Ship and Mass Combat

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Mcgarnagle
Ship and Mass Combat

Post by Mcgarnagle » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Back in 2017, Telarus posted a message to the RPGsite saying that ship to ship and mass combat rules were submitted to be part of the forthcoming Earthdawn companion. He received permission to post a limited preview of the rules that looked quite promising. Now that the Companion is out, I don't see any of these rules being published in the book, which is a little disappointing (But you did do a bang up job on the Companion despite my anticipation for these rules).

What happened? Have the rules been moved to be apart of a future publication?

Bonhumm

Re: Ship and Mass Combat

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:13 pm

I was unaware of this, the extended ship-to-ship rules do seem interesting and I would also like to know where/when they might become available although I hardly can think of any of the next announced books to be appropriate for those rules. They would have indeed been right in their place in the Companion.

For those interested; the post is at: https://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.p ... ass-Combat

If you are looking for actual rules in the meantime, there was some reasonably good ship-to-ship combat rules in the First Edition Serpent River book (page 94+). Those rules seems (to my surprise) to be completely missing in the 3rd Edition remake of the Serpent River (with also a vastly smaller list of ships descriptions).

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:20 pm

The chapter with the revised Airship/Riverboat rules ended up being cut from the Companion due to space.

There are plans for that material to be released. I can't say more at the moment.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Anunnaki

Post by Anunnaki » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:21 pm

Hiya,
Bonhumm wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:13 pm
Those rules seems (to my surprise) to be completely missing in the 3rd Edition remake of the Serpent River (with also a vastly smaller list of ships descriptions).
Sorry, but you are incorrect.

The "completely missing" rules you are referring to are in fact in the ED3 Gamemaster's Companion (and also in the EDC Gamemaster's Compendium). Yes, there are some more riverboat stats in the Serpent River, as there are airship stats in the Crystal Raiders book (plus a few more airship goodies). But the mechanics, et al, are in the salient Airships & Riverboats chapters. The rules in question are combined from the original ED1 books (for EDC of course, then for ED3).

The only rules we (RedBrick) didn't work on at the time were the ground-based Mass Combat rules, which appeared in the ED2 Companion.

Hope this helps!

Take kaer, James

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:33 pm

Anunnaki wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:21 pm
Sorry, but you are incorrect.
Well, they ARE missing from the Serpent River book as I said :D

I did not mean to offend however. I did suspect the rules might have been put somewhere else but I could not find them in the 3rd Edition core book but I had not thought of checking the GM Companion (I had actually even forgotten the existence of a GM Companion at all).

Thanks for pointing it out.

By the way: The Serpent River is my favorite Earthdawn book ever and the 3rd Edition remake streamlined it really fine by splitting the Aropagoi data away from the 'River' itself, it made it for a much smoother read.

Anunnaki

Post by Anunnaki » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:17 am

Heh. True -- it's not in the ED3/EDC Serpent River books (Nations Books). I'll concede that. :) (We thought it should be with the core rulebook.) No offense taken, btw. Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't an oversight on our part. ;)