Praise for 4th edition Earthdawn

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Kosmit
Re: Praise for 4th edition Earthdawn

Post by Kosmit » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:56 am

I love 4th edition and the biggest and probably one complain you will hear from me is about utility spells.

I found it always funny that characters capable of calling elementals could have problem with igniting or levitating small stuff. Some Half Magic stuff. Also 4th edition lost many spells that was just there for fluff purposes (but also introduced a lot of great ones :)).

Marzhin

Post by Marzhin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:59 pm

I really like what's been done with ED4. I use EDC in my TV show mostly because it's already in French and therefore much more practical than having to translate rules on the fly, but else I'd be using ED4 without a doubt.

One thing I feel is missing at this point is some sort of campaign book detailing the new state of things in Barsaive and giving some adventure seeds and plot ideas to gamemasters. A lot of ED fans I know were really invested in the whole "upcoming war with Thera" thing, and now that it's in the past they don't really know what to do.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:21 am

Is it possible to release a smaller PG pdf? Now its 100MB compared to 15MB GMG.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:37 am

Kosmit wrote:Is it possible to release a smaller PG pdf? Now its 100MB compared to 15MB GMG.
I'll ask the person who does it.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

etherial

Post by etherial » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Mataxes wrote:
Kosmit wrote:Is it possible to release a smaller PG pdf? Now its 100MB compared to 15MB GMG.
I'll ask the person who does it.
Ask them to double-check the pagination while they're at it. Last I checked, the version in the webstore had the pages numbers implemented incorrectly.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:33 pm

I've been very "heads down" in my re-design notes, missed this thread.

I AGREE. ED4 is FANTASTIC.

It the cleanest implementation of the CoreStep system thus far, and it's actually been very good to work with (very standardized concepts.mechanics) while I re-design the Airship rules (so close to a workable Crew solution). I really want it to feel like Earthdawn even if we not using a 6 second combat round until you zoom in on Player Characters. Anyway, GREAT JOB.

OOOH, also, how are the ED4 Quickstart rules coming! I really want to share those around when I get people interested in ED4.

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:15 am

Bump. Any chance that the quick start rules are available to share?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:23 am

After I handed in the last revised chapters for Travar, I went back to the quick start to try and get that finished up. I've got to write up some basic background on the pre-generated characters, but otherwise it's in good shape.

Then we just need to get it laid out and up in the shop.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Telarus

Post by Telarus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:33 pm

Excellent 😊 I moved recently, and have been online via my (old win8) smartphone until we get internet at the new place, so I also wanted to let you know that the latest round of playtesting and revisions on the Airship chapter have not been edited into the online document yet. Really good feedback from my 1st edition ED GM on streamlining the combat rules and a new ship weapon type that will bring casters front and center during ship combat scenes. 😁

Mogre

Post by Mogre » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:08 am

I've been impressed so far with the new edition as well. I was going to house rule a few things from older editions but after reading everything in depth, decided not to. Everything fits together very well.

As for spreading the word, it can be tough. Fifth Edition D&D was released around the same time and that is the ultimate name recognition in the industry. That being said, I'm going to try to host a game at DunDraCon next year. Earthdawn would fit it nicely.