Companion Wizard eleventh circle karma

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
Belenus
Companion Wizard eleventh circle karma

Post by Belenus » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi,

I have a question for the following part:
P. 42 Companion
Karma: "The adept may spend a Karma Point to allow an additional extra thread on a spell they are casting. The normal requirements for extra threads
still apply."
What is meaned by "The normal requirements for extra threads still apply."? The only requirement I know for extra threads is the maximum number of extra threads you can have for a spell in your circle. But with this requirement, the complete ability would be useless?

Also: There is no restriction to this ability? Meaning I can use it to weave 10 extra threads to one spell, if I just spend enough karma and time?

Thanks for your help
Belenus

Bonhumm

Re: Companion Wizard eleventh circle karma

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Belenus wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:33 pm
What is meaned by "The normal requirements for extra threads still apply."? The only requirement I know for extra threads is the maximum number of extra threads you can have for a spell in your circle. But with this requirement, the complete ability would be useless?
My understanding would be that max threads = Circle. I'm not sure why you would say its useless. You basically exchange a Karma point for a free (guaranteed) extra-thread instead of taking the risk of rolling 'for real' and failing.
Belenus wrote:
Also: There is no restriction to this ability? Meaning I can use it to weave 10 extra threads to one spell, if I just spend enough karma and time?
1st: Since usual requirements still applies, you could not use it to weave an extra 10 threads unless you were at least 10th Circle but even then:

2nd: Karma: "The adept may spend a Karma Point to allow an additional extra thread on a spell they are casting. : The singular would mean to me that this can only be used once per Thread Weaving.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:01 pm
Belenus wrote:
My understanding would be that max threads = Circle. I'm not sure why you would say its useless. You basically exchange a Karma point for a free (guaranteed) extra-thread instead of taking the risk of rolling 'for real' and failing.
"The adept may spend a Karma Point to allow an additional extra thread on a spell they are casting." This text says you are allowed an additional extra thread (increasing the maximum number of allowed extra threads), not that you receive an additional one. That's why I'm asking for the "normal requirements" except for the maximum number.
Bonhumm wrote:
Belenus wrote:
1st: Since usual requirements still applies, you could not use it to weave an extra 10 threads unless you were at least 10th Circle but even then:
This answer would be obsolete with my understanding of this ability mentioned above.
Bonhumm wrote:
2nd: Karma: "The adept may spend a Karma Point to allow an additional extra thread on a spell they are casting. : The singular would mean to me that this can only be used once per Thread Weaving.
Normally those sentences have an addition like "The adept may spend a Karma Point to allow an additional extra thread on a spell they are casting once each turn."

Bonhumm

Post by Bonhumm » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Belenus wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 pm
"The adept may spend a Karma Point to allow an additional extra thread on a spell they are casting." This text says you are allowed an additional extra thread (increasing the maximum number of allowed extra threads), not that you receive an additional one. That's why I'm asking for the "normal requirements" except for the maximum number.
Good point, I had missed the 'allowed' part. So this could mean:

a- It gives you the possibility to use 1 (yes, just 1, see below) more extra-thread above the usual (circle) maxiumum.
b- As previously stated, gives you a free extra-thread (i.e. no rolling)
c- All of the above.

So we will need a Dev's opinion on this I guess.

Belenus wrote:
Normally those sentences have an addition like "The adept may spend a Karma Point to allow an additional extra thread on a spell they are casting once each turn."
I disagree, all the other Karma 'Circle bonuses' of all Disciplines of all Circles always use singular and I never heard anyone claiming that they could use multiple Karma dice on the same roll.

ex:
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on Initiative tests.
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on Recovery tests.
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on Attack tests made while charging.
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on Interaction tests.

etc.

While the very few Talents that allow multiple Karma (the only one I can think of is True Shot) actually very clearly specify that they can use multiple Karma.

But then again: Dev, please help :cry:
Last edited by Bonhumm on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Bonhumm wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:27 pm
Bonhumm wrote:
I disagree, all the other Karma 'Circle bonuses' of all Disciplines of all Circles always use singular and I never heard anyone claiming that they could use multiple Karma dice on the same roll.

ex:
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on Initiative tests.
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on Recovery tests.
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on Attack tests made while charging.
Karma: The adept may spend a Karma Point on Interaction tests.

etc.

But then again: Dev, please help :cry:
Oh, good point, my mistake. I think this question is solved and doesn't need a dev, thanks :)
Bonhumm wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:27 pm
Belenus wrote:
Good point, I had missed the 'allowed' part. So this could mean:

a- It gives you the possibility to use 1 (yes, just 1, see below) more extra-thread above the usual (circle) maxiumum.
b- As previously stated, gives you a free extra-thread (i.e. no rolling)
c- All of the above.

So we will need a Dev's opinion on this I guess.
I "a" (or "c") would be the answer, I'd still have the question from above: "What is meaned by "The normal requirements for extra threads still apply."?"

Panda

Post by Panda » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Greetings,

This Karma ability allows you to weave an additional extra thread, extending the number of potential extra threads by one. You still have to actually weave the thread, it doesn't come pre-woven (this is part of the "normal requirements" for extra threads). As a note, this works whether you can normally weave extra threads or not. The normal requirements means it provides only one exception, the specified additional extra thread, nothing else.

Hopefully this provides clarity.

Best regards,

Morgan