Companion Enchanting Questions

Discussion on the Earthdawn game line, errata, and feedback not related to playing or GMing.
gortatrien
Companion Enchanting Questions

Post by gortatrien » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:04 am

A couple of questions from the Enchanting Chapter

What is the Poison Design Table for? The values I get don't seem to match up with the Ranks, EDN or Poison Effect Step of the Poisons in the GMG. I freely admit that I may have been doing it wrong because the attributes of the poisons don't always match up well with the descriptions in the Poison Design Table.

What are the stats for an elemental divining rod? We have the pattern to create it, but don't have other information about it. Is the Market price 2000 sp? How much does it weigh? Is the availability very rare like the pattern? Can it only be used to find the five true elements not orichalcum (since orichalcum doesn't have an opposing element)?

Should the market cost of Standard Matrix Spell Matrix Objects in the GMG be changed to 2000 sp since the construction cost is 1000 sp?

I thought this had been mentioned somewhere in the forums, but I couldn't find it, but what is the maximum thread rank for spell matrix objects? Is it the same as normal thread items, so the maximum for a standard matrix object is 4 ranks?

On the Alchemical Design Table, orichalcum is listed as not being available as an aspect for consumables, but further down the table under Base Cost, it lists a cost to use orichalcum as a design element for consumables. I assume those prices should be removed?

Edited to add additional questions.
Last edited by gortatrien on Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mataxes

Re: Companion Enchanting Questions

Post by Mataxes » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:12 am

I can't speak to the divining rod offhand, but the differences between what you can make with the poison design table when compared to the stats in the GM Guide are mainly the result of the GM Guide poisons being imported from previous editions, which didn't necessarily have a consistent underlying mechanical design structure.

(This is kind of the same reason you couldn't really use the spell design system in ED1 to build the spells in ED1. Among other reasons, the spells weren't built with that system because it didn't exist yet.)
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Panda

Post by Panda » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:58 am

The issue with Poison is actually the Table says "Step 5" when it should say "Step". The base Difficulty Number is equal to the Poison Step. For example:

Shadowmant Venom is Step 10, Damaging, Instant, with a 10/1 Interval. This gives 10 (Step) +1 (Damaging) +2 (Instant) +2 (Interval 10) = 15.

Yes, the elemental divining rod costs 2000 silver, it's very rare, an weighs 2 lbs. It can never be used to find orichalcum because it's a True element. There was a significantly longer description of it's creation as an example which was cut for space reasons. Oh the vicissitudes of editing.

RazanMG

Post by RazanMG » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 pm

Plz include that to errata, about Poison Design Table (p. 143) change.

Youre right Panda, my mistake, Rod cost is listed in enhanting.
Last edited by RazanMG on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Panda

Post by Panda » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:25 pm

I updated the errata after I replied, though the listed cost in the table is correct: that is the cost to enchant it. 2000 is the cost to purchase one (twice the cost to enchant).

gortatrien

Post by gortatrien » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Some more questions. I have also added them to the first post.

Should the market cost of Standard Matrix Spell Matrix Objects in the GMG be changed to 2000 sp since the construction cost is 1000 sp?

I thought this had been mentioned somewhere in the forums, but I couldn't find it, but what is the maximum thread rank for spell matrix objects? Is it the same as normal thread items, so the maximum for a standard matrix object is 4 ranks?

On the Alchemical Design Table, orichalcum is listed as not being available as an aspect for consumables, but further down the table under Base Cost, it lists a cost to use orichalcum as a design element for consumables. I assume those prices should be removed?

Mataxes

Post by Mataxes » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:05 am

gortatrien wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:30 pm
Some more questions. I have also added them to the first post.
You don't need to do that.
No. Per the description of the item in the GM Guide (pg 232):

"When a thread is woven to a spell matrix object, it activates the matrix contained
inside, which has the same rank as the thread woven to it. Once active, the matrix is
treated in the same way as the character’s other spell matrices.
"

It behaves just like the talent and has no rank limit. In theory, it could be raised to Rank 15.
Yeah, probably.
Josh Harrison - josh@fasagames.com
Earthdawn Developer, Forum Admin

Personal Website: www.loremerchant.com

Belenus

Post by Belenus » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 pm

gortatrien wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:30 pm
I just happened to stumble upon the same question and I couldn't find an answer to it?
Or should the Cost for a Standard Matrix in the Companion be reduced to 250s instead?