Optional Rules for Companion

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Dougansf
Re: Optional Rules for Companion

Post by Dougansf » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:10 pm

If there are any common house rules, this could be a good place for them.

More details about using a hex map, and facing. "Sticky" combat to prevent people from just running around enemies freely.
earthdawn66 wrote:not really Optional Rules but maybe an Errata page or two at the end for things that have been found and all in GM and Players guide
This (though I think it's inclusion has been mentioned before).

Along with some clarification on things that may not have been well defined in the original book. Like the qualifications for Wizard spells to Astrally-Sense a target. Or the duration of Stealthy Stride.

MetalBoar

Post by MetalBoar » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:29 pm

More details about using a hex map, and facing. "Sticky" combat to prevent people from just running around enemies freely.
I would second this.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:18 am

Mataxes wrote:
Kosmit wrote:Hit locations and different armor values on limbs?
Hrm... the piecemeal armor stuff? That's not a bad idea.
Piecemeal armor sounds scary. Moreover, I feel like it would destroy the idea of Thread Armor. Let's say you have Thread Item Crystal Plate. Nice, right? But you just got a MORE DIFFERENT set of Thread Item Crystal Plate. SCORE! Ummm ... can I wear the chest from one piece and the pants from the other to have threads to both? If so, can my buddy wear the other have, effectively allowing us to double dip? What if, instead, I just got these really neat Thread Item bracers? Well, maaaaybe without piece-meal armor, a GM could let slide that an Adept could just remove the bracers from this Crystal Plate and wear the extra bracers. Now? Obviously, the forearms don't get any of the armor bonus - mundane or thread - from the crystal plate, but now that the crystal plate thread item isn't complete, does it confer the same bonuses?

I guess that would be one of the points of the optional rules, though? To iron all that out?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:51 am

I guess you don't understand how piecemeal armor works?

Basically, piecemeal armor breaks armor up into different pieces (IIRC, small, medium, and large) and assigns armor ratings to the pieces (which are individually lower than the full set of armor). The idea being that you can have, say, a plate chest piece and hide arms/legs and get a sense of what the full armor value would be.

It was originally introduced in... Namegivers Vol 2? As a way of modeling a "bits and pieces" approach to troll armor (who might have trouble finding a full suit in their size). I haven't looked at the numbers in a while, but basically...

(Grabs the book and looks it up.)

Okay. Each piece of armor (small, medium, large) takes up a number of 'slots' (for lack of a better term) on a full suit. Small = 1, Medium = 2, Large = 3. A full suit has 5 slots, and you can mix and match pieces in that as long as you don't go over 5 total. So, a large and a medium; a medium and three small; and so on.

Each piece has physical and mystic ratings as well as initiative penalties based on its size. So... the sample I gave earlier... plate chest would be a large piece (4 phys, 0 mystic, init -3), and the hide bits would me a medium piece (1 phys, 0 mystic, init 0). This makes the armor 5 Physical, 0 Mystic, -3 Initiative. So... actually worse than a full suit of hide armor.

Not a system for min-maxing.

This doesn't factor in any kind of system for hit locations and the like. Designing a piecemeal armor system that would use hit locations... a bit more work.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:24 am

Yep, that's my bad. Wasn't familiar with "piecemeal" as a previous concept in ED, so I came up with a different (and wrong) interpretation. Seems like a nice, simple approach to what could otherwise be a messy topic. Thanks.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:29 am

Yeah. I think if I put that into the Companion I would have to look at the numbers a bit harder because... maybe I picked a bad combo, but that example was weak.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Lys

Post by Lys » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:12 am

Dougansf wrote:More details about using a hex map, and facing. "Sticky" combat to prevent people from just running around enemies freely.
There's already an Optional Rule in 3e that introduces something like that. Fleeing From Combat on page 229: "A character who wants to move to get away from a close combat fight he is involved in can only do so if his Initiative Test result is higher than that of his opponents." In my game, we interpreted it as also preventing you from running past enemies whose initiative wasn't lower than yours. As for facing, the way we ran it was that in characters were always facing either whoever they attacked that turn, or whoever first attacked them that turn, whichever happened first. So the Swordmaster running past an enemy to strike his back would not necessarily blindside her opponent because he can immediately turn to face her (though he can choose a different facing if he wants). After her attack the both of them with their chosen facings and cannot move for the rest of the turn, which the other combatants can exploit appropriately. This set-up worked pretty well for my group in terms of making fights interesting, dynamic, and tactical.

CPFCPF

Post by CPFCPF » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:38 am

We have a house rule about wounds. AFAIK the standard rule only implies one wound, when your wound threshhold is hit. In our campain all PC's and NPC's get a wound for each full wound threshhold reached. In example: Your Wound threshhold is 9 and you are hit by a 30 damage hit. That would result in three wounds. Ouchie!

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Lys wrote: There's already an Optional Rule in 3e that introduces something like that. Fleeing From Combat on page 229: "A character who wants to move to get away from a close combat fight he is involved in can only do so if his Initiative Test result is higher than that of his opponents." In my game, we interpreted it as also preventing you from running past enemies whose initiative wasn't lower than yours.
Wow, that's too harsh, to the point of boring combat. Only people with high initiatives ever get to move. It also means no chance for escape for archers and casters who get into melee.
Lys wrote: As for facing, the way we ran it was that in characters were always facing either whoever they attacked that turn, or whoever first attacked them that turn, whichever happened first. So the Swordmaster running past an enemy to strike his back would not necessarily blindside her opponent because he can immediately turn to face her (though he can choose a different facing if he wants). After her attack the both of them with their chosen facings and cannot move for the rest of the turn, which the other combatants can exploit appropriately. This set-up worked pretty well for my group in terms of making fights interesting, dynamic, and tactical.
We came up with something similar:
"Targets may change their facing out of turn 1/round, if another character moves alongside their border."

So a Thief who charges directly into their Blindside still gets the attack into their back. But you can't move the 3 hexes around to the Blindside and not have the target follow you.

We also treat hexes around an active, aware enemy as difficult terrain, costing 2 hexes of move each. So far, it has curbed the sprinting around in tight quarters, without negating movement entirely, and avoiding adding another roll to it (Attack of Opportunity or Dex roll to move through).

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:03 am

Maybe something like allowing the target to make a perception check with penalties to negate blindside bonuses or surprise strikes against opponents who ain't sneaking and moving from the target's perception arch to their backs.

On the other hand the battlefield is a loud, messy place where you focus both on killing your enemy and staying alive.