AAR: Runic Circles - Windling...
GM: Jason
Circle: 2
Difficulty: M
Thread item points: 3

Aegharan: 800 LP, 230 silver.
Romari: 800 LP, 230 silver
Maxim, 800 Legend, 230 Silver, Ape-hair stuffed pillow
Rilya: 800 LP, 230 silver, Metal ball Thread Item (16 Thread Item Points)
Osahar: 800 LP, Ivory elven warbow thread item (15 thread item points)

Aegharan & Romari & Maxim & Rilya & Osahar - Runic Circles -> Windling mark - 1 year + 1 day

Downtime Skills available:
Alchemy: 7 (rank 3)
Animal Bond 7 (Rank 1)
Research 13 (+4 with Speed Reading spell) (+3 from Throal library, 20sp)
Forge Weapon: 14 (Rank 3)
Item History: 14 (Rank 3)
Craftsman: 18 (For mundane items)
Animal Training: 8 (Rank 1)

Info discovered -> Windling Rune - Illusion ritual in Rune Circle
Play my game jam games - made by one person in a limited time frame (usually 48 hours)

CodexDragon

Re: AAR: Runic Circles - Windling...

Post by CodexDragon » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 am

notes submitted by Osahar

Rilya wanted to go back and check out the runic circle we had found while searching for a location for a new Windling town (see my previous journal entry. I went along with her as well as Aegharan, the Elven Illusionist, Romari, an Elven Wizard, and Maxim, a Windling Thief.

We first headed to Borgan's Rest and spent the night. The next morning we headed for the runic circle and found some sort of protective barrier had been erected around the area. Romari was able to pierce the barrier long enough for all of us to jump through. Once inside we searched around. Rilya started in on translating the words on the circle - some sort of instructions and some cooking recipes. Aegharan, Romari, and Maxim spent a lot of time staring off into space and talking about astral stuff.

While they were doing that, I started a small fire. I looked up and a cloaked figure had appeared out of nowhere. He did not seem threatening and introduced himself as Piabach. We spoke with him a bit and he wanted to hear stories from us, but before we could get into that Aegharan was able to figure out the magic on the circle. He studied it a bit and was able to cast the spell from the circle on all of us. We all now have a mark from the circle that will last for a year and a day. The mark is octagon shaped with a wedge of it a bit sparkly. The riddle and the octagon imply there are seven more of these circles and that by visiting and solving all of them will grant you access to some place.

After that we told Piabach our stories and each of us received a token of appreciation from him. Mine was a crystal coin with the imge of an ornate ivory warbow inside. Piabach said to bury it overnight and see if somethign special happened. At the end of the stories, Piabach suddenly seemed apprehensive, bid us farewell, and stepped into the fire and disappeared. Ou camp was then attacked by 5 apes. We killed one and drove the other four off. Knowing they were still around, we packed up, left the area, broke back through the ward, and made camp.

We all buried our tokens, but then a wisp came through camp and stole all of them. It led us on a merry chase before giving up on the tokens and scattering them. We were able to recover my token and Rilya's, but the rest were lost. We made our way back to camp and buried them again. This time I slept on top of mine. In the morning I was awakened by a most uncomfortable object beneath me, an elven warbow. Rilya got some sort of metal ball. Since we were in the area, we stopped by Bortuk's pyre to pay our respects. The trip back to Borgan's Rest and then to Throal was uneventful.

Arikail

Post by Arikail » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:53 am

Runic Circles - Windling...., a journal entry by Rilya, Windling Weaponsmith

A most fascinating discovery, and a puzzle to solve. My fingers tingle as I write this. In my tale of Bortruk's fall, I believe I mentioned about a mysterious circle we had uncovered near the location we finally picked for the Windling village. After poring over the engravings he had taken, I have decided it is time to return once again and make sense of this circle. I found a few others willing to accompany me (the eaves of the jungle are dangerous, even though it is only barely within it's confines). Setting off with me were two others from that excursion, Aegharan the Elven Illusionist and Osahar the Elven Scout, as well as Maxim (Windling Thief, though maybe better at scouting), and Romari, Elven Wizard (his Astral senses may be very useful on this endeavor).

