AAR: A Vision Softly Creeping

*ARCHIVED* Sub-forum for the original West Marches Discord campaign

Moderator:etherial

Reyntrannin

Post by Reyntrannin » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:12 am

Time: 2018-09-05 @ 23:00 GMT (7:00 PM EDT)
GM: ReynTrannin
Circle: 6
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Quis'Tan: 6800 Legend, 1200 sp, 3 TIPs
Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar: 6,800 Legend, 1000 sp, 3 TIPs, Earth Wall spell

GM Reward:
Blaethynn,6,000 Legend, 850 sp, 1 TIP

Downtime Actions:
Quis'tan: Item History step 13 rank 3
Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar: Research 9
Can teach Elementalism, Barsaive History, Scourge History, Haggle, Physician

Additional notes:
Avalan has discovered the story of Nishiki, an elemental who was corrupted before the Scourge and may be the author of Kaer Resnick's troubles.
Avalan has sworn to travel to the grave of Haldistan to allow the elemental that empowers his cloak to pay her respects.
Last edited by Reyntrannin on Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ender3rd

Re: AAR: A Vision Softly Creeping

Post by ender3rd » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:04 pm

From a report filed by Quis'Tan with the Throalic library:

What can I say about this incident; it was a vision quest into an astral pocket, often called an astral seeking. I will not give the Name of the spirit which chose to bring us there nor that of any other Name I learned. However, the experience is worth relating, even if only to add one more confusing experience to the long list already in the library's shelves.

Avalandohamagannahnieventhallailmar, known to most as Avalan, wished to investigate the going on of Kaer Resnik and in particular "the mother". I too, wished that the matter of the possible invae, possible horrors, definite threat be investigated. It turns out to be a powerful corrupted spirit - but that is for later.

Invoking a spirit whose Name he had learned Avalan negotiated with it for passage bodily into the astral and, in particular, to the outer edge of the domain of our host. Avalan's spirit seemed to insist on a sense of humor from us and required proof of our knowledge of the friend for which the spirit had been voluntarily bound. Once we did this he forced Avalan to swear a blood promise to visit a particular grave, which we hope to fulfill presently.

As expected from our research our first task was to convince a Gatekeeper to let us through the Gate. In this case an apparent stawman with quite a foul mouth. He appeared at a carriage stop as the driver of a carriage. Avalan and he engaged in existential philosophizing, then challenged us to "play a game". These were challenges particular to each of us, the details of which will not assist any future namegivers who may read this report; thus I withhold them.

The first "stop" was a cave wherein three wolves acted as judge and lawyers over a mole. All seemed agreed to execute the mole most painfully. Attempts to plead for the general value of life were in vain. In response to Avalan's "subtle" suggestion, I went outside and prepared to charge. On his sign, I did so. As my axe landed on the head of the judge wolf we clearly failed the trial and were punished.

The second stop was a fairly open room with what can only be described as a sword/wind elemental. He summoned two pillars and told us to proceed, with no actual instruction. Avalan investigated the two pillars, one blank, the other with a complex spell Pattern inscribed into it. The Patterns were a spell to control stone formations. After some short discussion Avalan attuned the first pillar as a grimoire and cast the spell to ingrain the pattern into the once-blank pillar.

The penultimate scenario was three elemental constructs which questioned us on our actions. We defended ourselves fairly well and convinced two of them of our value. The third insisted on fighting. Any people wonder why I have no patience for you younglings. After a brief fight, Avalan remembered that elemental constructs are still elementals and used his Elemental Hold power to stop the fight. The construct considered that a good reply to "show me what you've got" and let us proceed.

Finally, we were in the presence of the spirit which we journeyed to meet. There was some irrelevant talk between Avalan and it but the key takeaways were that the spirits fled Barsaive to avoid corruption, that one of his "sisters" did not leave and was corrupted, that this is the likely source of the "mother" of Kaer Resnik, and that the spirit will happily provide moral support to destroy or purify her.

Thus was our seeking concluded.

BattleChad

Re: AAR: A Vision Softly Creeping

Post by BattleChad » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:27 pm

The Great Library of Throal thanks Quis'Tan for his contribution.

Journal Rewards: 340 Legend Points and 300 Silver