We went to the ladies morning room and I got a much more careful look at the scene. I retrieved the pearl I had spotted earlier, and sure enough it was a cheap faux pearl button. We think it likely that it might have been dropped by (one of) the persons who demolished the desk and stole the papers, but other than the pearl being cheap and faux, there was nothing to tell whether it came from a man or woman's outfit. We all quickly compared the observations we had made.
- The desk had been blown up. There was no gunpowder residue. Nobody had heard an explosion. The explosion had been perfectly applied. The explosion and the debris were contained in a perfect circle centered on the desk. The desk was utterly and completely destroyed, and many of the papers that were left behind (all unimportant) were very damaged, thus it seems not unlikely that the demolitionist knew exactly where in the desk the papers were being kept, that implies that there may have been some inside knowledge at play.
- McFly was positive that despite the lack of residue, the explosive device must have been physical, rather than magical. The expertness with which the demolition force was made and applied, combined with the noise muting shield suggests a Brassman, working with a Mage.
- Christina and Wilferd Carnalls, human, out of date clothing, very unhappy about rabbit hole and especially the British only administering of it. Want other governments involved.
- Milford Blult, elf, trying, but clothing not up to snuff.
- Lauretta Connor - elf, very fancy, showy clothing. Clearly husband hunting.
- Jonathan Jephcots - Human - appropriate clothing.
- Lord George Fitsgerald, human, big game hunter, wonderful fellow, interested in my pictures and stories. Some of clothes a bit worn. Political aspersions.
- Lord Gilbert Morrissey, Snark, excellent clothes. In House of Lords, eclipsed and influence falling since LGF.
- Ossie Watson, human, faux pearl.
- Whites, human couple - newlyweds, Smyth noticed Annabell snuck off in 2nd coarse. Benjamin, is military officer, over the moon in love. Says wife Anabelle is scatterbrained, but thinks it is adorable.
- O'Callaghans, Clarence human, Delphine is troll. Smyth noticed Delphine obviously nervous anytime rabbit hole related topics are mentioned.
Only three people we know of who are mages are Erika, her date Lord Sters, and Lady Augustas Ladies Maid. We considered the Ladies Maid as a suspect, but I did not see it. It is one of the most trusted positions in the household, and she would not need to destroy the desk at a banquet. She could have quietly opened the desk at any time, copied the papers, and quietly replaced them. Since we think each of the three known mages are unlikely, we are looking for more mages.
Smyth informs us that Major White is, of course, not a naval officer, nor wearing landship or engineering ribbons, so he is unlikely to have brassman experience. We have no information that any of the guests are skilled Brassmen.
Lord Bruce is pro-magic and pro rabbit hole, Bruce might be trying to bolster Morrissey career.
Smyth walked in on Annabelle White in the library, riffling papers. She pulled out a notebook and said "Ah Ha, what do you know".