Multiple Professions

Information and discussion for players of the game. No spoilers here please!
daniel_a
Multiple Professions

Post by daniel_a » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:42 pm

Hello
It's me again, with a question that I got while writing down stats for GMCs. Is it possible for someone to have multiple professions in 1879, like it is with Disciplines in Earthdawn? I couldn't find anything about it in the rulebooks.
The case is an aristocrat who once was a cavalry officer. Of course I could use one profession, and then use Free Skills to make him skilled enough to act within the other profession as well. It's more that I am curious if multi professions is something that will be possible in later books?

/Daniel

Andrew1879

Re: Multiple Professions

Post by Andrew1879 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:27 pm

We're looking into how to do this, and to also handle paradigm shifts, which are the equivalent of Discipline crises, and switching Professions entirely with a Career Change. The mechanics for this are still under development. The idea is to get it sorted out soon enough to include in the Players Companion. It's certainly possible to follow more than one Profession. In real life, I'm an IT manager as well as a rolegaming line developer. Balancing the two in terms of time available and skill development is a major issue. We can't really use the rationale from the multi-Discipline rules for Earthdawn, as there is no Legend to tie yourself to, and Skills don't advance the same way as Talents.

daniel_a

Post by daniel_a » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes, that difference between Talents and Skills (and between Disciplines and Professions) were one (two) of the reasons I started wondering about it. I wasn't sure it was doable, at least not in the same way as in Earthdawn, with Professions in 1879. In the particular case I am working with at the moment, it is easily done with the help of Free Skills (a retired Military Officer from the Cavalry who is also an Aristocrat).
The image I get with more than one Profession is someone who get a new job, and has to learn new skills for that. Of course, you don't forget your old skills when you do, but it is rare to have work in two professions at the same time (unless you're a RPG developer I guess ...). In my mind, though, Aristocrat isn't a proper Profession, but that might be a bit my own views reflected in that opinion.
In my opinion multi discipline possibilities is more important in Earthdawn then multi profession possibilities in 1879, thanks to Free Skills.
And again, thanks for an enlightening answer!

xeniate

Post by xeniate » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:59 am

This adds a layer of emotional connection to the story that spacebar clicker was missing in the original, making the experience much more engaging and impactful.

Gand1984

Post by Gand1984 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:47 am

In the core rulebooks of 1879, there is no explicit mention of characters having multiple professions as a standard mechanic like the Disciplines in Earthdawn. Each character in 1879 is typically associated with a single profession splatoon 3, which represents their primary area of expertise and training.

jaylohman

Post by jaylohman » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:44 am

If you are curious about multi profession that will be possible in later books, let's access bloxd io to have useful information about this topic.

jannickz

Post by jannickz » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:24 am

There is no specific rule for having multiple professions in 1879, but there is nothing that explicitly prohibits it either. So, it is technically possible for a character to have multiple professions.

tonyadams

Post by tonyadams » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:21 am

From what I've known, the 1879 RPG by FASA Games did not have explicit contexto rules for characters having multiple professions in the same way that Earthdawn handles Disciplines.

otis

Post by otis » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:18 am

the 1879 system is flexible, and basketbros Game Masters (GMs) have some leeway to adapt and customize the rules to suit their campaign settings.

andreen

Post by andreen » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:38 am

Subway surfers online is perfect for players of all ages – it's simple to grasp but challenging to master.