Wyrm Wood Blade

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
ChrisDDickey
Wyrm Wood Blade

Post by ChrisDDickey » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:54 am

Browsing quickly through Elven Nations, and practically the first thing that caught my eye (I started at the magical treasure) has left me quite confused. It seems to me that the description of the Wyrm Wood Blades explicitly says that at least one of the Key Knowledge's is unknowable and the Deed practically undo-able! (in one of it's versions)
These elegant broadswords are rumored to originate in Wyrm Wood, but no records exist of who made them. The True wood incorporated into the blade gives it a green tint, and the hilt is made of dark wood inlaid with spiral motifs, but hard as steel. The blades were thought incredibly rare but are increasingly appearing among those who wish to purify Blood Wood, most notably the Seekers of the Heart.
Those who know of these weapons believe the originals were created with wood from Oak Heart, and the creation of Blood Wood affected them due to this connection, changing their pattern. If such swords exist, they are Warden tier instead of Journeyman, with a Mystic Defense of 15.
Thread Rank Three: Key Knowledge: The owner must learn the Name of the sword’s creator.
The very first sentence of the Description: ... but no records exist of who made them.
The Research talent says that the TN to find "obscure" information is 11. What is the target number to find information for which "no records exist"? Why does it ask, who created this item, immediately after stating "no records exist of who made them"? How is this Knowledge to be found?

Thread Rank Five: Key Knowledge: The owner must learn where the wood and True wood used to craft the sword were harvested.
If you have a Warden sword, you can find the answer, it is Oak Heart. But if you don't have one of the original blades, then if you don't know who made them, I don't see how you can find out where the unknown guy got his materials.

Thread Rank Seven: Deed: The owner must go to the trees that provided the wood and True wood to craft the sword and pledge to either protect or heal Blood Wood.
Thread Ranks 7 and 8 only exist if it is a Warden item. So if it is a Warden Item, then the wood is from the one and only Oak Heart.
Page 27 says: The Queen of Blood Wood has sealed away the legendary Oak Heart, restricting access to only a trusted few.
The Queen of Blood Wood is adamant that the Blood Wood should not be "healed". So you ether have to get the Queen to give you access to the kingdoms most holy place, where only her most trusted allies are allowed, or you have to sneak into said place. Then you have the choice of ether swearing to protect the blood wood (queen is in favor of this), or trying to heal it (queen hates this idea and thinks it treasonous). Why even bother to have rules for what happens if they pledge to heal the blood wood. It's not likely to happen!

Tattered Rags

Re: Wyrm Wood Blade

Post by Tattered Rags » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:43 am

ChrisDDickey wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:54 am
Thread Rank Three: Key Knowledge: The owner must learn the Name of the sword’s creator.
The very first sentence of the Description: ... but no records exist of who made them.
The Research talent says that the TN to find "obscure" information is 11. What is the target number to find information for which "no records exist"? Why does it ask, who created this item, immediately after stating "no records exist of who made them"? How is this Knowledge to be found?
Not much of a quest if someone had written it down.
ChrisDDickey wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:54 am
Why even bother to have rules for what happens if they pledge to heal the blood wood. It's not likely to happen!
Why that sounds like the stuff of legends, if you ask me.
Adventure I'm running:
Under the Stars

Adventure GM post-mortem:
Under the Stars Postmortem

Galeb_G4

Re: Wyrm Wood Blade

Post by Galeb_G4 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:14 pm

Yes, it sounds more like lore than like quests to me. But then, it might well be a guideline for a talented DM to build a great game around!