, even if their description was a gross violation of the rules, it didn't matter, the baddie is now a deadie, have fun with it).

Rolls can be inserted into the bottom of the post inside of *spoiler* tags, and with other formatting options, you can craft a rather attractive post, RP is highly encouraged, as mechanics are necessarily slow and clunky just because of the interaction format.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:44 am

That makes sense. I might be willing to take turns on some GM duties after playing a little.

Karhald

Post by Karhald » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:17 pm

Jamohn wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:54 pm
I run some PBP on rpol.com, but both my games are full.
Yes, PBP is very slow but I have some of the same issues, although for me it's more about wife aggro and trying to balance family and games.
So, for me, PBP is a better option, although I'd rather do a roll20 game that can do more with less time. :(
I looked up rpol.com, it's a domain name that's for sale for the low, low price of $32,000!

So, what site do you use for PbP?

Jamohn

Post by Jamohn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:18 am

Sorry, .net - not .com.
I use rpol.net right now. :)