Question about the Passions

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
D Schneider
Question about the Passions

Post by D Schneider » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:26 pm

With the Questor book in the queue, I was thinking on the Passions and what they actually are. Are they a group of beings that ascended to a higher plane in an earlier age, are they magical constructs created by the belief of the peoples of Earthdawn and empowered by the magic of the world, or are they a direct manifestation of the world's magic?

Mataxes

Re: Question about the Passions

Post by Mataxes » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:39 pm

Those are very interesting questions. :D

The plan right now is to not have direct answers, but instead present a couple of different theories discussed in-setting.

When discussing the Passions, the one thing that always stuck with me is something Vasdenjas said in his treatise on dragonkind.
We acknowledge the power of the Passions, but we have seen Passions change many times over the years. If you could live to be as old as I, Tiabdjin--or any other dragon--then you would have a very different view of the Passions, I assure you.

Strange, is it not, that Name-givers of the Young Races revere the power of the Passions, look to them for strength, guidance, and wisdom, but at the same time turn away in fear from the same qualities in dragons? .... Perhaps because the Passions wear more comfortable masks. It is easier for Name-givers to seek what they need from beings cast in their own image than from creatures so different from them. No matter that I have looked upon the true faces of the Passions and can tell you with certainty that they are no more like you than I am, less so in fact.
Emphasis mine.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:59 am

Something that came up in a recent game: can Questor Powers be Dispelled via Dispel Magic?

The Undying

Post by The Undying » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:52 am

I don't see why not. Dispel Magic was expanded in ED4 so it can be used against any ongoing magical effect, not spell effect. Since Talents are included, makes sense that a Questor's Power would also be included.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:51 pm

The Undying wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:52 am
I don't see why not. Dispel Magic was expanded in ED4 so it can be used against any ongoing magical effect, not spell effect. Since Talents are included, makes sense that a Questor's Power would also be included.
I'm pretty sure that was always the case for Dispel Magic. 4E turned it into a Talent instead of a 1 thread wizard spell. Much better IMO.

I never looked too closely at Questor stuff when I was a PC in previous editions. But Ardanyans Revenge has Questors in it, so I ran into this situation. It also brought up the question if non-Adepts can become Questors.

PiXeL01

Post by PiXeL01 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:55 pm

Aren't some of the Questors in Ardanyan's Revenge non-adepts?
I cannot see why they shouldn't be, if they are induced with the powers by the Passions as reward for their servitude
Last edited by PiXeL01 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 am

PiXeL01 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:55 pm
Aren't some of the Questors in Ardanyan's Revenge non-adepts?
I cannot see why they should be, if they are induced with the powers by the Passions as reward for their servitude
There are a number of people who are "initiated" into the Order, but not necessary a Questor. And many of these entries have no stats, and may or may not imply that they are Adepts.

That said, I agree. I think non-Adepts should be able to be Questors.

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:20 am

Non-adepts can absolutely be questors. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the majority of questors are not adepts.

This is one of the things that will be addressed in more depth in the upcoming book, but here's some thoughts, mainly from a setting perspective.

Following a Discipline is hard it requires singular focus on an mode of thought that, when internalized, allows an individual to tap into and shape the world's ambient magical energy. As hard as it is to be an adept, it is even harder to follow multiple Disciplines, since you need to balance two or more of these devoted philosophies.

Questors require a similar degree of focus, devoting themselves to particular ideals and behaviors, much like an adept. The main difference is that while an adept's powers derive from their own understanding, and pursuit of, a particular philosophy, questors are rewarded by an external force (the Passion).

So, just like it should be hard to follow multiple Disciplines, it should be hard to follow a Discipline and be a questor. There are, no doubt, some combinations that are easier to manage than others, but it requires devotion and energy. It shouldn't be something you take on lightly.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Dougansf

Post by Dougansf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:26 am

Mataxes wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:20 am
Non-adepts can absolutely be questors. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the majority of questors are not adepts.
Makes sense to me. I imagine it would also be tough to have a budding religion if only a select few types of people could choose to be your empowered followers. :)

Any answer to my original question about Powers being affected by Dispel Magic?

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:26 am

"The adept stops any ongoing magical effect that is the result of a spell or talent. ...."
Questor is a talent. Or was in 3ed.