Borgan's Rest is, as always the first stop for any trip south of Throal of any duration, and this time is no different. This is the first time Romari and Maxim have been here. Sggib (what an odd name, I wonder how his parents came up with it) and Egdew (the people who have settled in Borgan's Rest have some creative naming practices) were on guard. Though accompanied by known people free of Horror taint, the standard ritual of greeting must be performed. It took a few tries, but we satisfied them with our craftsmanship. Nothing of note has happened in the town recently, but it is nice to spend time visiting.

Setting out from the village, it was easy to follow the route we took last time. This time, however, I made a gorgeous map of the path (that I think I will be hanging onto). As we got closer to the place, something seemed strange about it, and Osahar stopped just before a crackle of magical energy took off his nose!! Maxim and Romari examined the area, finding a barrier that had been set up around the place. It wasn't there before. I wonder who set it. We did find the runes it was linked to, and they made a very complete enclosure. With some studying and thought, Romari was able to pierce it just briefly, long enough for us all to slip through before it closed behind us.

Continuing to the circle, we found nothing amiss. The writing itself was interesting, listing off a series of recipes, 10 of them, in fact, as well as a strange riddle, as such:
"We live in harmony of all the races, all together as one.
After passing the test of the races, proceed to the heart and unlock the key to our home."
As I transcribed it, and Romari, Maxim, and Aegharan worked on the Astral presence of the circle, Osahar set up a fire at the campsite nearby. I found one recipe that seemed particularly interesting, and as I flew over to see if Osahar could try it out while we fiddled with things (he did, and it was AWFUL!!!), I found him in conversation with a strange man. He introduced himself as Piabach, and said he had a Faire. He was congenial, and as we talked, he asked for stories, offering treasures for the best told one. It was at that time that Aegharan had his ah hah moment, and deciphered the spell that was warding the place. The magical show on the Astral was impressive, I hear. Sometime I shall have to return when I am better able to observe it. The result of the spell left each of us marked with a similar symbol, though in different places. It is some sort of Pattern mark, it seems. Quite intriguing.

After that, we returned to Piabach to tell our stories (and to find he had prepared a wonderful stew in our absence, which was very reminiscent of the recipe I had presented to Osahar earlier, but much better tasting), the completion of which earned each of us a small token from the man. His instructions were to plant it when we sleep and something will happen. Mine showed a small metal ball inscribed with runes.

As the stories were completed, the strange man said it was time for him to go, and he quickly stepped into the fire and disappeared as some large shapes moved towards us from the trees. The apes from our last visit, or probably the same group, but not the same ones, had come to bedevil us. They were dispatched quickly, our spellcasters, Maxim, and Osahar showing great proficiency in chasing them away (or taking them down outright). Sadly, I am still haunted by my true lack of combat capability. I rushed in and stabbed one, but it left little more than a scratch, and that one and another gave me some bruises and worse that I won't soon forget. I continue to think that perhaps I'd have been better off learning magic. Maybe I'll seek out a teacher and see if I can learn that gift.

Afterwards, we left the barrier, finding a new place to settle down for the night. Before we had much of a chance, some mystic wisp flew in and absconded with our just buried tokens. Maxim was the first to give chase, and without him, I fear we would have lost it and them altogether. It was long, and tiring, but in the end, we did catch up with it. Sadly, we were only able to recover two of them, mine and Osahar's. Perhaps Piabach will be able to grant new ones to Romari, Maxim, and Aegharan. Replanting the ones we had, the rest of the night passed without incident.

Upon waking the next morning, the planted tokens were replaced by curious items. Mine looked like the ball depicted on the token, standing nearly to my knee. Ixran wasn't happy having he strapped on with everything else, but he bore the load. The rest of the trip was uneventful. We did visit Bortruk's Pyre, and I returned his etchings to him.

I feel there is more to this. But I won't say more here, until I've had time to investigate things. I do have a couple leads I wish to check out.

