Kickstarter - past and Future

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
etherial
Re: Kickstarter - past and Future

Post by etherial » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:36 pm
As Geekabilly is saying, the size (and even existence) of Vasgothia/Germanies gets on my nerve. Why would Thera go through the troubles of conquering a landlocked place that stretches so far north while leaving the extraordinary fertile lands of the Hispanic peninsula and most of Anatolia untouched?
I've been rereading bits and pieces in prep for a session I'm running tomorrow, and one of the things mentioned in the Vivane Boxed Set is that the Provinces listed in that box (and in the Theran Empire book) are just some of the more prominent Provinces of the Empire. It's entirely possible that those regions are under Theran Dominion and also possible that the native peoples were able to resist Theran control in ways similar to Barsaive or Shosara.

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
In another thread Mataxes said:
Mataxes wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:42 pm
I'm hoping to see that done within the next year. Right now Morgan is focusing on the mechanics for the "Mystic Paths" book (which includes new and reworked Disciplines). "Arcane Mysteries 4e" (working title) is the next one on his plate.
For clarification purposes, am I right to assume that the 'Mystic Path' book will be an 'Adept's way' and include 4ED adaptations of (for example) the Liberator, Purifier and Windmaster/dancer/scout?

And where does the Elven Nations book fit in there? (as in when/between which book can we expect it?).

Also, to continue the discussion about Thera:

As Geekabilly is saying, the size (and even existence) of Vasgothia/Germanies gets on my nerve. Why would Thera go through the troubles of conquering a landlocked place that stretches so far north while leaving the extraordinary fertile lands of the Hispanic peninsula and most of Anatolia untouched?
Well I might have an answer there, firstly Hispania is labled simply as the 'Slithering Wastes' according to the map of Marac in the book so I guess it's a kind of Badlands/Wastes situation. Secondly, Vasgothia was discovered by House Gascilium, not the Theran Empire as a whole. The Gascili wormed their way into Vasgothia and built their fortunes on it, but it's entirely possible that other Theran Houses could have searched for other fertile lands though so I definitely agree with you there. It's also possible that there are other large cultures and empires out there in the East that discourage Theran invasion.
Last edited by Geekabilly on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
For clarification purposes, am I right to assume that the 'Mystic Path' book will be an 'Adept's way' and include 4ED adaptations of (for example) the Liberator, Purifier and Windmaster/dancer/scout?

And where does the Elven Nations book fit in there? (as in when/between which book can we expect it?).
Yes, Mystic Paths will be an Adept's Way style book with 4e versions of several pre-existing Disciplines (the exact list is still being worked out -- there may be one or two new ones as well).

Elven Nations is the next book out, since it's the last of the books promised from the original Kickstarter. Development is mostly done, some chapters have gone off to copy-edits, we're expecting the (hopefully final) drafts for most of the remaining stuff to be delivered by the end of this upcoming weekend.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Geekabilly

Post by Geekabilly » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:50 am

Mataxes wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:33 pm
Bonhumm wrote:

Yes, Mystic Paths will be an Adept's Way style book with 4e versions of several pre-existing Disciplines (the exact list is still being worked out -- there may be one or two new ones as well).

Elven Nations is the next book out, since it's the last of the books promised from the original Kickstarter. Development is mostly done, some chapters have gone off to copy-edits, we're expecting the (hopefully final) drafts for most of the remaining stuff to be delivered by the end of this upcoming weekend.
Will we be getting some tasty previews of Elven Nations soon then? Also can you give us any hints about content? Any new Disciplines or Spells? :D

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:06 pm

So, about these 'Mystic Path' and 'Arcane Mysteries' books:

Are we to expect an actual Kickstarter for those (and would said Kickstarter include more books) or will they just be produced and then sold retail directly?
And if so, when can we expect that Kickstarter?

Thank you.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Here's what the general plan looks like for future books.

We won't be launching a KS for a book until the writing/development are done and it's through preliminary (pre-art) layout. The Kickstarter gets launched for that book, and backers get access to the layout proof right away. There will not be any stretch goals to fund "future" books like we did with the original ED4 KS. We'll keep things lean and focused. Better to do a smaller campaign that completes in a much more timely fashion than the sprawling megalith we ended up with. The numbers might not be as impressive, but I think delivery and reliability are better targets to shoot for.

If, somehow, we have multiple books ready to go at once, then we might KS them together.

Too many popular campaigns end up getting sunk as a result of excitement and quickly meeting the goal, leading to overpromising without figuring out the real costs. We didn't sink, but we've been furiously treading water for too long, and it came close a couple of times. (Shipping is expensive.)

The next KS will be for the Iopos book. We don't know the dates yet, as the book is still being written, but probably early next year.

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:37 am

Mataxes wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:57 pm
The next KS will be for the Iopos book. We don't know the dates yet, as the book is still being written, but probably early next year.
I'm sorry, when you say the next KS (thus AFTER Elven Nations) book will be the Iopos book, do you mean it would go out before Mystic Path and Arcane Mysteries?

Thank you again.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:08 am

Yes.

Mystic Paths and the new Arcane book (whatever the title ends up as) are not as far along in development.

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 pm

I got my polo shirt in the mail yesterday. I like it. Since it is a polo I'll even manage to wear it to work occasionally.

etherial

Post by etherial » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:11 pm

Got mine today. Pic tomorrow.