None
Researchers may spend 20/2 Silver for +3 Steps

Further Information:
The missing Kaer has been located.

ottdmk

Re: AAR: X Marks the Kaer

Post by ottdmk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:13 pm

From the battle logs of Bobitanthalnasatrythomoloso:

For this job the Dwarves of Kaer Biharj requested assistance in tracking down another Kaer. We accompanied one of them on an expedition to a spot on an old map that supposedly showed the lost Kaer's location.

Naturally, we ran into problems right from the start. Firstly, we had to climb up a cliff after leaving the river. Climbing is not a particularly strong suit of mine; perhaps I should practice some in case it comes up again. While I was climbing the others were attacked atop the cliff by some giant spiders. We eventually fought them off after I managed to join the fray.

Then, while I was on watch, we were attacked by jub-jubs. I was fortunate to notice them stalking us, so I was able to prepare for battle and wake my sleeping companions. The jub-jubs have a very nasty paralytic poison; I really should have taken one of my antidotes for the fight. Fortunately, I was not bitten although Jael was.

Moving on, we arrived at the map's location and were attacked by crocodiles. Sigh. I hate crocodiles. Regardless, we made short work of the beasts.

There was definitely no Kaer at that location. Looking more closely at the map, we determined it had been deliberately altered. The map had directions for "South side of the mountain." There was definitely a different word originally under where the word "South" was now written (in a different hand then the rest of the sentence, no less!) As the word "South" was seemingly the same length as the erased word, we elected to check the North side of the mountain. There we discovered the Kaer entrance.

Mission accomplished, we returned to Kaer Biharj and then back to Throal. It will be interesting to see what comes of this; somebody attempted to hide the Kaer from Biharj. I wonder why?

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:35 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Bobitanthalnasatrythomoloso for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 70 Legend Points and 92 Silver

Reyntrannin

Post by Reyntrannin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:50 pm

The Chronicled Narratives of Dainwennan Niebo, Hero Extraordinaire

With the dawning of a new day, adventure once again beckons. The dwarven scholars of Kaer Bhiharj have lost one of their sister kaers, and do not know where to find it. They have dispatched a request for assistance which I, of course, immediately responded to, along with a few other Adepts of my acquaintance. Bob was once again travelling with me, and although he does not have the wondrous gift of the air, has shown himself to be a doughty companion who does not let his shortcomings slow him (at least no more than he can help). I was also joined by a Beastmaster Named Jael. He is quiet but seems well liked by his animal companions. (His wolf was particularly memorable, displaying some kind of bond with the earth element that I have not seen before.) There was also a fellow Swordmaster, one Stathin, who, though an Elf, did not seem to find it necessary to harass me to show my allegiance to his Queen (as if I did not already have one of my own). He is young, and not so put upon by the sadness I’ve seen in his kin, so perhaps that explains it.

The dwarves managed to secure river transport to an area somewhat to the west of Throal, which let us off near the site shown on their maps for the lost kaer. The fun began almost immediately upon disembarking, as a small pack of hunting spiders attempted to make us their supper. We had little difficulty driving them off, although the cliffside we had to scale did prove to be a bit of a hindrance for the less agile of my companions (I truly feel sorry for Bob but admire the stoic way he accepts being bound to the earth). Once up and away, we began following our guide, a young dwarf whose name I never quite heard, as he was forever walking around with his face stuck in a map.

That evening, during Bob’s watch, we were set upon by a small group of jub-jubs, poisonous toad-like creatures. We once again were able to drive the beasts off, but Jael was afflicted by their poison, fortunately, he proved too cumbersome for the beasts to make off with him once he was rendered insensible, so he recovered soon afterward.

Finally reaching the spot indicated on the map, we began searching about for a kaer entrance, or other indicator that a kaer had been here, but instead, we only found a nest of crocodiles. The animals were agitated by our intrusion, and we were forced to put them down if did not wish to become their dinner.

After verifying that there was definitely no kaer at this place, we took a closer look at the map our guide had been following. Rather than having the spot marked directly on the map, it just had some directions. Directions which, upon close examination, had been altered. Where the map said “South”, there was some indication that once the word was slightly different, and the new word did not match the hand that had written the old instructions. It was a clever bit of forgery but could not stand up to our sleuthing skills. Reading the word as “North” instead, we traversed the mountain used as a landmark and found the entrance exactly where we thought it would be. Not having a Knock spell or any instructions on how to actually open the kaer, we left it be and returned home, first visiting Kaer Bhiharj to inform that we found their lost kaer.

BattleChad

Post by BattleChad » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:54 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Dainwennan for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 70 Legend Points and 92 Silver