(Included with this journal submission are the ten recipes found in the circle, as follows:

Pickled Giant Fish
Cooked Fluffy Gecko
Dried Faceless Badger
Shallow-Fried Spark Grasshopper
Golden Mustard & Garlic Cookies
Thunder Stew Of Surprise
Kelpie Waffles
Jörmungandr Soufflé
Iklatil Bread
Feggomia Bonbons

Thus shall they be preserved by the Great Library for the enjoyment of all.)

nathaniel

Post by nathaniel » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:26 am

From the journal of Romari Savre, Wizard

I was asked to help examine a standing circle of Windling design by Rilya, a Windling Weaponsmith. We went to examine it with Osahar an Elven Archer, Aegharan an Elven Illusionist, and Maxim a Windling Thief.

We headed south from Throal to a village called Borgan's Rest. My companions were familiar with this location and recommended the mead from the local inn. I wholeheartedly agree with their recommendation, the mead from Borgan's Rest is excellent.

A few days of travel later to the south west we came to a ward of lethargy. After examining it's pattern I was able to determine that a hole could be punched with Dispel Magic and we could dash through the hole I made before it reformed. Doing so was a simple affair and not an hour later we came to this strange circle of standing stones carved with Windling writing.

I began to examine this structure with astral sight but the only thing I could determine is that some sort of Illusionist spell pattern. From there I turned the investigation over to Aegharan as this was his sphere of influence. It took him but a moment to realize that it was like a illusionist grimoire and with some simple threadweaving and patterncrafting he was able to attune and cast the spell within. Doing so marked us with an illusionist variant of a Wizards Mark, a octagon with 1/8 of it filled in.

As I examined my new piece of temporary artwork I noticed the visitor my companions, an Adept named Piabach. He asked of us a story, and so each of us in turn told him a tale. Now I am no Troubadour but I told him my story, as poor a storyteller that I am. In exchange for each of our tales he gave us a token (mine was a coin with the image of a grimoire within). Were were told to bury it near where we took our rest this evening. When all the stories were done he sudden;y got up, bid us a good day and vanished into the campfire that Osahar had built.

We realized why he had taken his leave rather quickly when some of the local denizens greeted us, five apes of the poo flinging variety. It was a simple task to drive them off, spell flew as did arrows and might blows of windling fury showed these beasts not to trifle with adepts. With all but one of the apes driven off (the windling were furious and bloodthirsty, killing one before it could flee). We made our way out from beneath the lethargy barrier (thanks again to my Dispelling) and headed back towards Borgan's Rest making camp a few hours away from the windling standing stone circle.

As we were told we burred our tokens near to where we were going to camp for the evening. As we did so a wisp claimed each of them or the coins turned into wisps (I'm not sure I wasn't really paying attention, I though I saw some Iradonis Viritalia off the path and my fellow alchemists know how useful that particular plant is). Needless to say our group gave a merry chase of these orbs of light through the woods. It was all quite strenuous and exhilarating but sadly we were only able to recover two of the coins (Oshar's and Rilya's). They reburied their coins and decided to sleep on them to keep them in their hole. And like the magic beans of Johans Fable they turned into, well not a ladder to the nether-realm of air like the stories, an item of questionable lineage. A bow for the archer and a rune covered ball for Rilya.

Our trip back to Throal was quiet and uneventful. We drank or fill of mead at Borgan's Rest which fortified us for the travel back home.

I could tell that the dubious items my companions received were thread items of some sort and when I got back to town I helped research their properties. I will leave you to ask my companions what threaded items they received.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:48 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Osahar, Rilya, and Romari for their contributions.

Journal Rewards: 40 Legend Points and 57 Silver

Aegharan

Post by Aegharan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:37 am

Journal of Aegharan, Illusionist of Third Circle

We set out to investigate the Runic Circle we found at Bortruk's Rest, the Windling's village prospective location. "We" was comprised of my trusty companions Rilya and Osahar, the Weaponsmith and Archer, as well as Maxim, another Windling who follows the Way of the Thief and proved useful as a Scout, and Romari Savre, an Elven Wizard, whose Astral Sight is worth every Silver he spent training. Maybe I should try this myself, so that I don't have to rely on manipulating others, but can dig deeper towards manipulating reality itself. We will see what Throal's other Illusionists have to say about this.

