PDFs on iPad

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Jaracove
PDFs on iPad

Post by Jaracove » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:31 pm

Or iphone, actually.

Does anyone else have issues with the highlighting options on the iPad? I like using it to read my rpgs but it's impossible to highlight important text because the actual highlight is so large and blocky. It doesn't happen on all (most?) pdfs but it's a real problem with Earthdawn 4ed.

Other than using the manual red line highlighter which is a massive pain, is there a solution to this?

EDIT: Issues are on both Goodreader and PDF Expert.

quillius

Re: PDFs on iPad

Post by quillius » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:29 am

Yeah, I have the same issue. It's basically impossible to figure out what text will get highlighted.

Malinous

Post by Malinous » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:55 am

I have the same issue on all platforms. This includes PC / Windows. It is a huge source of frustration I grumble through.

sigfriedmcwild

Post by sigfriedmcwild » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:34 am

From my experience with the pdfs, it feels like there's 2 layers of text in the pdf: one visible and one invisibile in a much larger font (and with typos?). Selection seems to act on the invisible text.

I've seen something similar on documents that were scanned and the had the text extracted with OCR, but for these pdfs the text seems to be properly rendered and not an image (and it wouldn't make sense to generate them from a scan)

However, Acrobat Reader, Preview (on Mac), and iBooks (iOS) seem to handle the text correctly (including not having the typos when I copy paste)

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:55 pm

Just tried Adobe Reader Preview, and it works fine. So, Goodreader and PDF Expert which cost me money won't work but the free software does.

Mad.

Kosmit

Post by Kosmit » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:06 am

Foxit Reader lets you highlight text in the visible area. I recommend it :)

Jaracove

Post by Jaracove » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:05 am

I have Foxit reader for the pc but not for the iPhone. I'll check it out

Thanks