Gruv Lancer Snail

Discussion of GMing 1879. Warning: Here there be spoilers!
Slimcreeper
Gruv Lancer Snail

Post by Slimcreeper » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:20 pm

A creature (1st draft for workshopping)

Gruv Lancer Snail
This spiral-shelled monstrosity is the size of a bull mastif. The shell is usually patterned with dark and light stripes to make it more difficult to spot in the foliage. Slow but deadly, the Gruv Lancer Snail is an ambush hunter. When prey comes close enough, it launches a poisoned dart with enormous force. The barbed dart is attached to the snail with a tough tube of tissue that it can retract, pulling its victim close enough to bite. The Gruv Lancer smells out game trails and positions itself alongside them. The thing is, they might decide the path to the privy outside the barracks is a game trail, for they will happily eat a man.

They don’t bite off chunks, though. They have prehensile radula, like a foot-long tongue covered with rasp-like teeth. They literally lick the flesh from your bones.

As an aside, it is believed that the dart is the same mechanism the male snail uses to fertilize the female.

DEX: 4 Initiative: 6 Unconsciousness: 34
STR: 7 Physical Defense: 7 Death Rating: 40
TOU: 8 Mystic Defense: 9 Wound Threshold: 10
PER: 3 Social Defense: 7 Knockdown: NA
WIL: 5 Physical Armor: 12 Recovery Tests: 2
CHA: 3 Mystic Armor: 2
Movement: 5
Attack: 12
Actions: 1; Lance (range 5 yards, Damage 12 + poison, once only); Bite (Damage 10, special damage to armor)
Powers:
Enhanced Sense: Olfactory. Step 8.
Stealthy Stride. Step 8.
Conceal Weapon. Lance only. Step 8
Surprise Strike. Lance only. Strain 1, +4 to lance damage.
Barbed Dart:
Barbs: if the dart causes a wound, it is embedded in the victim, connecting the two by a 5 yard-long flexible tube of tough tissue. The tube has the same physical defense as the snail and a barrier rating of 10, but no armor. The snail can disconnect the tube from itself at will. Once fired, the dart cannot be used again. The snail will grow a new one over the next 24 hours. Pulling free of the dart requires a strength test against DN (6). Pulling free does step 5 damage against which no armor protects. A physician can remove the dart without causing additional damage as though treating a wound.
Lancer Poison. Step 7 paralytic vs MD. 1 to 2 success equals -1 to -2 penalty to all tests. 3 or more success equals paralyzed for effect step hours.
Retract Barbed Dart. This is similar to a Grab and Bite attack, except the dart also pulls the victim close enough to bite.
Rasping Bite. If a bite attack does no damage due to armor, the armor rating is reduced by 1 point until it is repaired.
Weakness:
Fleshy Bits. On a called shot, an attack against the snail hits its body instead of its shell, completely bypassing the armor.

Andrew1879

Re: Gruv Lancer Snail

Post by Andrew1879 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:40 am

That is obnoxious, weird, and funny in a deranged sort of way. I like it. Have you looked at the Earthdawn 3E rules for Creature Creation? They're the foundational mechanic for 1879 creature building. We're still working on adapting them, or I'd post a sneak peek.

Jake Reeves

Post by Jake Reeves » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:28 am

Interesting, thanks for sharing!
You may find great opportunities there. Maybe it's time to consult at dentalprofy? This month everyone have a chance to visit a dentist for free. See, no worries at all.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Thanks! I've literally wanted to use a radula on some sort of beastie since high school.

TheWanderingJewels

Post by TheWanderingJewels » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:43 pm

That is weird enough that I must use it at some point. 'Death by snail' has a ring to it. And lets not mention magical frogs with even more poisonous skins....

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:11 am

Let me know how it fairs! It probably needs some balancing stats-wise.

herringbu

Post by herringbu » Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:46 pm

Since high school, I've actually wanted to use a radula on some kind of beastie. geometry dash scratch

barbarajameson

Post by barbarajameson » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:37 pm

Discovering Valhalla Vitality's comparison of Tirzepatide and Metformin https://valhallavitality.com/blog/tirze ... e-overview was a game-changer in my diabetes management journey. The clear and concise breakdown of their differences gave me the confidence to choose the right medication for my needs. I highly recommend this informative resource to anyone navigating their treatment options.