Rilya hat spent some time with Bortruk's carvings and my rubbings of the inscribed runes and concluded that it was written in windling.

After hitting up Borgan's Rest we headed westward. My mind seems little occupied with visiting Bortruk's Rest and somehow my family blocked the rest of my thoughts. So I did not notice the magical barrier that was set up and that nearly fried parts of Osahar. Romari was able to grant us passage without much of a problem.

After reaching the runic circle, Rilya started to translate the runes and concluded that it was a kind of riddle, along with 10 recipes. The recipes can be found in Rilya's journal entry. The riddle reads: "We live in harmony of all the races, all together as one. After passing the test of the races, proceed to the heart and unlock the key to our home."
Osahar tried to cook up one of the recipes, but it tasted awful. Some man who introduced himself as Piabach stood by Osahar talking to him, while Romari and I worked on figuring out the magic behind the circle. I concluded that the runic circle had a spell inscribed. So i tried to attune to the circle, using it as a Grimoire. I sensed it to be a little harder than the spells I already know, but managed it just fine.

We then positioned ourselves at the right spot, hoping to have read everything right and not face the dire consequences promised by the runes. I offered to be the only one standing in that spot to test the spell, but the others joined me to my delight. The spell required 3 threads to be woven which worked without much fuss. After a small flash of light each of us got an octagonal symbol on our bodies, some on the hand or arm, mine is on my upper arm. One eighth of the circle, a part in the bottom, glows. The symbol seems to be an illuionist variant of a Magician's mark, which is a wizard's version of a horror mark, I think. The good thing is that the symbol quickly faded and can be made visible by concentrating upon it.

We went back to the fire and showed Piabach our marks, who was quite interested and happy that we solved the riddle. He had remade the dish that Osahar tried and it tasted extraordinarily good. We then shared stories of our adventures and got a small token from Piabach in return. Mine was a kind of crystalline coin, that held an oar inside, that transformed to a coloured feather and back all the time. He told us to bury it overnight to receive a surprise in the morning. Suddenly Piabach said that he has to leave and stepped into the fire, vanishing. We immediately noticed shadows moving through the trees. It was the Apes we encountered before in this same spot. We easily put them to flee.

That night we all buried our tokens, but were woken up to a kind of wisp. We gave great chase, Maxim flying up and helping us navigate through the jungle, jumping over brushes and climbing as fast as we can. We caught up with the wisp, but were only to recover 2 of our tokens, Rilya's and Osahar's. When we got back to our camp they buried their token again, this time sleeping directly ontop of it. In the morning they woke up to Rilya's token being replaced by the metal-ball that was shown inside it and Osahar to the Elven Warbow he could see within the token before. I wonder what that Oar/Rainbow-Feather would have been.

Upon returning to Throal I spent some time in the library researching the runic circle, its inscription and whatever clues came to mind. There seems to be a connection to the City of Homsa - Land of the Peaceful Junction of races. They frequently put octagons in their city designs and puzzles as a representation of the 8 name giver races.

I found clues towards these pairings:

Windling - Illusionism
T'skrang - Nethermancer
Obsidian - wizard
Dwarf - Elementalism
Troll - Nethemancer
Human - Wizard
Elf - Elemenatalism
Ork - Illusionism

If I connected all the right pieces, there will be 7 other circles and some kind of centerpiece. If I'm further right and we find the centerpiece, we might be able to deduct the other circles' position. I think that our mark lighting up in the lower left corner and us being south-west of Throal might be connected. We will see if I'm right if the centerpiece and another circle is found and we can have a look at the mark somebody gets from the next circle and what happens if somebody who has a mark already gets another mark.

On the other hand this might all just be an elaborate prank or the most impractical cookbook ever.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:13 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Aegharan for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 40 Legend Points and 57 Silver