Rules revision general discussion thread.

*ARCHIVED* Sub-forum for the original West Marches Discord campaign

Moderator:etherial

etherial
Re: Rules revision general discussion thread.

Post by etherial » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:04 pm

ChrisDDickey wrote: The Questors book was published last weekend. I don't think it is going to require 3 months of contemplation to decide how to incorporate into the campaign. We could take the 3 months if required, but the few issues it raises could probably be decided at the same time as the companion. The issues might be complex, but there are very few of them!
We are hoping to roll it out along with the Companion changes. Hopes are not set in stone, of course.
ChrisDDickey[/quote wrote: Last is the topic of falling out of Favor with your Passion. This is done by frequently ignoring opportunities to perform AoD, and actively working against the Passions Ideals. This falls under the topic of "long term effects", and is also probably a decision that should not be made independently by any one GM. But it would be nice if a GM (or all GMs in council) had some sort of carrot and/or stick.
I imagine it would require approval of both the GM Head and the Character Head at minimum. There is a GM Channel on Discord where we discuss character growth, arcplot, world building, etc.

Thank you for your thoughts.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:56 am

Another question that needs to be decided about Questors, is if Questor ranks affect a characters Effective Circle Rating, and if so how much. Remember that unlike a Discipline, Questor ranks represent two maximums, not two minimums. Which is to say Circle 5 Discipline means you have 9 to 14 talents, at least 9 of them are of at least rank 5. A Questor rank 5 means you have up to 5 Devotions, each of at maximum rank 5. So I don't think it ought to count as much as a Discipline rank would.

In fact, I think we ought to revisit how much additional Discipline ranks effect the ECR.
Additional Disciplines add 1 Circle when calculating what Adventures the character can go on, or 2 Circles if they are within 1 Circle of their Highest Discipline.
Other people have written that they think this formula is flawed and that (for example) "A Circle 4 / Circle 3 Multi Discipline character has a rating of (4 + 2 = 6)" is much too high, and that such a character would be severely outmatched. And that, for example an extreme case where a character had circles of 5/4/4 would be calculated as having an ECR of 9 which would be suicidal.

I would propose that the formula be adjusted. Such as, "Each Additional Discipline where the circle is more than half the highest circle adds one circle when calculating what Adventures the character can go on." might be more appropriate. Or maybe more than 70%. It is easy enough to make a table look at the numbers and try to see which produces the most appropriate numbers.

So anyway, off the top of my hat, I am thinking that good numbers might be somewhere between "above 50%" and "above 80%" for disciplines, and "above 75% or "above highest discipline circle for Questor ranks". Or somewhere thereabouts.
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fusilliban

Post by Fusilliban » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 pm

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:36 pm
Our campaign is fairly unique in that it is assumed that there are always exactly 2 weeks between missions...
I've always interpreted this as... it's not that no time passes, but rather that that time is assumed to be a wash - that's the character going about their daily non-adventuring life, and for simplicity's sake we assume they neither make nor lose money, that they don't do anything Legend-worthy, etc.