AAR: [4M] Dyre Straits (2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT)

The current version of the Earthdawn West Marches Discord campaign, effective Jan 1, 2020

Moderator:etherial

Xzandrate
AAR: [4M] Dyre Straits (2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT)

Post by Xzandrate » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:51 am

LFG: Dyre Straits
Time: 2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT
GM: Xzandrate
Difficulty: 4 Medium

Rumor: Life on the road is hard, but what if you could bring your home with you? Elisen has a plan and the first step to that plan is to befriend a dyre. They've heard that in the town of Synevir, some days west of Sosanopa, there's herders raising the beasts.

Benefit: Dyre companions

Note: Up to 5 players (7:30pm Eastern)
Last edited by Xzandrate on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

sigfriedmcwild

Re: LFG: [4M] Dyre Straights (2020-08-17 @ 23:59 GMT)

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:55 am

This is a secondary character but my request
Name: Elisen
Last played on: 2020-08-15
ECR: 4 (14070lp)
Discipline: Cavalryman 4
Quote/Unique: Deliverance flies on silent wind
Notable Abilities: Zoak power! (and a last chance salve)
Downtime: Animal training step 14 (10 + karma)

redwraith

Re: LFG: [4M] Dyre Straights (2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT)

Post by redwraith » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:24 am

Name: Redsun
ECL: 3
Discipline: Archer
Quote/Unique: Big and hard hitting
Notable Abilities: Bring's the rain
Downtime:

Lashana

Post by Lashana » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:39 am

Name: LaShana
Last played on: 2020-08-6
ECR: 4
Discipline:Thief 4
Quote/Unique: Man that was fun/interesting/exhilarating!!!!! When can we do it again???
Notable Abilities: so much enthusiasm...and I can sneak with my eyes open, and open some doors - maybe even if they are locked. And my bow whispers not sweet mean things 😏😉😈
Downtime: drinking, carousing and rabble rousing

nathaniel

Post by nathaniel » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:42 am

Name: Dale
Last played: 8/8
ECR: 3
Discipline: Illusionist
Notable Abilities: Illusions, Elementalism, Folding Paper, etc.
Downtime: n/a

Note: Secondary character

predajey

Post by predajey » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:02 am

Name: Jarock Hammer-Shield
Last played: Aug 16
ECR: 3
Discipline: Weaponsmith
Quote: "Words?" Grunts disgruntledly and mutters under his breath, "Weaponsmith, not scholar."
Notable Abilities: Tactics(3)
Downtime:
Forge Weapon (ESR 14, Rank 4)
Craftsman (ESR 17, Rank 3)
Item History (ESR 13, Rank 3)

Secondary character
Last edited by predajey on Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

iceface9

Post by iceface9 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:27 am

Name: Killian
Last time you (player) played: 8-16-2020
Circle: 3
Discipline: Warrior
Notable Abilities: Hitting things hard
Downtime: Craft weapon and armor step 8

sigfriedmcwild

Re: LFG: [4M] Dyre Straits (2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT)

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:50 am

Redsun, LaShana, Dale, Killian please help Elisen find the dyre of their dreams

Xzandrate

Re: LFG: [4M] Dyre Straits (2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT)

Post by Xzandrate » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:03 am

AAR: Dyre Straits
GM: Xzandrate
ECR: 4
Difficulty: Medium

Player Rewards:
Elisen: 2200 LP, 375 SP, 3 TIPs
Killian: 2200 LP, 375 SP, 3 TIPs
Dale: 2200 LP, 375 SP, 3 TIPs
LaShana: 2200 LP, 375 SP, 3 TIPs
Redsun: 2200 LP, 375 SP, 3 TIPs

Alternate Rewards:
Dyre animal companion

Journal Reward: +110 LP, +93.8 SP

GM Reward: Moe'uhane (19,000 LP, 900 SP, 3 TIPs)

Downtime:
Elisen: Animal training step 14 (10 + karma)
Killian: Craft weapon and armor step 8

Summary:
The PCs have located the missing Dyre's, they were being guarded by a strange sub-species of Brithan, Tavithans. The Dyre's were being captured and tested on by Brizius Bonecall, a member of The Scourge, he was attempting to cross breed Dyres with Genhis. The players claimed one Dyre and then returned to Synevir and sent Lonesome Keryn to help retrieve the Dyres.

redwraith

Re: AAR: [4M] Dyre Straits (2020-08-18 @ 23:30 GMT)

Post by redwraith » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:11 pm

What is a Dyre? I've not seen one before but they are supposed to be massive beasts that some can train to be mounts. I've not gotten along with most wild animals I've come across and many pack animals are much too small for me to ride. These Dyre's though...they might be just the right size. I might as well go and see one in the wild. In the town of Synevir there are some Dyre herders and a group of us are interested in seeing the Dyre so off we go.

