Weird Scientists

Information and discussion for players of the game. No spoilers here please!
Slimcreeper

Re: Weird Scientists

Post by Slimcreeper » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:41 am

There's room for all kinds of groups and all styles of play. If the players aren't interested in elaborate crafting rules, the GM could definitely hand wave something through and would probably do just fine. I think it could be a good little mini-game for the right players.

It just depends on the style, really. They are more comfortable with a group that takes breaks between adventures. And of course the money - but the money doesn't just have to be loot or pay. Resources can also be acquired through influence, favors, etc.

It can be a concern if parity between characters is a major concern, but 1879 really doesn't seem as concerned with party balance as some games. What matters is that everyone has a role to play. And that something captures everyone's imagination. If the WS doesn't do it for you, no problem! May I suggest investing heavily in a Weird Scientist villain!

ChrisDDickey

Re: Weird Scientists

Post by ChrisDDickey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:53 am

Plus, even if your group does not have a Weird Scientist, it enriches the world and your players understanding of it to have the WS rules out there.

In Earthdawn, I have frequently said that not every party needs to have a Weaponsmith, but every party does need to KNOW a weaponsmith. The Weaponsmith (in my mind) is a great example of, and template for, a magical crafting discipline. In my mind, a lot of the aspiring adepts who don't want to be Adventurers, gravitate towards the Weaponsmith and Air Sailor disciplines, as they are the template for non-adventuring crafting and professional trades. Having the rules right out there where all the players can see them (and if they want play that discipline as adventurers) helps with the world building. They know what NPC Weaponsmiths and Air Sailors can do.

By the same token, having rules for how Weird Scientists work, helps build the world of 1879, even if none of the players in your group choose to play one. They will at least be able to recognize where Weird Devices come from when they encounter them.