Craftsman, Magical Tools

Information and discussion for players of the game. No spoilers here please!
LexiLiegh
Craftsman, Magical Tools

Post by LexiLiegh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:30 pm

Just curious as to what kind of things would be considered magical tools and what they'd be capable of.
Minion of GMAndi

Hey all, if you really enjoy these journals come check us out live or recorded. www.twitch.tv/gamemasterandij

Be warned, we are rated A+, for Andi(she trained me). We are also very educational.

ChrisDDickey

Re: Craftsman, Magical Tools

Post by ChrisDDickey » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:07 pm

I have been wondering this myself.

The spellcasting chapter starts with a note that sometimes a magician uses a tool to help set the pattern of a spell. So if a KaV states that a Clairvoyance spell requires a crystal ball or a special mirror or whatever, so this might be a catch-all skill for constructing any such spellcasting props.

Another possibility is that this allows cheaper construction / furnishing of enchanting workshops and/or alchemy labs. However magicians don't have ether craft device or alchemy as core or optional skills, so it seems ... I don't know.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:33 pm

I have this house rule, but haven't had the opportunity to test it:

Craft Tools (Artisan, Craftsman, Magical, Scientific)
Custom craftsman, magical and scientific tools can be created for specific tasks. The TN is chosen based on the TN table in the GMG page 160.

Type of task.....TN.....Cost of Tool.....Max Bonus.....Size of Tool
Ordinary..........5..........£10...............1...............Hand-held
Novice...............7..........£20...............2...............Backpack
Journeyman.....12..........£30...............3...............Chest
Warden..........16...............£50..........4...............Carriage
Master...............20..........£80..........5....................Room

Increasing the size of the tool decreases the TN by 2 per size level. The cost increases to match the larger size. For example, a Journeyman Tool would typically be the size of a chest and have a TN 12 to create. Making that same Journeyman tool the size of a room would decrease the TN to 8 but increase the cost to £80.

Decreasing the size of the tool increases the TN by 2 per size level. Making a Journeyman tool small enough to hold in one’s hand would increase the TN to 16. The cost doesn’t change.

For each success, the tool will grant +1 to tests to a specific use of a skill. A magical tool would not give a bonus to Magic Theory, it would provide a bonus to studying magicians' grimoires. A specialized spanner would not give a bonus to Mechanics, it would give a bonus to repairing vehicular microsteam engines.
Last edited by Slimcreeper on Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew1879

Post by Andrew1879 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Chris is right with it being a catch-all. This is very much determined by the Lodge of the magician. A Theosophist would carry an attuned crystal, a couple of religious symbols from various faiths, and a notebook. A Galvanic Mage would have a meter for reading mana field strength. Wands count as magical tools, as do scrying mirrors, Tarot decks, arcane talismans, and so on. Given the infinite variety of what each magical tradition considers arcane tools, it was easier to leave that vague and let players fill it in. Slim's got an interesting expansion idea, but I would point out that 1879 has no Talents, only Skills.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:45 pm

What? No one wrote talent instead of skill over here …😅

Amos Blackstone

Post by Amos Blackstone » Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:54 pm

So, one would be able to create a tool specifically to assist in forging handguns, in theory? And what skill does one use to create said tool? The skill it is designed to work with?

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:02 pm

I don't think there is a skill for Craft Craftsman's Tools. So yes, in that case I would allow Craft Firearm to craft a barrel jig (or whatever) that would grant a +1 or 2 to forging revolvers. I really would make it that specific, and I wouldn't let different tools stack bonuses. But that's definitely my interpretation of the rules. I like the idea of a gunsmith's shop having racks of custom specialty tools machined for different purposes.

Amos Blackstone

Post by Amos Blackstone » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:50 pm

Me too, just wasn't sure what to use for the test to create them. lol.

ChrisDDickey

Post by ChrisDDickey » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:25 pm

The last three entries seem to be on a totally different topic than the rest of this thread.

Mages get a Novice Core Skill called Craftsman (magical tools). They can use that to forge magic wands, crystal balls, etc. They can't use it to craft a firearms tool, because in general firearms are not magical.

the various Craftsman specialties all require having appropriate tools, workshops, and / or facilities to use. These can be bought. Alternatively one could take Craftsman (tool and die maker) and make them.

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:19 am

It would make sense for Craftsman (Tool/Die Maker) to be created for this purpose. There's enough room in the rules for that. Or Just to let Craft Firearm be used to make the tools, it's up to you.