We meet up in Throal before we begin the journey to Synevir. The only person I recognize is Dale the illusionist, LaShana the windling thief who seemed to be talking to someone I couldn't see, Elisen the windling Cavalryman and Killian the Obsidiman warrior. Elisen seems to be the most interested in the Dyres. I think he wants one as his mount? I think he might need a longer lance if he plans on using the Dyre as his mount.

We arrive in Synevir without any issues as the roads were clear of any wild boars. Once we arrived in town we meet with Lonesome Keryn to discuss the Dyre herds and we learn that they have gone missing out in the planes. We gather some dung in an old sack which doesn't smell as bad as it sounds. If we get close enough to them I can sense them but first we have to spend some days searching the planes for any signs of them. I will need to improve my mystic pursuit abilities for use outside of towns.

After several days of searching we come across a grime sight of a string of what appear to be Dyre calf corpses. We also see a few wounded animals being attacked by some kind of birdmen. Elisen charges to the defense of the Dyre and quickly finds out that these birdmen have a breath attack of some kind that smells much worse than Dyre dung. Elisen is quickly brought down as the attack has left him stunned. Killian also moves forward as LaShana and myself move around the flanks to attack the birdmen.

We make relatively quick work of the first couple of birdmen while one of the Dyre calf's seems to find Elisen very interesting. After we approached the melee the Dyre calf seemed to have a lot more teeth than I would of expected and was trying to tear Elisen's arm off. I moved closer to try to distract one of the birdmen from finishing of Elisen. I was maybe too successful as the birdman rushed me after my bolt penetrated his back painfully. His breath attack was very dangerous and I to found myself paralyzed from it's effect. The rest of the party managed to finish off the birdmen and the strange Dyre calf.

After the paralyzation effect wore off we studied the dead dyre calf's and realized they had many more teeth than we expected and that one of them was actually a Genhis. What was going on here? What type of corruption was happening to the Dyre and where did the Genhis come from? A simple search for a Dyre herd seems to be a new mystery for us to solve.

We trace the Dyre tracks back to a small fortified homestead. The homestead seems to be empty but not abandoned as the grounds are all well looked after. The two Windlings enter the two barns and discover a large cage with several of the aggressive toothy Dyre within and a mating cage in the other barn along with some notes. The farm house was empty of people but had several notes and journals written by one Brizius Bonecall who was apparently breeding the Dyre and Genhis. He and his group "The Scourge" were breeding them for some nefarious purpose and Dale decided to take his journal with us for further study.

Killian and myself stayed outside of the farm house to stand guard in case the owners returned while our companions were inside the farmhouse. While I was watching the homestead with my back against the north wall I heard some movement outside. Not just any movement but large beasts? moving through the forest behind the homestead. I quickly alerted the rest and we decided to leave the way we came and try to avoid further battle.

Soon after we left the homestead a group of Tavithans approached us. Elisen tried to calm the beasts and was able to approach one of them and calm him. The rest still seem hostile and were following us...or more accurately Dale. So Dale attempted to approach the Tavithans to show he meant them no harm but they reacted as if he was going to cause them great harm. It turns out that Brizius had left the farmhouse due to the hostile actions of the Tavithans and they now think that Dale is corrupted or a corrupting influence just like Brizius.

We had to pacify the Tavithans which turned out to be very difficult I now know why Brizius left rather than deal with them himself. We were able to knockout 3 of the four but unfortunately we killed one of them. We were once again battered and bleeding. Killian had several gashes that looked dire.

Once we took a minute after the battle to regroup I tried to locate the Dyre herd again and this time I was able to locate them in the woods behind the homestead. What we found was the Dyre's home of knocked down tree's moved into a crude walled fort along with the Tavithans near by. The Tavithans were helping to defend the Dyre from Brizius in the woods. After figuring that my abilities to commune with animals is non existent I kept a safe distance from both groups of beasts. Tiny Elisen approached the Dyre's and was able to befriend one of them and the Dyre seemed to be very welcoming of Elisen and followed him back to Synevir.

Once we arrived back at Synevir we updated Lonesome Keryn about the state and location of the Dyre. We unfortunately weren't able to keep Brizius's journal as the Tavithans destroyed anything that had his taint upon it. Hopefully someone at Throal can provide some more information on The Scourge and Brizius Bonecall. I'm secretly interested in watching a Windling ride a Dyre as a mount should make for an interesting story.