Status of Plant Talk?

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
The Undying
Status of Plant Talk?

Post by The Undying » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:15 am

Any chance we could get an update on whether Plant Talk has been removed as an Elementalist Discipline Talent? Previously, it was sitting at Circle 9, if I recall correctly.

I ask mainly because the Companion content is (hopefully) all done and just in pare down mode based on the last timeline-related product update. In that case, I imagine that this particular decision is set (always possible that the change of ~characters for a Talent name can royally hose layout, especially if art is involved).

I don't think anyone was particularly fond of this as a Warden Talent, period. I was the one who really challenged it's place as a Discipline Talent for Elementalist, but I don't horribly mind it as an Option Talent for Scouts.

The outcome on this is really the only reason I still haunt the forums occasionally. :D It's kind of the "make or break" for me on ED4.

My old entry on the topic: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=148&hilit=plant+talk&start=10#p1506

Mataxes

Re: Status of Plant Talk?

Post by Mataxes » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:29 pm

Yes.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Slimcreeper

Post by Slimcreeper » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:06 pm

I hope you will continue to haunt the forums either way, whether you are a 3rd ed ED holdout or a 4th ed convert.

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:37 pm

With Plant Talk out of the picture as a Discipline Talent for Elementalists, I'll be around. =)

While it seems like I've had plenty of bad things to say about ED4, I definitely believe it to be all-in-all better than previous editions. Change is hard, and while one hopes to always change for the better, there are inevitably some things that change for the worse. Moreover, change almost always requires compromise, which means some one/group is not going to be entirely happy.

I think it's just unhappy coincidence that my particular passions - magic in general, and Elementalists in Earthdawn - changed for the worse in a variety of painful ways (although they also definitely changed for the better). The compounding problems just reached a point where I no longer wanted to play it or run it. Plant Talk was just one of the black clouds on the horizon that contributed to that, and its removal gives me hope and makes me look forward to the Companion again. Hopefully, the Talent's replacement is more pro than con.

Anyways, my criticisms of ED4 problem areas in the past have been a bit aggressive, something I definitely admit to and apologize for. I'm trying to be more mindful of being constructive rather than destructive. :)