Multi-Shot Multi-Strike example

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
ChrisDDickey
Multi-Shot Multi-Strike example

Post by ChrisDDickey » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:37 am

There was a request for an example of Multi-Shot in the FAQ/Errata thread. I am replying in a separate thread as I feel it more appropriate usage.

Example Multi-Shot:
A 15th circle Archer, with 15 ranks in Missile Weapons and Second Shot (and all of his other discipline Talents) and lots of ranks in Multi-Shot is facing a big boss and N mooks of various PD. He does the whole normal Archer routine for his first attack. Anticipate Blow, Mystic Aim, Spot Armor Flaw, etc. etc. etc. taking a lot of strain. Finally making a Missile Weapons test and a Flame Arrow test.

He now determines how many potential targets he might want to strike this round with multi-shot. If he is going to be including a target with the highest PD, there is no downside to including all other targets with a lower PD. But you don't want to include a target with a higher PD than your other targets unless you are actually likely to end up shooting at them. You then make a Multi-Shot test against the Highest PD among the targets you specified. The number of successes determines the number of additional 2nd shot targets you can make. You already could make one Second-Shot attack. Lets assume your Multi-Shot test scores 3 successes. This gives you 3 additional Second-Shot attacks you could make, for a total of 4 Second Shot attacks.

The Second Shot attacks may be made against any of the potential targets you specified in your Multi-Shot test. You can keep targeting the same target for as long as you want, and then switch to another target. You can't target anyone you did not specify when making your Multi-Shot tests, if you kill all your specified targets before running out of Second Shots, the extra Second Shots go to waste.

Anticipate Blow only gives a bonus to your first attack per target but can be done against multiple targets. Mystic Aim and Spot Armor flaw can only be done once per round but last the entire round or more but only upon one target, so your bonuses change, but you have less tests per shot. So each of your Second Attack tests are probably just Second Attack followed by Flame Arrow. You are probably going to keep shooting at the first target until you kill it, then switch to another target.

Multi-Strike is very similar, except that all you might have Second Attack, Second Weapon, Momentum Attack, Air Dance Attacks, etc. as well.
Last edited by ChrisDDickey on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bleeding

Re: Multi-Shot Multi-Strike example

Post by bleeding » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello, that was my request.

I understand better now. Thanks a lot :)

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Anticipate Blow can be used rank times per round, and gives attack bonus to first attack on all targets if used successfuly.

bleeding

Post by bleeding » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Hmmm I've compared to Claw Frenzy and it seems inferior which is surprising as Claw Frenzy is 8th circle and Multi-Strike/Shot are 15th circle...

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:19 pm

"Claw Frenzy
continues only as long as the adept successfully hits with his attacks—if any attacks
miss, the series ends"

So first attack missed, you take 9 strain for 9 declared attacks, and that is it.